Need Map Help

OMGletterz

Reaction score
Ok, I have spent a few days creating this map. And I just finished it. I went to go test it with a friend but Warcraft III (ROC) just completly freezes on the first round. I can't Control+Alt+delete out, or anything to close it. The only thing I can do is pull my power plug out of my computer then turn it back on. I am a novice map maker, and I can't for the life in me find out what is wrong! Can someone please help me? I'll upload the map if someone tells me where I can upload it too.

Thank you very much
-OMGletterz

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like you may have an infinite loop in a trigger somewhere. This is the only map that does this, right?
Assuming so, recheck your triggers carefully.

OMGletterz

Reaction score
I am looking over it, I didn't use any loop triggers... And Neither do I know what they are, I am still a beginner. I still don't see anything! I am confused about what I did wrong.

crabbb622

Reaction score
For future reference, you should probably test your map more frequently (like before you write your whole code to find that it doesn't work all), by pressing control-F9

Edit: If you're really stuck, you can do what they call "tracing". choose a trigger and make let the game run up to that point, but at the end of that trigger, disable all the other triggers. if it reached that point without crashing, you'll know that it wasn't that trigger, and if your triggers are sequential, it must be anything after that trigger. and keep doing it until you've isolated the problem

OMGletterz

Reaction score
Alrighty, will do. Will post back in a bit if I still can't find it.

Edit: Ok, I just went through about 5 triggers for spawning the units, they all freeze and I think I am really going to screw up my computer becuase I have to keep pulling out my power cord. Can someone who is really good with triggers take a look at my map? I am not asking to test it becuase I don't want to mess up your computer, but look at my spawn triggers please! Put the link to a site so I can upload my map.

HG-Bonfire

Reaction score
You can attach your map to a forum post, it's the paperclip up at the top of the options next to the smily face and the undo and redo buttons.

OMGletterz

Reaction score
Alright, I got it attached, thank you for that! Someone reply back please if they find out something.

Attachments

• Your Last Stand.w3m
    146.4 KB · Views: 119

crabbb622

Reaction score
You should post one of your triggers on here. right click the name of the trigger (right above events, not the list of triggers, i think) and click copy as text. then, on here, click on GUI tags (that lowercase a next to the exclamation mark) and paste it.

Also, there's an option to attach files to your posts if you look lower down (can't be in quick reply mode)

I overexplained all that but oh well, kind of curious to see what's going on.

edit: oh, great, lol. Anyways, i'm looking at it now. will say.

edit: Whoa! you've got 460 units created at once! you know that? you should try deleting some of the spawns and see if that helps. don't do anything else, so you can press ctrl-z, so u don't have to redo the code. I would help you myself, but i'm low on time, yea i'm going now, i'll see it tomorrow

