New unit creation question?

GardenofWar

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Hi, first off I would like to say that I have read all tutorials on this subject but they appear to be outdated and were unable to assist me. I just want to know how to copy units, make new units, etc. I am new to the editor and just want to start tinkering with it. I understand you need to copy the actors too. I am just not sure how to execute this all. Any help is greatly appreciated. Please give clear explanations, I am easily confused as I am a strong right brain thinker and this stuff can get over my head pretty quick, but I still want to learn it, thanks.

GardenofWar

Reaction score
Seems I run into trouble with the Actor name being locked so that I cannot designate a new actor to my new unit??? I've tried restarting a few times. The tutorial says this is were you do it. But my fields are grayed out and I cannot proceed beyond this.

Arkless

Reaction score
Seems I run into trouble with the Actor name being locked so that I cannot designate a new actor to my new unit??? I've tried restarting a few times. The tutorial says this is were you do it. But my fields are grayed out and I cannot proceed beyond this.

what you don't have to read:
The "gray out" comes from duplication only parts. It means that the desired unit/ability/effect (whatever it is) is being used in actor events (maybe it has to be a token for the gray out, but I am not sure). Changing the string identifier would make the actor events useless (as you wont change their target).

what you have to read:
Comes from duplication, always create a new object and copy the values from the one you desired to dublicate (automatically does that when set in the creation window).

edit:
Reading what the guy below me said I think you might have missunderstood something, the names of every object are just eyecandy. What counts are the links between everything.

eXirrah

Reaction score
Hmm I don't think the tutorials are outdated.

If you want to link an Actor to an Unit then you have to go to Actors in
the data editor and on the right there should be a list control with fields
named 'Token' and 'Unit name'.

The actor must be of type Unit if you want it to be linked to an unit. If
the actor is not unit type then there will be no "Unit Name" field under
Token (there might be no Token field as well).

Double click the "Unit Name" field and select the unit this actor you want
to be linked to.

In data editor the default field colors go as this:

gray - default value (not disabled/locked)
blue - blizzard value (changes to default objects, made by blizzard)
green - user value (changes to blizzard or default objects, made by the user)

... so if the field is grayed it means that it was never changed and not locked.

GardenofWar

Reaction score
Thanks!

I really appreciate your time, both of you, thank you. I had several questions and had typed up this response with a couple o screen shots immediately after you had posted but then couldn't sign in and ultimately had to reset my password. :( I was getting black blobs for my actors, and then some black blobs with marine models inside them; some pretty crazy stuff, but then all of a sudden I just tried it again from scratch and it seems to be working fine now. I remember this happening before, too, and after like the 6th attempt I was able to get it, but because I understood how, I didn't save the map believing I could recreate the effect. It seems now I am able but for awhile was unable. I don't understand why this is. I haven't changed anything. But regardless I got it working now. I did have a question though about when you mention this "creation window"? Are you referring to the window when you duplicate an object? Also I had a very unstable WCIII editor and had to ditch a few projects that I had spent years in because of a town hall click crash bug that appeared in several of my maps...even maps with zero script written or any data conflicts that might have caused this. I hope this editor is much more reliable.

Arkless

Reaction score
I did have a question though about when you mention this "creation window"? Are you referring to the window when you duplicate an object?

Nope, the one when you create a new object (I lack any better word for it) or modify the basic properties (type name etc.).

Joccaren

Reaction score
The window that pops up when you go 'Data -> Add Object'

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.