new laptop

holy_spirit

Reaction score
I decided to buy a new laptop for my needs
and I found Toshiba Satellite A200-1M7 as a good one for me ...

me needs :
-working in visualStudio 2005 (high priority) open more than one at the same time
-playing games (TFT) and SC II, and new games (low priority), also playing using local network
-working on oracle 9i at the same time with visualStudio 2005 (normal priority)

what to you think, is that good choice ? or it higher than I need

turok255

Reaction score
Zomg!

Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition

It has windows vista... my opinion is...

NO

Heres why...

#1 Vista is not compatable with ALOT of things... (Such as TFT and RoC)
#2 If you get that and you play WoW you will have to downgrade somthing... Forgot what it was but WoW and TFT had this thing where screen went black for 2 seconds then waited about 5 seconds and did it again till i closed program....
#3 I have vista... its a pain in the ass... Ever seen a mac Vs. PC comercial? They 100% true...

PC: Hey mac...
MAC: Hey PC...
PC's body guard (Nortons): MAC is talking, Accept or decline.

Every time you do somthing!... and if you turn it off... well then you basicly can get hacked / virus' easy... i did it watched a vid and had to restore my entire system... all my TFT maps gone... main reason my mortal kombat map came to a hault... now i back up all my maps and music files to a flash drive...

So again... save yourself the trouble DO NOT GET VISTA. other than that the computer is good :)

Rad

Reaction score
Theres nothing wrong with vista, when it first came out it lacked support and its true alot of older hardware and older programs. If you're really going to believe the mac commercials then maybe you shouldn't be using Windows at all :rolleyes:

But if your getting a laptop you might want to get XP. The hardware for laptops cost alot more than for a regular XP machine, so if your going to get Vista you'll need more system resources resulting in a higher cost.

holy_spirit

Reaction score
#1 Vista is not compatable with ALOT of things... (Such as TFT and RoC)
its a first time a hear a bout that, no one of my friends test TFT or ROC on VISTA
seems to be a good advice

Rad said:
Theres nothing wrong with vista, when it first came out it lacked support and its true alot of older hardware and older programs. If you're really going to believe the mac commercials then maybe you shouldn't be using Windows at all

But if your getting a laptop you might want to get XP. The hardware for laptops cost alot more than for a regular XP machine, so if your going to get Vista you'll need more system resources resulting in a higher cost.
I dont know, somebody says dont get it, somebody not
I had to make some searches about that

Rad said:
dont worry about money :D
anyway I think If I got it... i wont upgrade it for at least 3 years
Thank you Rad

Rad

Reaction score
Heres an idea to think about, the system requirenments on Hellgate: London is 1gb of RAM, 2gb if your using vista...

Now, of course, that doesn't make vista bad. It has many more features that XP doesn't. I've heard from many people when you go from XP to Vista you notice ALOT of things that don't make sense, but after using it for awhile they usually don't want to go back.

Personally I have never used Vista, and don't plan to until a game I'm anticipating requires it. Most DX10 games that come out still support DX9 so its not a problem (Although I've heard DX10 can run 3x faster with the same level hardware as DX9, I think its bull but I don't know for sure).

Some pro's and con's that I know about getting vista from friends/clan members:

Pros:
- Everything looks better
- There are much less redrawing errors as the interface uses 3d objects (If a window locks up it wont turn white when you put a window over it, it doesn't leave selection trails on your desktop randomly making you press refresh etc)
- It's almost mandatory if you plan to not upgrade for three years

Cons:
- Older programs, games, hardware etc may not work with it, some drivers for older hardware aren't being updated for example
- Some aspects don't seem to make sense (Example, as an admin you must set a file with administration rights in Program Files - Even if you're an admin, in order to edit the file)
- Many programs etc will have lower support for Vista than XP
- People who use XP who have never used Vista will laugh in your face because it was released prematurely, although its been improved greatly

As for the "accept/deny" thing, if you turn it off that doesnt mean OMGF ITS DOWNLODING SPYWAREZ!~

It just means you should consider a different antivirus program... Take AVG for example. If you need spyware taken care of they have Anti-Spyware too. Both for free

turok255

Reaction score
lol... Okay so macs do suck.... (whatched the vid XD)

But Rad don't forget this sound error im having with Vista now... (theres a thread about it here somwhere) I think its D2... maybe not...? it poped-up just typing this....

Ninja_sheep

Heavy is credit to team!
Reaction score
Well,
On TheHive they have a tutorial on how to play Wc3 on vista. I dont know if it really works xD

holy_spirit

Reaction score
Pros:
- Everything looks better
- There are much less redrawing errors as the interface uses 3d objects (If a window locks up it wont turn white when you put a window over it, it doesn't leave selection trails on your desktop randomly making you press refresh etc)
- It's almost mandatory if you plan to not upgrade for three years

Cons:
- Older programs, games, hardware etc may not work with it, some drivers for older hardware aren't being updated for example
VISTA has pretty good advantages :rolleyes: , but for this
Older programs, games, hardware etc may not work with it, some drivers for older hardware aren't being updated for example

we have to stop and think deeply :confused:
Its a relative matter

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.