Spell Path of Shadows

Kenny

Back for now.
Reaction score
Rather than being auto castable, perhaps it could be easier to have it be toggleable? I mean, something like:

Tried it, and it works!! :)

It has been made in to a toggleable spell using immolation. Theres a few things you may need to know if you want to use it.

• The integer Abil_id refers to the hero skill.
  • Abil2_id refers to a hidden skill needed for the dash.
  • Abil3_id refers to a second hidden skill needed for the dash. This one is used to add the special effect to the unit.
  • This spell SHOULD have a cooldown, and when i say should i mean its basically a must, due to bugs that can occur with issuing orders and removing abilities.
  • There is a cooldown in the object editor. You can make that the same as the cooldown in the vJASS script so that people cannot abuse the spell.
  • The buffer mana part of the object editor skill can be set to the mana cost in the vJASS script to show mana cost. This DOES NOT make it require any more mana, it just looks cool.
  • Anything else you need to know, just ask me.

I personally think it turned out alright. :)

@ T.S.E:

:p Yes it is, however he doesn't like to reveal his trade secrets, and i loved the spell so i made it.

I havent put "give me credit for use" or anything like that there, because its not necessarily my idea. I just made it because i liked it and i needed a challenge.

EDIT:

Updated the actual Path of Shadows ability to allow people to choose to check for unpathable terrain. [v3].

O

orgolove

You are truly, a god. May I worship you? :D

Thank you so much... May I ask one more thing? I'm trying to incorporate this "shadow walking" into the following spell: (the mechanics of this spell are already complete)

novarush1.jpg

Nova Charge

Spell Effects

Kairi strikes across the battlefield multiple times (0.5s per strike), damaging everything in her wake and pushing everything she strikes into the center.

Level 1 - Hits enemies within a 400 unit radius. Strikes across the battlefield 4 times for 100 damage each.
Level 2 - Hits enemies within a 500 unit radius. Strikes across the battlefield 6 times for 100 damage each.
Level 3 - Hits enemies within a 600 unit radius. Strikes across the battlefield 8 times for 100 damage each.

In Depth Explanation

Duration 2/3/4 seconds
Casting Range is 100 (Kairi must be right next to the charging area)
Casting Time is 0.5s

Cooldown: 60 seconds
Mana Cost: 150/225/300

The following is an illustration of exactly how this works:
instruction.jpg

Each enemy will take damage equal to 100 times the number of times Kairi has passed through him/her. Kairi is invulnerable during that time, meaning aoe stuns/binds will not stop it. Note how the enemy hero in the lower right corner was able to escape the ult by just running out of the radius.

The mechanics of the spell are all completed in the spell inside the attached map...

But I just don't see how I can incorporate the shadow walking movement into the spell rather than have it teleport the unit from one end to another...

Your help would be appreciated :(

Attachments

• spell 4.w3x
    26.7 KB · Views: 239

Kenny

Back for now.
Reaction score
I took a look at your test map, and to be honest i didn't understand a thing, lol. I cannot read GUI at all, its way to confusing for me. However the comments made it a bit easier.

I decided to make the spell from scratch, so i hope its close to what you wanted.

On a more on-topic subject. To any mods who read this. I might be adding another spell to the map in the near future, so i was wondering if it would be okay to chage the prefix to [spellpack] and the name to something else. Not right now of course, but if its fine a heads up will be nice.

For orgolove:

Attachments

• [Spell] - Nova Charge.w3x
    100.3 KB · Views: 270
O

orgolove

kenny! has a Monster Kill!!
kenny! is GODLIKE!
kenny! just got a Double Kill!
kenny! is OWNING!
kenny! is BEYOND GODLIKE! (Holy shit!)
kenny! is OWNING!

I bow to you for your awesomeness. Is there anything I can do to repay you? :D

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Kenny

Back for now.
Reaction score
Bump!

Not rushing to get this accepted or anything, I just would like some feedback, so far most of the posts here have been about making passive skills and other abilities, not on the posted skill. So yeah feedback please!!! :D

Kenny

Back for now.
Reaction score
Bump again.

Not a fan of quoting myself, but:

Not rushing to get this accepted or anything, I just would like some feedback, so far most of the posts here have been about making passive skills and other abilities, not on the posted skill. So yeah feedback please!!! :D

Kenny

Back for now.
Reaction score
Taking this opportunity to bump... again. However this time i actually updated the spell.

Version 4:

- Spell is now independent, it no longer requires TimerUtils. Also made a few minor changes to make it work a bit better.

Dirac

Reaction score
Nice spell!

However, the slide animation has like 20 fps. Maybe reduce the periodic timer to a lower number.
Does the unit stops against cliffs? plz modify the map so there is any cliff inside to test it.

+rep for nice spell

Kenny

Back for now.
Reaction score
Thanks for the comment.

The periodic timer uses an interval of 0.04 seconds, which is 25 frames per second, anything greater than that is not noticable. However if you want a larger frame rate, just change the global real Interval to like 0.03125 or something.

And the unit does stop against cliffs, it will stop against anything that is not pathable (can not normally be walked on). Again, you can make it so it doesn't check for pathability, by setting the global boolean Check_pathability = false.

