Need Help With Ability Activate/Use Strings

Blood_Wraith

Reaction score
I'm trying to make it so if you have two of a similar ability, IE a weak version of Chain Lightning and a stronger version of Chain Lightning, it uses the appropriate one that you click. But instead of doing that, it uses the last-most ability instead of the clicked one (IE I use weak chain lightning, it uses strong chain lightning). Main reason I need to know a fix is because later in my map there's an item (spell book based) allowing you to summon multiple units (Summon Water Elemental with different stats/models), and while I can use other abilities such as Summon Misha or whatever, there's only so much summon spells before I run out and have to use the same TYPE of spell. I was trying to fix this myself, and failed. I tried editing the Activate/Use strings to different strings, such as different strings from abilities, or even using a number using shift + double click. Anyone know a fix for this? Help would be appreciated.

While I'm at it, let me ask another simple question: Editing the Combat - Call for help range in gameplay constants seems to do NOTHING! (Atleast for player related units, didn't try neutral hostile yet) I want alerted enemies to have a very low call for help range

Dirac

Reaction score
There's an ability named Channel which is highly customizable and you can change the order string for it, this ability also does nothing and it's purpose is for custom ability creation.
There are tutorials on how to use channel here

Dirac

Reaction score
There's an ability named Channel which is highly customizable and you can change the order string for it, this ability also does nothing and it's purpose is for custom ability creation.
There are tutorials on how to use channel here

EDIT: wtf double post? please remove

Blood_Wraith

Reaction score
Well it fixed the spells trying to be cast all at once, thanks! But how would I make the channel spell cast a spell like inner fire? Does it have to be trigger related? If so, please give me an example of that, I'm trying to do that right now. Also here's some rep.

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
Have a trigger that detects when the Channel-based spell is cast. Then create a dummy unit and make it cast Inner Fire or whatever on the target instead.

Blood_Wraith

Reaction score
I know that part, it's what I was trying to do. I just forgot (If I ever knew) how to make a unit cast ability on a unit/point. Give me an example please?

While I'm at it, let me ask another simple question: Editing the Combat - Call for help range in gameplay constants seems to do NOTHING! (Atleast for player related units, didn't try neutral hostile yet) I want alerted enemies to have a very low call for help range

KaerfNomekop

Reaction score
Trigger:
  • Unit - Order (Triggering unit) to Attack (Target unit of ability being cast)
    • Unit - Order (Triggering unit) to Night Elf Warden - Blink (Position of (Target unit of ability being cast))

Unit - Issue Order Targeting a Unit/Point
In the case of the point, remember to clear the leak.

Blood_Wraith

Reaction score
That's actually what I tried in the first place, but it only gave me presets. Do I have to make a preset? If so, how?

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
If your custom ability is based off Storm Bolt, just order the dummy to cast the preset ability (Mountain King Storm Bolt). Same goes for Inner Fire and all other spells.

KaerfNomekop

Reaction score
Or if the ability's based on Channel, use the ability whose order string is the same as the Channel ability's. So if your Channel ability has the order string "darksummoning", you would use "Special - Dark Summoning".

Blood_Wraith

Reaction score
Thank you! It worked. Now I'm trying to also make it work for Slow as well (I'm doing Slow, but in Item form, I HAVE to use a dummy because auto-casting spells screw up on items). So far it doesn't work for some reason... I'm using Slow as the base spell, and I'm ordering the dummy unit to cast it on the target unit of ability/item being cast. And yes I'm using Sorceress - Slow order, or whatever. I suppose it only works for the base spells of the preset spells?

Here's an example of my spell for Slow.

Trigger:
  • Events
    • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
    • (Ability being cast) Equal to Spell Dummy - Item Status Effect Enemy
    • Actions
      • Unit - Add Spider Web to SpellCaster (Spell Caster) 0420 <gen>
      • Unit - Order SpellCaster (Spell Caster) 0420 <gen> to Human Sorceress - Slow (Target unit of ability being cast)
      • Wait 1.00 seconds
      • Unit - Remove Spider Web from SpellCaster (Spell Caster) 0420 <gen>

KaerfNomekop

Reaction score
No, it works for any custom spell. Make sure your custom ability has the correct order string. Alternatively you could use Cripple, or Slow (Item).

