US News Pilot's gun discharges on US Airways flight

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
CHARLOTTE, N.C.-- A US Airways pilot’s gun accidentally discharged during a flight from Denver to Charlotte Saturday, according to a statement released by the airline.

The statement said the discharge happened on Flight 1536, which left Denver at approximately 6:45 a.m. and arrived in Charlotte at approximately 11:51 a.m.

Last edited:

Kelv

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
I'm sure it scared the passengers. It's unfortunate that it happened but luckily wasn't a big deal. Due to what has known to happen, I think pilots should carry guns on board. I wonder how in the world it happened. Hopefully the pilot wasn't fooling around with it.

WolSHaman

knowledgeably ignorant
Reaction score
I'm sure it scared the passengers. It's unfortunate that it happened but luckily wasn't a big deal. Due to what has known to happen, I think pilots should carry guns on board. I wonder how in the world it happened. Hopefully the pilot wasn't fooling around with it.
I'm not as sure if pilots should be allowed to carry guns onboard. For example, on 9/11 I don't think it would have helped, as I'm pretty sure there were several armed assailants, and I couldn't see the pilot and copilot alone shooting them up. Also, it could become a liability, as the pilot's room strikes me as an incredibly close quarters area, so if someone took a plane, they could wrestle the gun from the pilot, because the pilot would both have to wrestle away the gun and at the same time pilot the plane, which strikes me as somewhat hard, but I'm probably wrong as I haven't put a lot of thought into this (less then a minute) and haven't read any articles about this idea.

DuckieKing

Elitist Through and Through
Reaction score
I'm not as sure if pilots should be allowed to carry guns onboard.
They have been for a long time. They carry guns using special ammo designed to shatter on impact so as to avoid damage to the fuselage.
For example, in 9/11 I don't think it would have helped, as I'm pretty sure there were several armed assailants, and I couldn't see the pilot and copilot alone shooting them up. Also, it could become a liability, as the pilot's room strikes me as an incredibly close quarters area, so if someone took a plane, they could wrestle the gun from the pilot,
It should be "on" 9/11 (September eleventh). Otherwise, I agree.
because the pilot would both have to wrestle away the gun and at the same time pilot the plane,
The pilot is only there to land, take off, and make sure nothing goes wrong. Autopilot takes the plane to the destination nowadays.

WolSHaman

knowledgeably ignorant
Reaction score
Autopilot takes the plane to the destination nowadays.

Oh, well like I said, I haven't put much thought or research into this, so I'm still ignorant when it comes to the question of whether or not we should arm our pilots.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.