Nice DotA Abilities

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

westwood3200

I know some users don't want DotA, but I want the game(map) to be a guide for making interesting maps.

Here are some good Abilites I want to know (how to create them).

Rupture (Bloodseeker)
Overgrowth (Treant Protector)
Doppelwalk (Phantom Lancer)
Omni-Slash (Juggernaut)
Thunder God's Wrath (Lord of Olympia)
Diabolic Edict (Tormented Soul)
Pulse Nova (Tormented Soul)
Epicenter (SandKing)
Burrowstrike (SandKing)
Sand Storm (SandKing)
Chronosphere (Faceless Void)
TimeWalk (Faceless Void)
Impetus (Enchantress)
Remote Mines (Goblin Techies)
Static Field (Lord of Olympia)
Illuminate (Keeper of Light)
Mana Leak (Keeper of Light)
Eclipse (Moon Rider)
Moon Glaive (Moon Rider)
Time Lapse (Nerubian Weaver)
Meat Hook (Butcher)
Heat Seeking Missiles (Tinker)
Toss (Stone Giant)
Juxtapose (Phantom Lancer)
Frostbite (Crystal Maiden)

Hope you give some help on how to create even some of it...
Thanks....
:)

Grundy

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
people will look at this and automatically assume you want to copy these exact abilities and give you shit about it

but... heres how some of them work

Pulse Nova = Immolation. no triggers at all, just straight up immolation with some values changed. more damage per second and more mana drain per second.

Overgrowth = trigger:
e: unit starts the effect of an ability
c: ability being cast equal to overgrowth
a: pick every unit in (units within x range matching condition (owner of matching unit is an enemy of owner of casting unit) ) and do actions:
create 1 dummy unit at position of picked unit
order last created unit to night elf - entangling roots picked unit

Thunder God's Wrath = trigger:
e: unit starts the effect of an ability
c: ability being cast equal to thunder god's wrath
a: pick every unit in (units in playable map matching condition ( matching unit is a hero AND owner of matching unit is an enemy of owner of casting unit ) ) and do actions:
create special effect (some kinda lightning bolt) at position of picked unit
destroy last created special effect
order casting unit to damage picked unit for x damage

Jazradel

Helping people do more by doing less.
Reaction score
Rupture (Bloodseeker) - Triggered
Overgrowth (Treant Protector) - Answered
Doppelwalk (Phantom Lancer) - Triggered
Omni-Slash (Juggernaut) - Search the Forums
Thunder God's Wrath (Lord of Olympia) - Answered
Diabolic Edict (Tormented Soul) - Trigger
Pulse Nova (Tormented Soul) - Answered
Epicenter (SandKing) - Trigger
Burrowstrike (SandKing) - Trigger
Sand Storm (SandKing) - Trigger
Chronosphere (Faceless Void) - Trigger
TimeWalk (Faceless Void) - Trigger
Impetus (Enchantress) - Trigger
Remote Mines (Goblin Techies) - Not sure
Static Field (Lord of Olympia) - Trigger
Illuminate (Keeper of Light) - Trigger
Mana Leak (Keeper of Light) - Trigger
Eclipse (Moon Rider) - Trigger
Moon Glaive (Moon Rider) - Huntress Bouncing Attack
Time Lapse (Nerubian Weaver) - Trigger
Meat Hook (Butcher) - Trigger, look on www.wc3sear.ch
Heat Seeking Missiles (Tinker) - Trigger
Toss (Stone Giant) - Cluster Rockets
Juxtapose (Phantom Lancer) - Trigger
Frostbite (Crystal Maiden) - Entangling Roots.

S

spazard1

eclipse

i think luna's eclipse is just done by setting the cost of lucent beam to 0, setting its cooldown to zero, and then order luna to cast it x number of times. then the spell is set back to normal. its done this way so that the damage can be based on her current level of lucent beam without needing a bunch of if-then-else statements.

emjlr3

Change can be a good thing
Reaction score
I could make them all very easily,, and actually have made some/explained how to make on here for people, if you really wanted, but they probably wouldnt go to good use....so ill just leave it at that

westwood3200 said:
I know some users don't want DotA, but I want the game(map) to be a guide for making interesting maps.

Here are some good Abilites I want to know (how to create them).