Blood_Wraith

Reaction score
I figured it works with any spell as long as it has the same Activate/Use, and other strings. But I'm saying, this trigger does not work:

Trigger:
  • Spider Web
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Uses an item
    • Conditions
      • (Item-type of (Item being manipulated)) Equal to Spider Web
    • Actions
      • Unit - Add Spider Web to SpellCaster 0420 <gen>
      • Unit - Order SpellCaster 0420 <gen> to Human Sorceress - Slow (Target unit of issued order)
      • Wait 1.00 seconds
      • Unit - Remove Spider Web from SpellCaster 0420 <gen>

I'm 90% sure the part that's not working is

Trigger:
  • Unit - Order SpellCaster 0420 <gen> to Human Sorceress - Slow (Target unit of issued order)

I have a command to give me control of the neutral unit (SpellCaster) which is a Priest, and the trigger DOES give him the Slow ability, he just doesn't cast it. Why? Does he have to be a Sorceress or something? Or I'm sure its the (Target unit of issued order) part, I also tried Target unit of ability being cast, didn't work as well.

GFreak45

I didnt slap you, i high 5'd your face.
Reaction score
techtree requirements? i believe the sorceress slow required research, make sure that is eliminated, also make sure the mana cost is under what the priest has, and make sure the target is viable (ie: unit targeting abilities cant target locations, etc)

the event uses an item does not refer to the order, do event a target is issued an order targeting a unit and condition the order is "your item's order string"

or begins using an ability, and reference the target unit of ability cast rather than target unit of issued order

Blood_Wraith

Reaction score
Slow doesn't have any techtree requirements to begin with, and yes I checked it earlier. Also the mana cost is 0, and the cast range is 99999 (Infinite basically). It WORKS when the target is a fixed target, aka I pick this unit called Test Unit.

The trigger works 90% so far, the only problem is the target part.
Trigger:
  • Spider Web
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Uses an item
    • Conditions
      • (Item-type of (Item being manipulated)) Equal to Spider Web
    • Actions
      • Wait 1.00 seconds
      • Game - Display to (All players) the text: TESTEST

The part

Trigger:

What do I change (Target unit of issued order) to if I want this to work with items? Oh come on there has to be a way.

Also what do you mean by "your item's order string" items have order strings?! I think you mean the abilities order string.

Blood_Wraith

Reaction score
Yeah I tried this:
Trigger:
  • Spider Web
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Is issued an order targeting an object
    • Conditions
      • (Issued order) Equal to (Order(channel))
    • Actions
      • Wait 1.00 seconds
      • Game - Display to (All players) the text: TESTEST

The ability is used via item, it DOESN'T detect it as an order apparently. Still need help here...

EDIT: Nevermind... I just did this instead and it worked

Trigger:
  • Spider Web
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Spell Dummy - Item Status Effect Enemy
    • Actions
      • Unit - Order SpellCaster 0420 <gen> to Human Sorceress - Slow (Target unit of ability being cast)
      • Wait 1.00 seconds
      • Game - Display to (All players) the text: Spider Web!

Guess I'm done here, still it would be nice to know how to get this to work via item, so I don't have to make a separate ability for every freaking item.

GFreak45

I didnt slap you, i high 5'd your face.
Reaction score
the ability that is attached to your item has an order string, and the event should be a unit is issued an order rather than uses an item, that has no reference to target unit of issue order, thats like having the event X unit takes damage, then you reference the damage dealer with casting unit, there never was a casting unit

and the second one is right, but you could just have the ability attached to the item, so you click to cast

KaerfNomekop

Reaction score
1). "A unit uses an item" has no event response for the targeted unit which I can find. Perhaps there isn't one.
2). If multiple items have the same ability, then using one triggers the cooldown for all of them. It's far more logical to have an ability for every individual item. Also you can detect targets through "A unit starts the effect of an ability".

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.