Power Surge messed up my comp

Prediter[BuB

Reaction score
A power surge turned my computer off and when i restarted it, I all looks normal but when I select my profile it loads up my backround but not my desktop items or start menu or anything. I can open things using the task manager. Whats wrong and how can I fix it.

phyrex1an

Staff Member and irregular helper
Reaction score
A power surge turned my computer off and when i restarted it, I all looks normal but when I select my profile it loads up my backround but not my desktop items or start menu or anything. I can open things using the task manager. Whats wrong and how can I fix it.
Sounds like you should start explorer.exe

Prediter[BuB

Reaction score
Where system restore located at on the drive and how do I start explorer.exe I typed it in in run but it couldnt be found.

Logical_1

Advisor
Reaction score
If it can't find explorer, then that's why the computer isn't starting normally. You need to copy the file back to your computer. Grab your Windows disc and run "sfc /scannow" from the Run command in Task Manager. This will replace any corrupted or missing files.

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
As a side note, to run explorer.exe do.
Windows Key + R key combination
Then type in explorer.exe and hit enter.

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
As a side note, to run explorer.exe do.
Windows Key + R key combination
Then type in explorer.exe and hit enter.

Very funny, that's an Explorer shortcut.

Assuming your system is still somewhat operational, bring up the task manager and use the "File" -> "New task" to open a command prompt:

Code:
cmd.exe

then, inside the command prompt (you may have to append your system partition):

Code:
chkdsk
or:
chkdsk C:

and let it run until it completes. Depending on the output, either run it again (with the /F option) or proceed with the system restore:

Code:
system restore: %SystemRoot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

If the partition is badly damaged, format and reinstall, which is much safer than carrying corrupted files around.

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
I did what you said and got this Errors found. CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode.
Looks bad. In any case, try to copy your important data off that partition before trying anything else.

You've got two options, both of which may lead to severe data loss:
  • re-run chkdsk with the /F option and cross your fingers
  • consider the filesystem damaged beyond repair and just format and reinstall

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.