Sci/Tech Packaging you can EAT: Food ‘skins’ that mimic nature could slash plastic waste

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
article-0-13A1DD25000005DC-777_634x399.jpg

Sometimes a tub of ice cream or a pot of yoghurt is so tasty that we spend several minutes scraping out the inside and then, if nobody’s looking, lick the lid. Wouldn’t it be even better if we could simply eat the lot, container and all?

It would cut down on the amount of waste we produce and the enjoyment of our food would last that little bit longer. This is exactly what a team of scientists say they have managed to do.

They say the invention of edible food packaging will transform how we eat and cut down the amount of plastic we throw away.

The packaging, created by researchers in France led by Dr David Edwards, is called WikiCells. It’s designed to imitate how fruit and vegetables are ‘packaged’ in nature with a protective outer layer or skin you can eat.

Last edited by a moderator:

eellem1

Life is made of the little things, live it well
Reaction score
Great idea!! I would eat the lid and the container of my yogurt and ice cream.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Wouldnt it be a bad idea when it rains? I think it would "melt" when it comes into contact with water.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Wouldnt it be a bad idea when it rains? I think it would "melt" when it comes into contact with water.

I would not expect you to leave your food outside, unless you just happen to trip on the sidewalk and drop your grocery bags during a rainy day. And, my guess is that when your saliva touches the wrap, it will melt because of the enzymes, not because of water.

The picture at the lower right corner did mentioned that it keeps water out.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
And, my guess is that when your saliva touches the wrap, it will melt because of the enzymes, not because of water.
Just imagine 1600 hands had been all over it! And would you eat "chemical" plastic?

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
No, it wasn't
If you want to eat "creepy plastic" then go ahead than.
Everything is in some way "chemical" because everything consists of chemicals in our world.
Plastic is also a very broad term.
You can make "plastic" from potato starch, we once did it in school. Nothing dangerous there.

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
I thought the point of the wrap was to keep stuff on the outside out....

Fatmankev

Chef, Writer, and Midnight Toker
Reaction score

In the picture, it says you can wash the packaging just like you'd wash an apple - essentially, it's about the same thing as an apple skin.

And Firecat:
No, it wasn't

Whether you eat it or not, biodegradable wrappers and containers are an excellent idea. That's a point few could argue.

FireCat

Reaction score
Whether you eat it or not, biodegradable wrappers and containers are an excellent idea. That's a point few could argue.
Such yummy goodness ! Just saying
Well, It's generally not a bad idea, to cut down the amount of plastic we throw away. But what kind of price would we pay for it? And is it really safe? Well, don't forget they would use chemicals in the food anyway.

s3rius

Linux is only free if your time is worthless.
Reaction score
No, it wasn't

Have you ever eaten:
* sweets
* chewing gum
* something at McDonalds & co
* genetically enhanced food
* most cheap sauces (like BBQ/steak sauce)
* medicine?

You've eaten a lot of "creepy" stuff in your life already.
Even our drinking water is heavily processed with chemicals because it previously ran through a dozen toilets. And now you're drinking, cooking and cleaning with it.

FireCat

Reaction score
You've eaten a lot of "creepy" stuff in your life already.
But that doesn't mean, I want Moar creepy stuff. Do you? lol

Even our drinking water is heavily processed with chemicals because it previously ran through a dozen toilets. And now you're drinking, cooking and cleaning with it.
Drink water and toilets water are separated from each other.!
You only drink, cooking from recycled drink water.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
I don't think he knows where tap water comes from.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.