WIP Nightmare Village

Weegee

Go Weegee!
Reaction score
Nightmare Village
by Dragon_Lance

"They warned us not to go in, but we didn't listen to them. Now we are trapped with a crazed murder in the small town of Nightmare. The village was destroyed in a war and is now the home of the Nightmare Killer. Now of days, it is the best place for people to have some scary fun. Me and my friends wanted to go and have some fun on Halloween night at midnight when no one dared to enter Nightmare. We were stupid enough to go in, even when countless people of our home town warned us not to go. Once we got in we knew we should have listened to them. There was a man by the entrance greeting us. He told us 'Welcome to our village' and he disappeared into thin air... Soon after that, we heard the gate lock. We were trapped inside Nightmare. With no other option, we fallowed the path through the burnt-down village into the woods. We decided that we should split up and look for anyone else trapped in here. A few hours have passed and now only I am left. And as I am writing you this warning I can hear the Nightmare murderer coming for my life. If you are reading this, get out before it's too late..." The rest of the page is stained by blood leaving it illegible...

Details:

Map Genre: Survival/Horror
Map Dimensions: Unknown right now
Map Tileset: Darlan Ruins
Map # Of Players: 12 Survivours. Also, one of the survivours is the killer as well
Map Play Time: 10 minutes (minimum) to 30+ minutes

Progress:

Terrain: 100%
Triggers: 20%
Spells: 0%
Units: 0%

Overall: l l l l l l l l l l

Reason:

Have you ever noticed the lack of scary maps up on B.net? I have really only seen 2 maps that have been hosted that are actually any good. The gameplay was average and fallowed a dull pattern, Survive a period of time and guess who the killer is. The only thing that made them scary was the sound of the little girl singing in the background :p. So what is the difference of my map from theirs? My map adds a new aspect of gameplay to this genre, strategy. This is how strategy is implemented into this map: The killer has 11 people he must kill in a period of time. In the origional maps, The killer could find any helpless surviour and kill him. In my map, There are 4 types of characters that the surviours can choose. They can either choose the man who can survie 2 hits from the killer, (as opposed to the origonal one-shot kill to anyone the killer hits in the other maps) the women who can wind walk, the little boy who has a chance to evade an attack, or the little girl who can run x2 the average speed. The killer also has choices of who he wants to be. It could be the strong killer who can one-shot anything, the fast killer who can run as fast as the little girl and has the slow ability, or the flying killer who can fly over objects and has a larger range of sight. However the killers also have their balances. The strong killer has no spells to stop or slow the survivours, the fast killer's mana regenerates very slowly, and the flying killer is slow. Unlike other horror survival maps, this one will allow the killer to increase his period of time to kill the survivours every time he kills a surviour. Each time he kills one he gets a minute of time added to his timer. The killer is invisble and normally you dont know who is controling it. Once you find out you should stay clear of that person. A cool feature will be the option for the host to be able to choose if he wants the survivours to be able to communicate. This will stop anyone that knows who the killer is from saying so. Once the game is done there will be 30 seconds after for everyone to talk about the game and if there will be any remakes. Hopefully, this game will be fun for evryone!

Updates

6/24/09: Updated thread with pics of terrain (far from done. Contains the small graveyard and the burnt-down village. It also contains the map since the screenies do not contain the whole town. I am also not done with the doodads. I'll add more as the updates continue.)

6/27/09: The terrain is almost done. For the flower field, spikes and nets will pop up either stunning the survivour or ensanring the survivour. I can probably add some scary picture that pops up when this happens or something to scare the player. I added a red tint to the players camera and a swaying motion to add a srt of suspense. However, I am still waiting on Jimpy for the music :p

6/28/09: Terrain fully finished with an enterable church. More places may be enterable as game progresses (versions)

7/3/09: 20% of the triggers are done. Thats 1/5 :p. I'm getting there

7/10/09: Still doing the triggers. Had to remove the red tint because of problems concerning tooltips. Added a chainswa death and screams (sound effects). Plays when someone dies :p. If anyone want to suggest any ideas that would make a game scary feel free to post them.

