Need ideas for abilities for a "Stealth" map

HG-Bonfire

Reaction score
I've been working on this map for awhile now, and I'm afraid I've quickly been running out of ideas for original heroes and abilities.

Basically, the game works like this: You have a large castle surrounded by woodlands on all sides. At the center of this castle sits a king, heavily guarded by Elite Archers and Footmen. Also assisting in his defense are 4 User-Controlled Heroes named "Advisors". I would like to have 8 different Advisor heroes for the Players to choose from, and they should all fill certain niche's for the game. In the woodlands outside of the castle, we have a camp with six User-Controlled Assassin Heroes. I would like 10-12 Assassin hero classes, but that might be unrealistic... The Assassin hero classes would also fill necessary niche's to the Assassin's game plan, either by being able to get to places easily or have other nice moves that would help them out. In the town itself, there are various Peasants and Guards stationed at specific spots. I made a (very obnoxious to set-up) Peasant trigger that makes it so when a Peasant sees an assassin, they run off and get a guard.

The problem I'm having is thinking of abilities that work in this setup for the game. The Advisor Heroes abilities should be focused around gathering information, but the ability shouldn't get so powerful that it becomes impossible for the Assassins to acomplish anything.

Just for an example, here's one of the Advisors I've put together.

Blood Elf Advisor (I'll name him better later)
Ability 1 - Mana Seekers: Based on Locusts, but has a much much higher range, the Locusts cover a large part of the map and whenever they bite an enemy unit, the Advisor gets a ping on the minimap for that spot.

This is a good example of an information gathering ability.

Ability 2 - Overload: The advisor targets a unit for a set period of time. A lightning effect is created between the two and a buncha other special effects happen (Mostly for Show). While the ability casts, the targetted unit is slowed to 1/2 it's speed. If the unit can get out of range of the spell before it finishes, then it has no effect. But, if the unit is still in range at the end, then He is both hit with a 5 second stun and has all of his mana drained.

This is an example of an "Anti-Escape" Move, and also as a nice finishing move should an assassin come into range.

Ability 3 - Etherial Marking: The Advisor marks a unit, either friendly or enemy. For a (rather long) period of time, the advisor is able to see what that unit is able to see.

This move is good for information gathering and as an anti-escape. The advisor can mark guards or peasants and be alerted when they see an assassin, or he can put a mark on an assassin (if he can get close enough, the range of the move is rather short) and make sure that the assassin can't escape.

I would really appreciate it if somebody could think of some more heroes that could work like this.

There's also the assassins, and they are more specifically set up. An assassin hero should be really good at accomplishing 1-2 tasks. I have a sniper assassin with the ability to instant kill only one unit as an ability. I have an assassin with the ability Midnight, which disables the Peasant trigger and sets the visibility of all units except for the Assassin to next to nothing. I've got an assassin that is good at destroying destructables like doors and rock chunks, and also has an ability that can render him immune to magic, which allows him to travel through a section of the city without triggering the magic-based alarm system. I have an assassin that has a very short range blink ability that allows him to jump through doors and over walls, but is unable to attack.

The point is that I'm running short on ideas, and if anybody can think of a hero or ability that would fit this theme I've got going, it would be very helpful. :)

nabbig2

Reaction score
How about a move for an Advisor that is designed to chase down enemies-The move called Capture, when used on an enemy unit, nets it down for a long time-but the Advisor, in turn, takes more damage during this period.

HG-Bonfire

Reaction score
How about a move for an Advisor that is designed to chase down enemies-The move called Capture, when used on an enemy unit, nets it down for a long time-but the Advisor, in turn, takes more damage during this period.

Sounds alright, but the real problem I can see with it is that the Assassin team is purposefully lacking in firepower when fighting the Advisors directly. Having an advisor take extra damage temporarily doesn't mean much, because the Advisor's vastly overpower the assassins in health and damage-dealing, while the assassins in turn tend to be faster or more evasive than the advisors. A single advisor aught to be able to kill all 6 assassins if they were fighting head-to-head.

Another thing that I forgot to mention, The assassins (Or atleast most of the assassins) are given the move Hide, while all of the advisors are given the move True Sight.

nabbig2

Reaction score
Oh, so you're worried about assassins being to weak. Well, try giving an assassin a good AOE move, or good agility game so that later on, he can Deal a lot of Damage per Second.

WastedSavior

A day without sunshine is like, well, night.
Reaction score
I love the map idea

Dimensional Rift
You may place several portals in locations across the map, and use the rifts to move swiftly across the map.

Subdue
If you sneak up behind a guard or villager, you may render it incapacitiated.

