Motherboard Choices

master maste

Reaction score
I'm building a new computer and am stuck at motherboard choices...

I have chosen a GIGABYTE EG45M-UD2H G45 at the moment, but I have found out its matx and I'm wondering if I should probably get an atx motherboard?

All these different chipsets are confusing me.

Computer so far is:

Intel q9550 core 2 quad (LGA775)
2x corsair 2x2gb ddr2-1066
nvidia geforce gtx 260

Not really sure what Im looking for... but not something top of the line.
Any ideas?

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
umm it really depends what you want.. but here's a fairly medium system you can look at

motherboard - $165 AR, but it's one of the newer i7 ones

memory - 3gb at 1866 mhz for $25 AR - 1gb less for a much faster speed, definitely better

CPU $230 - quite a bit better then yours

graphics - depends on your needs, the one you have is probably a good choice, $150 AR

PSU - 500W modular $35 AR coupon: MAYPSU10

dont forget a hard drive, monitor, keyboard, cd/dvd drive, mouse, case, fans, and screen if you need them, but the stuff i laid out adds up to (165 + 25 + 230 + 150 + 35) = 605, which is probably a bit more then what you have, but it's newer stuff, even if at the low end, id go for newer stuff since then you can upgrade atleast

and while there isnt anything especially wrong with a (your) micro board, it lacks room for much improvement, giving you only 1 free pci slot for after you put in your graphics card, and also some cases might not have the holes for it in them, you may need to make them yourself

P.S. make a spreadsheet with different versions and then compare them

edit: also most graphic cards (like the one you picked) are much bigger then a micro atx motherboard, so they wont fit in a microatx case, which kinda defeats the purpose of the micro motherboard

master maste

Reaction score
Ok im gonna check out the stuff you mentioned...

what is this mail in rebate, and how do I get/apply for it?

Do places like newegg ship to new zealand?

edit: btw that memory you linked me to only got 2/5 stars.
they said that they couldnt get the memory to go past 1200 "Unstable over 1067mhz"

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
on newegg if you click on the "price after rebate" it brings you to a pdf which tells you how

it looks like this

2009-05-24_0834.png

and sry about the memory, it seemed to be good...

maybe this is better then?

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
Newegg gets expensive when buying from places other then North America.

master maste

Reaction score
Yea just figured out I would get double taxed if I bought off newegg so either way its cheaper to buy in nz.

Also did some maths and figured out it would cost $200ish dollars more to get an i7 system... so I'm going that way now. ($100usd)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.