FAQ's

Q: Horror Survival? Whats that?
A: A scary survival game maybe :rolleyes:

Q: Are there any cheats?
A: No! What are you crazy?

Q: When is it released?
A: Depends on how long it takes me to do everything. My estimate is 3-4 weeks from the time I have posted this

Q: Will this be a constantly updated map?
A: Depends if its popular and if I do a good job on it

Q: Do you need any help?
A: Beta testers and sounds/music/pictures etc... are always welcome

Q: I have an idea for your map, where do I put it?
A: PM me it or post it here

Feedback, Suggestions, and Comments are appreciated!!!

Screenies and Map

Attachments

• Nightmare 1.jpg
    Nightmare 1.jpg
    603.1 KB · Views: 313
  • Nightmare 2.jpg
    Nightmare 2.jpg
    603.1 KB · Views: 306
  • Nightmare 3.jpg
    Nightmare 3.jpg
    614.3 KB · Views: 271
  • Nightmare 4.jpg
    Nightmare 4.jpg
    606.1 KB · Views: 290
  • Nightmare Village.w3x
    127.3 KB · Views: 215

Zack1996

Working on a Map
Reaction score
This sounds special! Really different from the murderer games I've played!
Looking forward to this! Good luck~!

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
The abilities for the survivors seem eh. Twice the health? If the killer can hit you once, he can hit you twice, :O Wind Walk - that's so ownage. Evasion? I hope the chance is at least 50%, which is the same as like twice health. But then again, it could mean surviving through like five hits. X2 speed is also ownage, if you can do okay with your normal speed, then double, the killer can never catch you. And I think the little boy can run faster than the girl, heh. Maybe give her loud screech where it boosts her speed by like 50% for 4 seconds and dazes the killer for 4 seconds, :D

About communications, I think there should be. Talking can be taunting to the killer. Or, to make it more fair and realistic, you can't type in wc3 norm, but you can go like !<insert text> and then the text will appear next to your character, so only people around you can hear you. And now I have another cool idea to make it even more interesting.
.<text> makes you say it in white, so people around you can hear you. But scratch the previous idea, talking would go like if you're in a 750 area of the person talking, it will come up as game text like Alberto101: I like chocolate cakes!
!<text> makes you yell it in red, and then it goes to an area of 1500 for people to see it in game text. However, when you yell, the killer might know your location from it, so there is a 50% chance to ping your spot for 1 quick second.

Good luck! :thup:

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

WastedSavior

A day without sunshine is like, well, night.
Reaction score
Im interested to see how the terrain will look, i imagine a game like this the terrain will play a huge roll.

Weegee

Go Weegee!
Reaction score
The abilities for the survivors seem eh. Twice the health? If the killer can hit you once, he can hit you twice, :O Wind Walk - that's so ownage. Evasion? I hope the chance is at least 50%, which is the same as like twice health. But then again, it could mean surviving through like five hits. X2 speed is also ownage, if you can do okay with your normal speed, then double, the killer can never catch you. And I think the little boy can run faster than the girl, heh. Maybe give her loud screech where it boosts her speed by like 50% for 4 seconds and dazes the killer for 4 seconds, :D

About communications, I think there should be. Talking can be taunting to the killer. Or, to make it more fair and realistic, you can't type in wc3 norm, but you can go like !<insert text> and then the text will appear next to your character, so only people around you can hear you. And now I have another cool idea to make it even more interesting.
.<text> makes you say it in white, so people around you can hear you. But scratch the previous idea, talking would go like if you're in a 750 area of the person talking, it will come up as game text like Alberto101: I like chocolate cakes!
!<text> makes you yell it in red, and then it goes to an area of 1500 for people to see it in game text. However, when you yell, the killer might know your location from it, so there is a 50% chance to ping your spot for 1 quick second.

