Methods of Selling Bad Hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkRevenant

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
I've got myself a clunker of a video card, an 11-month-old VisionTek HD 4870 512mb, which currently idles at 82C and peaks at Satan-knows-what, since on any game with 3d it just continues right up past 90C into 100C and then the game crashes and the driver resets itself. This is at 100% fan speed, too (very very loud). I cleaned the card of dust and the case temperature is low, there are many case fans, the air flow is good, and the CPU is frigid (33C idle, 40C peak).

Obviously I can't play any fucking games on this thing, so I have to get another video card. Hell, I need a new motherboard, too, since my model, some Gigabyte piece of shit, has many confirmed reports of catching on fire. I guess I would probably replace the CPU at the same time, as well, since it's only a dual core.

So, the question is, how can I get out of this mess? I doubt an RMA would work because, as you know, companies are anal. I've had it for almost a year now (and I'm about to go on a vacation that would put it over the year limit) plus I overclocked it slightly in the past, before the time when it overheated faster than the temperature gauge could refresh its readout. Ebay is not a viable option since I would probably not get away with selling an useless paper weight. I have a spare video card, but it blows chunks compared to what this one could do, and what most other people's video cards can do. Not to mention, I'm trying to develop a game and losing video performance is not helpful toward that effect.

Oh, and my budget is $30. Technically -$12,800, but let's be optimistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.