MIDI to USB

Ozzdog

Hopeless Toby Driver fan boy
Reaction score
Hi there guys!

I recently purchased an old Casio keyboard, and a MIDI to USB converter. I have Acoustica Mixcraft as a music recording program on my computer. I can't seem to get my keyboard to interact with this program though. Any suggestions, ways to test if it works?

Thanks,
Ozzdog

Jimpy

The Invisible Observer
Reaction score
Hi there guys!

I recently purchased an old Casio keyboard, and a MIDI to USB converter. I have Acoustica Mixcraft as a music recording program on my computer. I can't seem to get my keyboard to interact with this program though. Any suggestions, ways to test if it works?

Thanks,
Ozzdog

Check your keyboards instructions manual for instructions on setting the midi port to a default 0 or 1.

Check mixcrafts input and midi allowances. A lot of recording software isn't initially setup to allow midi input from outside sources.

The way midi works in brief, its a universal variable communications device. Each key on a keyboard equals a number value, and in the software (or on the keyboard) each note correlates to that value. Both devices need to be set to send and receive the same values from the same channel.

Also if your midi interface (the usb-midi cable) came with software, make sure its installed ahead of time, and plugged in/out before opening your software its supposed to work with (mixcraft in this case).

Ozzdog

Reaction score
My first problem is that its old, and I have no instruction manual.

Its a Casiotone CT-640 (hunk of crap, but never the less a keyboard)

more help is appreciated!

P.S. My MIDI to USB came with 0 software.

Jimpy

The Invisible Observer
Reaction score
Its a Casiotone CT-640 (hunk of crap, but never the less a keyboard)

So long as your cable is in the "Midi out" the hardware and cable should be in the right place.

Remove other USB devices when trying this out, its a troubleshooting thing, this likely is not the primary problem, but it is a small chance.

P.S. My MIDI to USB came with 0 software.

That's fine, midi is universal, software doesn't deal with midi differently in terms of inputs. Its a controller, not a sound file. This shouldn't be an issue. Software usually opens up more compatibility with newer hardware/software (even then, I'm not sure how exactly).

Which version of Mixcraft are you using? I think 1, 2 and 3 don't support midi recording, but 4 and 5 do.

Also to clarify, you specifically are wanting to play on your piano, and have it record what you do in the mixcraft software. Right?

Ozzdog

Reaction score
Also to clarify, you specifically are wanting to play on your piano, and have it record what you do in the mixcraft software. Right?
Precisely this. I was also hoping I could use it to record like I have before using the built in-on screen keyboard (except now replaced with a keyboard?), therefore using the cool sounds on the program.

I have 4.5

Jimpy

The Invisible Observer
Reaction score
Precisely this. I was also hoping I could use it to record like I have before using the built in-on screen keyboard (except now replaced with a keyboard?), therefore using the cool sounds on the program.

I have 4.5

So lets do a quick checklist:

Midi cable is plugged into keyboards midi-out?

Midi keyboard is on?

USB is plugged in and registers in your "Devices and Printers" as active?

Mixcraft is on and open?

You have set Mixcraft to allow midi-input?

Mixcraft has had the "Use keyboard (typing) as controller" turned off? This may conflict with your piano-keyboard being the primary input.

What midi options within mixcraft have you edited/looked into?

You have opened an instrument channel and tested playing with it?

You have tested recording to score?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.