Good luck! :thup:

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Good ideas +rep :thup:

This sounds special! Really different from the murderer games I've played!
Looking forward to this! Good luck~!

Im hoping other people find it that way too!

Im interested to see how the terrain will look, i imagine a game like this the terrain will play a huge roll.

Now I'M curious... What do you think the terrain should look like?

WastedSavior

A day without sunshine is like, well, night.
Reaction score
Well, from what i gather, your going to be spending this entire game running around.

With that in mind, most of the game should be breathe taking terrain, as you will be interacting with the terrain the most.

Is it just outdoors? or will you be able to go into peoples homes? or into a public building like a library?

Weegee

Go Weegee!
Reaction score
Well seeing as how I will probably have extra space in my map, I might be able to add houses u can enter such, and if not now then in later releases. The terrain is mostly A burned down city, dead flower field, large open space with heavy fog, and maybe woods leading off to a blood-stained beach (the beach would be where the killer would start on the other side of the map.

To make the game a bit more fair for the killer, He would be given the ability to ping survivors on his mini map that would have a 60-120 CD

For the survivors I will give them an ability where they pretend to die (lay down) and they just stay like that. There will be objects they can do this skill behind. The only way they could be found is through chance or through the killers ping skill. The ping skill would ultimately cause the survivors to be forced to move or take the risk of not moving at all. However, the ping skill wont say "You have been pinged by the killer" but instead it might say "You are being watched..."

thewrongvine

Reaction score
You made a thread for terrain ideas, so I'm pretty sure you have a good idea of what to make, ;) And I responded there for more ideas, which I think will help. Eh, I'll post it here to save you the work, :D

Try putting an enterable house with many traps, and include a lot of dead-ends for the killer.

And with that, also at the dead-ends random escapes for the player, such as hitting a secret lever disguised as a book! :eek: But each place would have to have different, random ones each game so they don't repeat.

You need the classic graveyard, :)
Also a path. Maybe several connecting to each other. Just long, winding roads. Having nothing but darkness and fog around you on a seemingly endless road is scary I think.

And this: an orchard. Just rows and columns of like apple trees or anything. Lots of fog around, scarecrows. Like:

X X X X X X X X X X

X X X X X X X X X X

X X X X X X X X X X

X X X X X X X X X X

X X X X X X X X X X

X X X X X X X X X X

Where the X's are trees or plants or whatever you want in the orchard.

And a quickie, make sure you have a scary mansion in one place, a few scary houses (mansion and house definitely you can go in, maybe it teleports you to a different part of the map so it's like going inside the actual house with lots of space), and more in the thread.

As for the Ping idea, I think all Pings shouldn't reveal the exact location, like for the ! (yelling) idea, too. Pings would go randomly in a 500 distance around the target. I know 500 doesn't seem like a big difference, but there is movement, and if there was like a cliff, 500 distance away could separate from the top and bottom which is a lot of walking time. Just to make it more fair, or at least more interesting. :thup:

Is the killer supernatural? Like a spirit or ghost or haunting? Or actual being? If supernatural (which is more fun in my opinion) you could give him supernatural and magical powers, such as teleportation, the Ping idea, some kind of "Eagle Ghost Vision" and stuff. If you go with my Orchard terrain idea and have scarecrows around the patches, and also some other objects like obelisks and statues around the map, one spell could be some kind of Teleportation which brings the killer to a random object of those "TP" objects. Another skill could be like "Ghost Vision" which turns the screen for the killer into a cool, blue shade, but increases vision range, and works like heat vision, making enemies seen glow slightly with red, so that you can also see them if they are "lying dead", but then during the duration, you would be more vulnerable to attacks and stuff.

