Nvidia is crap or is it?/Unhappy gamer

C

cash2526

Alright i have a GeForce FX 5200 PCI graphics card with DX 9 and the newest nvidia driver. The driver performs worse than it did before i upgraded the driver primarily on DX8 games like Morrowind which i want to play but every 5-15 secs it pauses for a short time. So im wondering what is the best driver and where can i get it for DX8 and prior games:confused: Im not concerned about DX9 games because my comp will not run them anyway.

Nvidia obviously "cheated" to get the benchmarks up for DX9 games like Half-Life 2 at the expense of older games and be sure that i will buy a ATI card next.

H

hunterr83

Could ya give us the specs on your computer? Could you also be more specific on what video card you're using? I looked up GeForce FX 5200 and saw several different versions of it.

C

cash2526

well actually i think that they did if u read tomshardwareguide.com check out the bench marks for half-life 2 and u can see what valve had to say about the new drivers. i might be wrong but thats what the website had to say about it.

Processor: AMD Duron 1.3 GHz, MMX, 3DNow
Memory: 256 MB 133Mhz
System Manufacturer: Micro-Star international
System Model: MS-6378
Bios: award Modular Bios v6.00PG
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1,Build 2600)
Page file: 160MB used, 466Mb availible
DirectX Version: 9.0b (4.09.0000.0902)
Graphics Card: PNY Verto NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 PCI 128MB
Sound: VIA AC'97 Audio (WAVE)

if u need any thing else let me know.

also when i first got my graphics card i had a older driver that came with the card on the cd. (versoin 4xxxx or something) and it performed better on morrowind (which i cant find anymore) and when i start up Diablo 2 i get a black screen for about 2-3 secs when i start it up then it starts fine but my fps also sucks bad on D2 though i can run SOF2 at full grapics perfectly fine i know many people that have low fps on D2 though like ur own frie2 my other friend also had this happen with his diablo after the update though he was running like driver 25.xxx not my knowledge it hasnt affected his copy of morrowind though performance on mine has droped

frie2

Maxis & Sim Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah.... D2 makes no sense. I can run Halo for PC with max graphics without any problems, yet diablo 2 lags horribly some times..

Rapmaster

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Diablo 2 was originally written to work best under 3dfx Glide (Voodoo cards.) It's Direct3D performance is mediocre. Of course, 3dfx disappeared shortly thereafter, but Blizzard didn't anticipate that :) I've seen people say that they have drastically improved performance by installing an old Voodoo 2 accelerator that they found on e-bay.

Also, you can't directly compare the frames per second in games like Diablo 2 to shooter games like Half-Life. Diablo 2 has a lot more art and sprites, instead of polygons.

I think Diablo 2 likes to have a lot of RAM to play with (512MB+)

C

cash2526

My friends pc is a dell with geforce 4 440 mx and 256 mb memory 2.0 ghz pentium 4 and before i updated his pc every thing ran fine but now he gets major choppynes like me and frie2 has a ATI 9600 pro by the way so his fps woes on D2 isnt b/c of drivers but me and my friends pause at start up is b/c of the driver

In the words of my friend morrowind "now sucks dick"

im sry if u dont allow cussin but i can see his problem and it does what he says

C

cash2526

uugghhh i wasnt comparing the fps between half life 2 and D2 because for 1 ones 3d and ones 2d there completly diff games. and forget about the whole d2 thing i just want to correct my morrowind problems. my friends pc worked great on it until i dled the newest patch and so did mine i know my pc sucks but it can still run morrowind fine with the older drivers if u can just tell me a site where i can get older versions i will be on my merry little way. the reason why morrowind now is choppy is because they the newer "50 series" patch had to get the numbers for dx9 games up caus they were gettin there ass kicked by ati as i have already stated and im sure frie2 will back me up on that.

and i accedentally hit new thred instead of reply so what ever higher power exists on this site and is always lookin over me can delete that thread

C

cash2526

also i was just readin over ur post and u said D2 likes to have alot of ram to play with and frie2 has 1GB of 2700 and he still has bad fps on D2 and his comp is really good

C

cash2526

well nevermind i found the site that has all of the archived drivers and my morrowind is now working great

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.