Missing ranger skill, need ideas

Vexorian

Why no custom sig?
Reaction score
The rule in my map is to have 3 active skills, one ultimate and a passive skills.

Having as much synergies and combos as possible.

Anyways the Ranger currently has:

Multishot, autocast arrow spell that shoots multiple arrows
Forst arrows
Envenomed Arrow : Shadow strike with different stats and effects.
True shot aura: Also improves Multishot and makes the arrows of arrow storm 'intelligent', makes them seek targets.

Arrow storm, the ultimate; Channeling the ranger keeps shooting lightning arrows, the arrows aren't homing and units may avoid them, although they are fast, and they do damage depending on the ranger's agility, and true shot makes the arrows follow the units.

Anyways the problem is that Frost arrows and envenomed arrow stack making units incredibly slow, also Frost arrows and multishot aren't best friends, and I have the feel the ranger needs another JASS skill.

I'd want to replace Frost arrows with something else, what would you suggest so it fits the ranger and complements the other skills?

Grurf

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
How about this:

Magic Arrows Spray

The ranger quickly shoots a spray of arrows around her, going into random directions. They arrows go in a direction for a while, then they turn back and keep going towards the ranger until the reach her, then they turn around again etc. until they hit a unit. The higher the Multishot level, the more arrows you shoot. Envenomed Arrow makes these arrows poisonous, and the higher the level, the more poision damage and slowing they do. Trueshot aura gives them a greater collision so the chance an arrow hits an enemy becomes bigger. The level of the ability itself only increases the damage.

G

guitarplay

heres my idea, give ur hero a long-shot ability.

long-shot increases range and speed of hero yet gives a cahnce to miss
150% range
150% speed
65% chance to hit

maby those arnt exactly what u would use, but u could make it so it is a sort of last resort panic attack, and only used when here needs to consereve health, but the thing is it does not do as much killing as up close if u know what i mean, hope that helps :)

o and less damage make the arrows weaker
80% damage

A

AddE

Or this:
Arrow Rain : Like blizzard but with your archer shooting arrows coming from the sky in a area

NoxMortus

All Along the Watchtower
Reaction score
Hmm.. I wouldn't give the hero another arrow sorta skill to be honest..

I would try something related to the woodland, which most rangers are connected with, like 'Summon Bear' or 'Camouflage' or umm something which gives him a speed bonus or some other bonus while hes in an area abundant with trees..

Can't think of anything else, sorry.

A

AddE

NoxMortus said:
Hmm.. I wouldn't give the hero another arrow sorta skill to be honest..

I would try something related to the woodland, which most rangers are connected with, like 'Summon Bear' or 'Camouflage' or umm something which gives him a speed bonus or some other bonus while hes in an area abundant with trees..

Can't think of anything else, sorry.

Hmm yeah.. Smart idea NoxMortus.. Would be a little boring with only arrow skills.. what do you say about:

Dammit.. cant get any really good ideas just small bad ideas:

Craft Potion: Makes a healing potion

Gotta go eat.. But i have more of those small bad ideas :D

Edit : Ive eated now.. Soo.. More small bad ideas:

Well if you dont have any like rouge this skill could be used:

Invisibilty: Makes your archer move slower, but invisible.. So like Wind Walk...

or

The Dodger(the name sucks i couldnt come up with anything so you can change that if you want this skill): Makes your dodge chance being 90 %

or

Tree Camoflague: Makes the archer transform into a tree .. Good if hiding.. well.. ill probably make up some more ideas but this will be enough for now

R

Ruination

Turns ranger into a tree that is awesome, I like that a lot. Make her untargettable and remove her attacks but still allow her to move like when bugs bunny hides in a bush and tip toes around lmao. That is very unique.

UnknowVector

I come from the net ... My format, Vector.
Reaction score
You cant make a unit untargetable for that to work becuase unless the ability was timed the player couldnt select it to deactivt the ability or move.