Rupture (Bloodseeker)
Overgrowth (Treant Protector)
Doppelwalk (Phantom Lancer)
Omni-Slash (Juggernaut)
Thunder God's Wrath (Lord of Olympia)
Diabolic Edict (Tormented Soul)
Pulse Nova (Tormented Soul)
Epicenter (SandKing)
Burrowstrike (SandKing)
Sand Storm (SandKing)
Chronosphere (Faceless Void)
TimeWalk (Faceless Void)
Impetus (Enchantress)
Remote Mines (Goblin Techies)
Static Field (Lord of Olympia)
Illuminate (Keeper of Light)
Mana Leak (Keeper of Light)
Eclipse (Moon Rider)
Moon Glaive (Moon Rider)
Time Lapse (Nerubian Weaver)
Meat Hook (Butcher)
Heat Seeking Missiles (Tinker)
Toss (Stone Giant)
Juxtapose (Phantom Lancer)
Frostbite (Crystal Maiden)

Hope you give some help on how to create even some of it...
Thanks....
:)

ofcourse I am nice so here is what i can think of of f the top of my head

dopplewalk-dummy unit, give wand of illusion, have it cast on hero
, base ability off ww with back stab damage
omni slash- http://www.wc3sear.ch/index.php?p=Spells&ID=1303&sid=17af78997106c531075576557845122b , ive already made and hosted
t gods wrath-create flying dummy units at all enemy heroes, have them cast chain lightning on em
diabolic edict-trigger taht runs every x seconds which damages random enemy unit in area and creates special effect on it
pulse nova-immo., buff creates attachment you see
epicenter- http://www.wc3sear.ch/index.php?p=Spells&ID=816&sid=17af78997106c531075576557845122b , basically stole the whole sand king hero from that
burrowstrike- http://www.wc3sear.ch/index.php?p=Spells&ID=1275&sid=17af78997106c531075576557845122b , ive made and hosted
impetus-check my hero ability map in http://www.thehelper.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25111&page=5 , it is on the dark elf
remote mines- http://www.wc3sear.ch/index.php?p=Spells&ID=448&sid=17af78997106c531075576557845122b , basically stole the entire techies hero from there
static field-base ability of x second ability such as roar, trigger sets untis in area to lower life and creates special effects on them
illuminate- http://www.wc3sear.ch/index.php?p=Spells&ID=1301&sid=17af78997106c531075576557845122b , ive made there and hosted
eclipse-every x seconds pick random unit in area and have dummy unit cast a ponit targetable nuke on em, and make sure same unit isnt picked more then 3 times or whatever
moon glaive-after every lvld learned, increase tech of moon glaive for unit
time lapse-periodic event that saves position, hp and mana of unit, then when cast set the unit to those saved items
meat hook, check above, they stole that from wcsear.ch too
heat seaknig missiles-base off fan of knives, can only target heroes
toss- http://www.thehelper.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25111&page=5 , check there ive made on dwarf
juxtapose-same as dopplewalk, sept % chance to do based off attacking
frostbite-base of entagling roots, change effects from buff
chronosphere-create unit at target with ability that sets movement speed to 0%, remove after alloted time
timewalk-not to sure and i dont feel like thinking about it much
manaleak-gives unit buff, if they cast a spell with that buff sets mana to current-% lost
rupture- not real sure, prolly just periodic trigger every x seconds that sets position and and compares to last pos, then damages unit based on movement
sand storm- made something like it, http://www.wc3sear.ch/index.php?p=Spells&ID=1275&sid=17af78997106c531075576557845122b , check there
overgrowth-create dumyms that cast entengle roots on nearby enemies

mixmax2

RedArmyGangsta
Reaction score
since this topic his been brought id really love to know how rupture is truly done.

S

spazard1

to emjlr3

i thank you for answering my question in such detail. i didn't know that icefrog didn't make the map originally, nor did i know any of the other facts you mentioned. however, it is still my favorite custom map to play, and i don't see that changing anytime soon. i don't think that anyone should stop playing something that is fun just because of who is creating it (or how they did or did not create it). Granted, if the entire thing had been stolen, (from what i gathered from your post, it wasn't stolen, rather IceFrog took over development) my thoughts would be much different on the matter. but someone at one point in time did make DotA, it was fun then, and it is fun now.

thanks for answering the question about how to program the abilities. i think that most people asking about those just want to get an idea of how they are done so they can start making their own.

the way i see it is this conversation is now finished (unless you want to make one final reply) since it is kind of off topic. but i did enjoy our little discussion, and am glad we could have it remain postive. thanks :)

S

Slaughter

btw no one ever thanked me for telling them how to do every neat ability in DotA
...except time walk...which is the coolest one... I think it goes like this:

E a unit finishes casting a spell
C spell being cast = time walk
A replace caster with flying unit that has all 00-00-00 RGB values and same model as the hero
set point_destination = target point of ability being cast
pause caster
turn on (periodic movement trigger)
wait x seconds
turn of (periodic movement trigger)
replace flying unit with caster
thunder clap stuff, though I don't know how that part works
unpause caster

perdiodic movement trigger goes like
E periodic event every .02 seconds of game time
A move faceless void to (some arithmetic crap, not too hard if you sit down and do it, but so that he gets to the target by the time the wait action finishes in the first trigger)

Grundy

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
what exactly does static field do? i thought it was just a weak version of Death and Decay.