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Furby

Current occupation: News poster
Reaction score
I am in making map very similar to this! xD

I would really want to see terrain of this. Looking forward! :)

Please don't stop making this like other maps, I would love to see this map - full playable. ;)

Weegee

Go Weegee!
Reaction score
Updated with screenies and a WIP map ;)

Tell me how they are :thup: (I hope they are good)

Btw, your ideas are good. Hopefully I'll be able to get them in by the deadline. But if not, I'll add them in for later versions :)

The map is only terrain though for now :(

wraithseeker

Tired.
Reaction score
We're sorry, but you may not access the requested page. Possible causes are:

only selected computers are allowed to access this resource
the directory is not freely accessible
the document you're trying to access doesn't exist and the server can't provide alternative content
We apologize for the inconvenience.

If you're entitled to access this document and the problem persists, you may contact us in order to get your issue resolved.

???

Upload the image directly and put it in a spoiler tag, we like big pictures :D

thewrongvine

Reaction score
???

Upload the image directly and put it in a spoiler tag, we like big pictures :D

The pictures are big if you go to the links. :D

Eh, the terrain doesn't look too... scary right now. Maybe it's because it's so zoomed out and doesn't have any effects on yet, but, yeah. Way too empty (I know it's not done yet, heh) and you should get custom models for the houses. So it varies and looks more frightening. Is Nightmare Village, well what time period is it? If it's like more oldern times, then it shouldn't be so organized.
Is the WIP version playable currently?

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Weegee

Go Weegee!
Reaction score
The pictures are big if you go to the links. :D

Eh, the terrain doesn't look too... scary right now. Maybe it's because it's so zoomed out and doesn't have any effects on yet, but, yeah. Way too empty (I know it's not done yet, heh) and you should get custom models for the houses. So it varies and looks more frightening. Is Nightmare Village, well what time period is it? If it's like more oldern times, then it shouldn't be so organized.
Is the WIP version playable currently?

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Ya :/ the terrian isnt to scary. I am dissapointed in how I can't find a good scary house that has plenty of variations (If anyone finds one let me know ASAP) And yes I am going to add hocked peasents and a sorta of redish light (if it will work) so it will make it like a blood stained screen. The current version is FAR from playable seeing as how I only have 70-80% of the terrain (that 20% is going to go a long way). You see, The terrain was never meant to be scary (however If i can achive it being scary then it would enhance the gameplay :thup:). What will make the game scary will be the traps that will be randomly set around the village, flower field, and open space as well as the mansion (probablly amd going to put that in). If anyone has any ideas of the traps I should put (that are resonabley scary) and the doodas/effects I should put to make the terrain scarrier then post here or PM me ;). The houses alingnment does not matter too much seeing how I will put in different ones. However If anyone has suggestions on what to do with the houses to make them scary :)P) then post so or PM me.

Thats all for now. I will be making the flower field(s) and the open space and probably the mansion tomorrow. If you have any sugestions (I know I have said this a lot but I cant stress this enough) LET ME KNOW. A game is only scary when the players find it scary as well (even though I dont find this scary at all :p)

Renendaru

(Evol)ution is nothing without love.
Reaction score
You should put pitfalls in the flower garden. XD It's like, "Oh flowers, I must be safe he-*falls into hole*".

thewrongvine

Reaction score
You should put pitfalls in the flower garden. XD It's like, "Oh flowers, I must be safe he-*falls into hole*".

harhar. :D

Well, for scary models, you can take custom models or just normal ones like:
-http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/squidwards-house-87785/?prev=search%3Dhouse%26d%3Dlist%26r%3D20 :)
and
-http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/house-88957/?prev=search%3Dhouse%26d%3Dlist%26r%3D20
And tint them darker, add other doodads around them to make them look more shabby and scary.
Make the environment bigger. It gives players, and people in real life, that they are smaller and weaker, so that adds suspense. Big trees, big houses, etc.

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Weegee

Go Weegee!
Reaction score
the only problem with the house is that it isn't partially destroyed with holes up in the roof :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.