R

Ruination

I assumed you could say unselectable to opposing players only, but that would be worth it to make it timed if that would work. Not sure about this, but invulnerability might prevent opposing players from tabbing onto her too.

S

Sanitarium

Frost Arrow Replacement

Overdrive, Powershot( something along those lines ): When activated(ie Defend) he empowers his arrows with a magical haste. Drains mana with every arrow. "every arrow" may or may not include multishot and arrow storm arrows

Improved arrow speed could mean several things:
harder to dodge arrows(obviously),
greater impact damage,
small knockback,
chance to wound target,
chance for arrows to "stick" damaging and slowing for a time
deeper venom arrow penetration = greater posion effect,
chance for temp stun ( probly imba for interupting channeling, could just not efect channelers )
chance arrow will penetrate target and continue through to units behind

I realize that most of these are just different disablers...something you were tryin to stop with frost arrows but that's pretty much what arrows do...damage and disable.

On a separate note, abilities such as NoxMortus suggested may or may not aply depending on your map type. Sprint, Ensnare, Hide, Blind, Any number of various traps, as well as summon wolves, bears, owls/hawks, or...heh, here's a jass one for you(depending on how your terrain is looking):

Living Lands: Various nearby destructables(ie trees) come to life for X ammount of time, after which they revert to original forms. These living destructables may die and/or move.

Anyrate, that's my two cents. Good luck with the map

Red Beard

Part-Time helper.... Full Time Lurker
Reaction score
What about a strike through effect... where the arrow continues on its trajectory. Kinda like the NE vorpal blade, but castable.

Oops didnt read post above last.. sorry

A

AddE

So what you say Vexorian.. Got the ability that youre looking for?

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
First, totally useless comments.

----

Ooh, Multi-Shot. Nice one Vex :)

Envenomed Arrows should be renamed to Toxic Arrows or something. It sounds better :)

----

Timed Shot -- (Simple cast on one unit) The archer stands still for a second, and then unleashes one incredibly piercing shot going through an important piece of flesh on the target. Arrow shoots through all enemies in a line up to the target unit, and the enemies undergo random decreases (movement speed if leg, attack speed if arm, attack if hand, slight gradual hp decrease if chest/head) and the punishment when it gets to the target unit is a lot less lenient. If Toxic Arrows is on, the arrow shot will give poison to all units it pierced through.

Think it's too much? Don't worry, I expect the percent off for things like attack, attack speed, and movement speed to be 1-5% depending on the level of the ability.

S

salempc

What about this:

Magical Longbow -
The Ranger Shoot an arrow as if she had a longbow, the arrow has magical effects and upon hitting the ground it will do AOE damage and probably some effect.

Vexorian

Why no custom sig?
Reaction score
It seems that it would be an arrow something that goes in a line , basically like shockwave but with other effects.

Anyways this ranger is a High Elf Female ranger, so I wouldn't love the idea of shamanistic powers or things that specifically involve wood (Too much like Night elves)

Also she is a ranged agility hero focused on damaging , so giving her a summon ability just wouldn't fit.

I think it would be an arrow skill mixed with arcane magic

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
how about something basic like arcane arrows just like an arrow but just adds x damage like the hunter can do in WoW.

Rad

Reaction score
Envenomed Arrows should be renamed to Toxic Arrows or something. It sounds better

Actually, Toxic arrows (in my opinion) sound worse... and also, it could be something like Poisoned Arrowhead or something. The entire arrow isnt poisoned :P

Also, about that 'turn the archer into a tree' thing. You could just make the archer invisible and make a dummy-bush that is moved to her position every .1 second.

A skill a ranger could have though, something like Sprint. or a trap from WoW (Frost trap, poison trap, physical trap, fire trap etc...).

M

maerlyn

How about an auto-castable spell that deals extra damage and requires no mana? But it takes off health every shot you fire, maybe does damage based on your health (20% hp = 180% spell damage). It could be called Justice. (from Diablo II, Sacrifice)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.