Need tips on building a computer

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I am in need of some help on deciding what I need for my computer that I am planning on building. I currently have decided on some parts (I think they work together), but I need tips on power and cooling.

Here is what I am thinking of getting at the moment: (Note: I do not have a very big budget for this, so it is not going to be super amazing).

I basically want to know if it will all work together and what power and cooling I will need.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
im not sure about the nameless 450W psu, i would recommend buying the case and PSU separately if you cant find out exactly what model it is

for the hard drive, this has a longer (5 year vs 3 year) warranty for almost the same price, just thought id point that out

for the graphics, this seems better in every way, including cheaper (slightly)

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok, thanks.

I was planning on getting the PSU seperately, but I just do not know what would be a good one to get at the moment.

Exide

I am amazingly focused right now!
Reaction score
I've used two Crosair PSU's and both have worked very well for me. So I would like to recommend them.

I have also heard good things about Zalman's PSU, which (supposedly) come with some nifty "sock" that you wrap around your cables, to keep your computer nice and tidy.

The most important aspect to look at is probably if the PSU is marked with an '80 Plus' mark. '80 Plus' guarantees that the PSU performs very well.
(More info: http://www.80plus.org/80what.htm)

How much Watt do you want then?
Well that depends on what GPU you want, and if you want to upgrade in the future. -Do you want CrossFire/SLI in the future? -How much does your system need to run at all?

A regular computer today would run on 450W.
GPUs tend to consume a lot of power, though.
If you want to be asolutely freaking sure that you can put in another GPU and not have to worry ever again, you should get around 800W. No system will ever need that much power, and it's even enough power to start a car on. :p

You also want to make sure that your PSU has at least two 6-pin cables.
Some GPUs even require 8-pin cables.
Some cables are 6+2-pin, which is the same as 8-pin, but they look funnier.
(http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/pcie6plus2.jpg)

A modular PSU is also nice, to keep the cables to a minimum.

For your current system I would recommend a Corsair 450W PSU.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139003
(If you decide on buying another GPU (SLI), I would go with a Corsair 550W PSU.)

Samuraid

Advisor
Reaction score
I strongly agree with Exide's choice of Corsair. Also, 400-550W sounds like the right range for your build (which will draw about half that under load). Don't waste money on more unless you plan to add exceptionally heavy (multi-GPU) graphics in the future.

Also, the 9400GT is quite underpowered. You would have much better performance for your money by getting a Geforce 9600GT or even a Radeon 4830/4850, which can be had for less than $100 USD these days.

kingkingyyk3

Visitor (Welcome to the Jungle, Baby!)
Reaction score
Hmm, I heard Silverstone's PSU works efficiently.
9400GT will be the bottleneck of this system. Get at least 4770. If you like n brand, get 9600GT. =)

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips.

I think I will upgrade the graphics card to the 9600GT, as was recommended and I will have a look at some Corsair PSU.

Samuraid

Advisor
Reaction score
In addition to Corsair, you might also consider: PC Power and Cooling, Antec Earthwatts, and Silverstone.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh, I forgot to ask... What sort of cooling will I need (how many fans etc.)?

Samuraid

Advisor
Reaction score
At minimum, you'll want a good 120mm exhaust fan on the case (in addition to what the power supply might provide). Most cases come with such fans.

Optionally, if you overclock or have more than 1 HDD, you should consider having an additional fan at the front of the case to pull air in over the HDDs and increase overall airflow.

Also bear in mind that if you overclock heavily (requiring core/memory/chipset voltage increases), your heat dissipation requirements may go up dramatically and you may need to add additional cooling. Most overclocking will require a better CPU heatsink and fan. That said, I've done some overclocked computer builds, and 2 x 120mm case fans + the power supply fan + an upgraded CPU cooler generally provide ample cooling for such configurations.

EDIT: Warning! The RAM you selected in the first post is not compatible with the motherboard. You selected a SO-DIMM which is for a laptop motherboard. You need standard 240pin DDR3 RAM. If possible, get two modules (2x 2GB or 2x 1GB so you can run it in dual channel).
Example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231253

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
EDIT: Warning! The RAM you selected in the first post is not compatible with the motherboard. You selected a SO-DIMM which is for a laptop motherboard. You need standard 240pin DDR3 RAM. If possible, get two modules (2x 2GB or 2x 1GB so you can run it in dual channel).
Example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231253

Thanks, I didn't pay much attention to the RAM :p

I have my case/motherboard/power now and I am going to be ordering my processor/cooling/hard drive/graphics card soon :)

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
static.png

A anti-static strap is all you need.

kingkingyyk3

Visitor (Welcome to the Jungle, Baby!)
Reaction score
A anti-static strap is all you need.
No, touch the metal casing and the static charges will all gone.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Can someone just confirm that the processor I have chosen is compatible with my motherboard? I am just interested because my motherboard says that it is compatible with AMD Phenom, however it does have a AM3 slot, which is what my Athlon needs.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
they are compatible; they are both socket AM3

amd is backwards-compatible in a sense that you can put a new CPU (AM3) in an old (AM2) motherboard

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thankyou very much.

Exide

I am amazingly focused right now!
Reaction score
How would I do that?

I'm guessing you need to flash the BIOS after you assembled your computer, then install an updated version of it.
There are usually tools and guides available at the manufacturers website for this.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.