Kenny

Back for now.
Reaction score
Spell update.

• 5th March - Various spell updates and changes, including:
    • User can now specify whether or not the spell needs mana. And change the mana cost accordingly.
    • User can now specify whether or not to damage enemy units. And change the damage accordingly, as well as the area of effect.
    • User can specify a minimum distance, so that the spell will not trigger if you click within that distance.
    • Fixed cooldown issue, so that is a user attempts to put 0.00 as the cooldown, it will be set to the lowest possible cooldown without causing any problems (distance / speed).
    • Added a sim error if the hero does not have enough mana. User can choose to show it or not.
    • Minor coding updates and changes. Made things easier to read. Standardized most, if not all, function names and parameters.

Feedback is welcomed.

Kenny

Back for now.
Reaction score
Probably one of the last updates on this spell, unless someone can find something that needs to be fixed/changed.

Version 7:

• 25th March - Few more spell and documentation updates, including:
    • Spell now uses single global group for GroupEnum function.
    • More script standardization.
    • Documentation for configurables section has been removed from spell script and added into another trigger. Makes it easier to read, and takes up less space within the important trigger.
    • Slight changes to how distance is calculated. Now works a bit better when targetting units (no "bounce" effect on most occasions).
    • Changed from Vexorians old Check Pathability function to Anitarf's more up-to-date version for Check Pathability. Credits to both of them for the ideas.
    • This is now version 7. Version 6 was an unreleased version due to the updates i found shortly after finishing version 6. Updates from version 6 (which are included in version 7) include:
      • Removed DistanceXY and AngleXY functions. Now calculates distance and angle directly. I hope the King of Pandaren is happy :p.
      • Few minor scripting adjustments.
      • More comments throughout the script, to explain what happens.
      • Path of Shadows now stops if the unit somehow dies during the spells effect.

CraZyFroG

Reaction score
I haven't read through all the comments in this thread, so I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet.

but there's a bug. That means it's not even near perfect.

When you level this ability while the ability still is ''In Cooldown'', the level will be left unchanged. That means, if you have this ability in rank 1, and spend a skill point while it's In Cooldown, the skill will still stay as rank 1.

Fix this?

Kenny

Back for now.
Reaction score
ok now the spell is near perfect. +rep and credits still

Thanks for the kind words, i appreciate it.

As for the bug found by CraZyFroG. I'm pretty sure it has been fixed (all tests i've done say it has). Thanks for taking time out to actually test the spell and finding the bug, again, I appreciate it. +rep.

Update:

Version 8 is out:

- 27th March - Fixed the leveling up bug found by CrazyFroG.

Kenny

Back for now.
Reaction score
Use the actual resource, not copy, edit and make it private to be used only for this spell.

So you want me to... get the actual resource and make it so only this spell can use it? Kind of like what I've already done.

I don't see the point in getting the actual resource, as the one I use is more accurate (last time I checked) and it will make no difference either way (only that it will be a little off if I use vex's).

Anywho, Version 9 is out :):

• 11th April - Version 9 is out. Hopefully the last version of this spell. Update includes:
    • Changed the safety on the minimum cooldown to make sure no bugs will occur.
    • Found out that i wasn't pausing the second timer needed for the spell, it now pauses (can't believe no one saw this).
    • Ported the spell to use Jesus4Lyf's GTrigger Event System. Therefore you now need that. If you really don't want to import GTrigger, i have left a stand alone version for you to use. However, the one that uses GTrigger is better, so use it :p.
    • Few minor optimisations of things that were overlooked. Nothing life changing.

Most notably, I've ported to GTrigger. I find it easier to use, and it actually reduces the amount of handles created by the spell. For those of you not willing to try something new, there is a stand alone version of the spell to use.

Zaraf

Reaction score
Wow Kenny, this spell is way too cool :) I'd like to use this for my map, I hope you don't mind :)

Kenny

Back for now.
Reaction score
another update... What a surprise...

• 23rd April - Version 10 released. THIS VERSION REQUIRES GTRIGGER, there is no stand-alone version anymore. Couple more changes made after reading through the script carefully. Updates include:
    • More minor optimizations.
    • Made the dash work when targeting items and destructables as well as units, not just units.
    • Got rid of the hack-job cooldown check to avoid double-frees. Replaced it with a small O(n) search (don't worry it is only fired once during the entire spell, at the start). This also means that the spell can now have a 0.00 second cooldown if you want.
    • More standardisation of global and function names.
    • Unit is now un-paused when the dash triggers, keeping its command card. I think this looks much better.
    • Unit is re-ordered its last order before the dash, when the dash finishes. This is to fix a very rare bug that can cause the unit to begin walking back to the start position for a split second.
    • Unit is constantly issued stop order to fix issues with unpausing the unit. This also helps with distance accuracy.
    • Added options to allow "move", "smart" and "attack" orders separately. Now the user can specify which orders they want to use, which can be very handly. This is mainly due to how much easier GTrigger made the triggering of this spell.

Yeah im pretty sure this is it now. Many of these latest updates are just due to personal preference, but some are also due to minor inefficiencies and stuff found, but its all good now.

Also, this now requires GTrigger 100%. There is no stand-alone version anymore.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.