B

Black_Waltz

Someone needs to actually answer his question instead of starting yet ANOTHER DotA discussion. This is thehelper.net, not theflamer.net. Personally, I think scattershot may be based off of Cluster Rockets, and a flying dummy unit is created really high in the air so it looks like the rocks are falling from the sky.

Grundy

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Black_Waltz said:
Personally, I think scattershot may be based off of Cluster Rockets, and a flying dummy unit is created really high in the air so it looks like the rocks are falling from the sky.
nice theory, but no.
cluster rockets with 20+ projectiles looks really bad, nothing like scattershot
cluster rockets deals a set amount of damage, scattershot is random 14-40 damage each pellet
with cluster rockets every unit under the area takes the same amount of damage, no matter where each rocket actually hits. with scattershot units take more or less damage depending on how close they are to the pellet when it hits the ground.

scattershot looks like something i have seen in one of Vexorian's spell templates.

Siefer

Reaction score
Slaughter said:
...except time walk...which is the coolest one... I think it goes like this:

E a unit finishes casting a spell
C spell being cast = time walk
A replace caster with flying unit that has all 00-00-00 RGB values and same model as the hero
set point_destination = target point of ability being cast
pause caster
turn on (periodic movement trigger)
wait x seconds
turn of (periodic movement trigger)
replace flying unit with caster
thunder clap stuff, though I don't know how that part works
unpause caster

perdiodic movement trigger goes like
E periodic event every .02 seconds of game time
A move faceless void to (some arithmetic crap, not too hard if you sit down and do it, but so that he gets to the target by the time the wait action finishes in the first trigger)

I haven't played Dota in awhile.
What is Time Walk suposed to do? Supposed to look like?

Rad

Reaction score
(some arithmetic crap, not too hard if you sit down and do it, but so that he gets to the target by the time the wait action finishes in the first trigger)

I believe its Point with Polar offset, "Position of <Caster> offset by 10 towars <Angle between <Caster> and <target>>" I mean thats so basic...

Grundy

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
it probably doesn't move the faceless void every 0.02 seconds. they probably use the slide unit function

G

Gnolllord

Can anyone tell me how to make any or all of the following plz.
1.) Backstab
2.) Scatter Shot
3.) Rupture

S

Slaughter

What is the slide function?

Rad: absolutely right, that is the arithmetic crap I was talking about. Only it's not crap. Why isn't there a real function : distance between 'unit' and 'unit'. Would be useful, no? (Oh ISHT! There is one! Wow. Serves me right...last night I showed my roommate, who also maps on occasion, the "For each integer from a to b, do multiple actions" action, and was so amazed he didn't know about it.)

Backstab
Code:
E unit is attacked
C attacking unit unit-type = stealth assassin
   real comparison: abs(facing angle of unit being attacked - math offset between points: position of attacking unit and position of unit being attacked) < 90
A set attacked unit hp to (attacked unit hp - some function of attacking unit agility)
   create floating text...etc

Scattershot is on wc3sear.ch, along with illuminate, in a 'space marine' unit...I'll try and link. Aha, it's here. The Ion Cannon is Illuminate, the Scattershot is...such blatant thievery...

mixmax2

RedArmyGangsta
Reaction score
People are mostly asking about rupture, why dont u guys find out how to do THAT ability instead of arguing about less popular ones :D

emjlr3

Change can be a good thing
Reaction score
Slaughter said:
What is the slide function?

Rad: absolutely right, that is the arithmetic crap I was talking about. Only it's not crap. Why isn't there a real function : distance between 'unit' and 'unit'. Would be useful, no? (Oh ISHT! There is one! Wow. Serves me right...last night I showed my roommate, who also maps on occasion, the "For each integer from a to b, do multiple actions" action, and was so amazed he didn't know about it.)

Backstab
Code:
E unit is attacked
C attacking unit unit-type = stealth assassin
   real comparison: abs(facing angle of unit being attacked - math offset between points: position of attacking unit and position of unit being attacked) < 90
A set attacked unit hp to (attacked unit hp - some function of attacking unit agility)
   create floating text...etc

Scattershot is on wc3sear.ch, along with illuminate, in a 'space marine' unit...I'll try and link. Aha, it's here. The Ion Cannon is Illuminate, the Scattershot is...such blatant thievery...

yea those are mine, its thievery if you copy a spell, or use an idea w/o giving credit, which I did for scatter shot ( and explained y I made in the first place, if you have maybe just read), the other I had already made a while back before I had even heard of illuminate in dota, or even dota for that matter

dont talk about people when you have no idea what you are talking about

rupture is pretty neat, but i explain how they did it, I think, since its unit targetable, and does damage, then gives the unit a buff, start a trigger that runs every .05 seconds, set the pos of unit and compare it to the one set before, then have caster damage unit that amount, and if the unit had moved, create special effect on them, not to tough

backstab is also on wc3sear.ch, search for it, basically it just compares where the target unit is facing, and it is is in the same direction of the attacking unit, then it does the extra damage and creates special effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.