Trap
Traps can vary from physical damage, magical restraint, or an early detection system.

Wizard Eye
You summon a fast moving unit with great sight, you can scout very quickly, but you are immobilized while using it. (Can be unsummoned to resume mobility)

Time Stop
The casters attack speed, and movement speed are halved.
All other units in map are frozen in time temporarily.

Tracking
Nearby units on the minimap are pinged, allowing for easier navigation around them.

Cloak of Fear
nearby units lose control and wander around aimlessly for the duration.

Just a few ideas, lemme know if they are in the right direction.
:thup:

HG-Bonfire

Reaction score
Oh, so you're worried about assassins being to weak. Well, try giving an assassin a good AOE move, or good agility game so that later on, he can Deal a lot of Damage per Second.

The assassin's aren't trying to kill the Advisors, they just need to get to the King to win. The idea is that if an Assassin comes into contact with an Advisor, the Assassin should either have an ability to help escape, or probably die, and the Advisors should have abilities to find assassins and catch them.

Wasted Savior: Some of those could work pretty nice! I'll definitely see if I have a hero set up that could use them (Demon Hunter is looking good for Subdue and the Sharpshooter might be able to use Tracking...)

WindexIsBack

Reaction score
Flash Grenades - Lobs a half dozen grenades which causes units in the vincity (including you) to not be able to attack or cast spells. Enemy units have reduced movement speed (possibly even pause) while you do not.

Impersonate - Changes your hero into an enemy hero (without abilities). At the same time, this skill might change your player name to something else, and ally you with the enemy until the spell ends.

Away in the smoking time - If at least 3 trees are close to you, you can set them on fire causing a good deal of smoke. Being in this smoke radius turns you invisible (vision-blockers are also thrown on the ground near the smoking trees)

BoobyTrap - Casts on an item. When a unit picks up the item, the trap will spring dealing damage/another effect.

nabbig2

Reaction score
Oh got it. Well if the assassins are supporting the king, I think it would be logical to give an assassin a move that increases the king's regen and armor. My 10 cents.

HG-Bonfire

Reaction score
Uhhh, You're close, but not quite there yet...

The assassins are attempting to assassinate the king. That's their goal.

The Advisors are attempting to capture and kill all of the assassins and keep the king alive.

However, your advice still works, and I was overlooking that particular outlet for abilities. Having advisors that can protect the King directly is a great idea, thank you. :D

Man-o-Bomb

Reaction score
Disguis
The assasin will temporaly be transformed to targeted Peasent/guard. Allowing it to sneak in.

Shadow Charge
The assasin will charge with doubled speed, giving him 75% evasion.
The effect will stop if the assasin stops moving, runs into something or gets attacked.

False Alarm
When used, the peasent farthest away will call for help.

Assasins Shadow
Creates an image of the assasin. The image will run to targeted point of ability being cast. If the image reach the point without dying, the assasin will replace it.

jonadrian619

-___-
Reaction score
It's rare to see these kinds of strategic maps, I like these types sure!

Presence Wards
Creates a ward at a target point, with X HP, just like the ordinary Wc3 wards like sentry ward, yet they do nothing at all. The catch is that when the assassin (or the player in this matter) right-clicks the ward and is in close range (preferably 300-400), the assassin will automatically teleport to the ward. These wards last quite long and are invisible to Advisors, so it would be useful to first set up wards in a pattern that would help you escape easily.

Hide
The assassin hides in a tree, renering him unselectable and his tint (his vertex color) colored pitch black, not invisible.

Food Lure-In
Throws in a piece of food, be it chicken, rice balls or fried dumplings, at the target point, luring potentially hungry guards to the food. If a guard eats it, his HP increases, as well as a temporal boost in attack damage and move/atk speed.

Sidestep
Merely passive evasion cannot counter some attacks like Attack-Ground or particular abilities. When used, the assassin sidesteps, avoiding physical damage, then returns to his original point afterwards. Precise timing is crucial in using this ability.

Smoke Grenade
Throws a smoke grenade at the target point (or in front of the Hero), covering the area with thick gray foggy smoke that is harmless and is meant to hinder sight and detection to make room for escape.

Agile Sprint
An assassin's trademark. Sprints towards the target point fast-pacedly and lightfootedly.

Blow Dart
Shoots a blow dart that travels in a line that follows the direction of the target point, and the first guard/peasant that it hits will be paralyzed after some time. If it hits an Advisor or the King, it will merely deal a tiny bit of poison damage for a very short time, so it's not good if it's just used to kill advisors/the king.

I've got nothing for advisors atm. If I ever make up one I'll respond to this thread with the ideas!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.