edit: nope, wait, 1 last thing. your terrain/map layout looks really cool :D

dragonhord

Knowledge is true opinion. - Plato
Reaction score
Evidently your biggest problem would definitely be leaks from what i can see... All of your spawn triggers leak and they leak pretty drastically...
Trigger:
  • Round 2
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 11 (Dark Green) Dies
    • Conditions
      • (Player 11 (Dark Green) Food used) Less than or equal to 0
    • Actions
      • Game - Display to (All players) for 10.00 seconds the text: Congratulations! He...
      • Player Group - Pick every player in (All players) and do (Player - Add 10 to (Matching player) Current gold)
      • Wait 20.00 seconds
      • Game - Display to (All players) for 10.00 seconds the text: Round 2
      • Unit - Create 20 Zombie 2 for Player 11 (Dark Green) at (Center of Red Zombie Spawn <gen>) facing (Player 1 (Red) start location)
      • Unit - Create 20 Zombie 2 for Player 11 (Dark Green) at (Center of Blue Zombie Spawn <gen>) facing (Player 2 (Blue) start location)
      • Unit - Create 20 Zombie 2 for Player 11 (Dark Green) at (Center of Teal Zombie Spawn <gen>) facing (Player 3 (Teal) start location)
      • Unit - Create 20 Zombie 2 for Player 11 (Dark Green) at (Center of Purple Zombie Spawn <gen>) facing (Player 4 (Purple) start location)
      • Unit - Create 20 Zombie 2 for Player 11 (Dark Green) at (Center of Yellow Zombie Spawn <gen>) facing (Player 5 (Yellow) start location)
      • Unit - Create 20 Zombie 2 for Player 11 (Dark Green) at (Center of Orange Zombie Spawn <gen>) facing (Player 6 (Orange) start location)
      • Unit - Create 20 Zombie 2 for Player 11 (Dark Green) at (Center of Green Zombie Spawn <gen>) facing (Player 7 (Green) start location)
      • Unit - Create 20 Zombie 1 for Player 11 (Dark Green) at (Center of Pink Zombie Spawn <gen>) facing (Player 8 (Pink) start location)
      • Trigger - Turn on Round 3 <gen>
      • Trigger - Turn off (This trigger)
Needs to look something like
Trigger:
  • Round 2
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 11 (Dark Green) Dies
    • Conditions
      • (Player 11 (Dark Green) Food used) Less than or equal to 0
    • Actions
      • Game - Display to (All players) for 10.00 seconds the text: Congratulations! He...
      • Player Group - Pick every player in (All players) and do (Player - Add 10 to (Matching player) Current gold)
      • Wait 20.00 seconds
      • Set SpawnPt = Center of Red Zombie Spawn <gen>
      • Game - Display to (All players) for 10.00 seconds the text: Round 2
      • Unit - Create 20 Zombie 2 for Player 11 (Dark Green) at (Center of Red Zombie Spawn <gen>) facing (Player 1 (Red) start location)
      • call RemoveLocation (udg_SpawnPt)
      • Set SpawnPt = Center of Blue Zombie Spawn <gen>
      • Unit - Create 20 Zombie 2 for Player 11 (Dark Green) at (Center of Blue Zombie Spawn <gen>) facing (Player 2 (Blue) start location)
      • call RemoveLocation (udg_SpawnPt)
      • Trigger - Turn on Round 3 <gen>
      • Trigger - Turn off (This trigger)
And you want to do that for each player... In each spawn trigger... So it doesn't store the location as random data... you might want to check out the memory leak tut.. There are a few of them and they are quite helpful.. Leaks can definitely harm a map, and it is a good idea to remove them all :p.

OMGletterz

Reaction score
Where do I find the action call RemoveLocation (udg_SpawnPt) that is in the last response? Just a reminder I am on ROC.

crabbb622

Reaction score
yes, you need to read up on leaks later, but that's more advanced than the problem at hand. the problem is that you are spawning 20 zombies times 8 players...160. oh crap, my bad. It still may be a problem, though.

oh, in case you didn't know, i'm talking about the trigger called Round 1, where you spawn the zombies

edit: yep, it's definitely the numbers. See, i disabled half the spawns for round 1 and was able to play. once i got to round 2 (which i left alone), it froze. I was, however, able to minimize the game, or control alt delete to exit warcraft. Probably the differences in our computers.

So what you can do is have the zombies spawn in 2 waves of ten, say maybe 5 seconds apart. If that doesn't work, you can split it up even more.And if you don't want the zombies coming in 5 seconds apart, you can put a wait on the attack trigger.

Playing one round, i could see how the game would be fun. Good job, although i might point out that you made over 9000 typos

dragonhord

Knowledge is true opinion. - Plato
Reaction score
Where do I find the action call RemoveLocation (udg_SpawnPt) that is in the last response? Just a reminder I am on ROC.
Ermm all you have to do is find the Custom Script function... But I don't know if RoC has it... You would have to look. But it's a custom script. So... yeah lol... And you might want to add waits between unit spawn just because spawning 160 units at once.. Yeah... That can cause problems XD.

OMGletterz

Reaction score
Alright I don't see custom scripts anywhere so that's outta the question, but I am working on halving the units to spawn 10, then another 10 after a few seconds. Will write back if it works

OMGletterz

Reaction score
Great! I have another problem now! I made it so people can train a zombie and when it is finished training, it sends 20 Zombies to the spot they trained it at, but it freezes again after it finishes building. I thought my problem was too many zombies, so I changed it from 20 to 10 and tested... Still freezes, can anyone tell me what I did wrong this time?

crabbb622

Reaction score
Try changing it to one zombie. And i must comment, the region Whole Map is incredibly unnecessary, as there is a function called "Playable Map Area"

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.