Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
protectthetower.png

Current version: First Official Version - DOWNLOAD

Basic:

mapdecs.png

Foreword:

Why was I missing? Why did I left when the so called last version of Spirit Wars was in the making? Why wasn’t it released? Well, let’s just say that Tyrande and I had a lot of not working things, or Blizzard bugs. That is why we decided to retire early. Oh yes, retirement was all what I wished it would be: I had enough time for girls, and I became really good in bowling. Yes, and guess what? I even worked on my DotA skills a bit. Yeah!​

So, why are we making this map then? Well… you see, in 1.24 AceHart’s maps don’t work anymore. AceHart…. for me, that was the most successful mapper, ever. You see, I was so attached to him because when I was still a young noob, he answered to most of my more important threads. Actually, whenever he was online he answered my threads. I think I should be considered lucky. Anyway, no matter how stupid I reacted, Ace always answered to me again and again, until I got it right. Then he left TH. I refuse to let his memory live only in the few active members that are left from his days. That is why I decided to make a map in his memory.​

The Inspiration:

I scrolled around all his maps. They were all good, but they were not my style… Then I saw the name, “Defend the tower”. Now that was a name worthy of a map. I decided I will call the map "protect the tower 4". Why 4 ? Well, he had alredy made 1 and 2, and I needed #3 to be a teaser/demo of what the real map would look like. Still, this is the thread for #3 so we are going to talk about it. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I made the terrain, I told tyrande that we have a new project to work on and we havc been working on it ever since.​

Story:

The Great King of Kings ™ has enraged a lot of creeps, because he stole their wives for his harem. Now they want to kill him. You as the “Only hope of the king for having a big harem” have to stop them.​

Controls:

Q - First unit, the Warrior, owns the Rogues.
W - Second unit, the Rogue, owns the Mages.
E - Third unit, the Mage, owns the Warriors.​

Gameplay:

There are 5 towers on the map. You choose a race for 4 of them. At the moment there are 4 available races. (wonder what they might be?) The 5th tower is the most important one. If it dies, so you do. This is the tower from where you control your army.

When you choose a race, you can build units. You see, the trick is that each race has only 3 units. Every unit counters another unit (has double damage) Every unit has a skill. Passive or active.

As you might have noticed the only thing Ace's version and my and tyrande's version of the map have in common is the name.

Now, when a unit dies there is a 35% that a rune will drop. Oh yes a shiny rune. If you pick it up as you would an item an effect will occur. What effect? Well, the floating text is going to give you a hint. However, each rune has 2 effects that swap every 5 seconds or so. Enjoy.

That sounds cool, huh?, well, it is, and much more, trust me. I mean, today I tested the map, (it is not done yet but, most systems are done and it is almost playable) and it was amazing. Here is a screenshot for you:

Also, when you are good at controlling your units you gain style levels. Every upper style level you get to the more damage your units deal. (it is in % in the multiboard.). That is why you should always keep an eye on your army.

The big tower in the middle gains auras every XX kills. Other then that, it is pretty much useless.​

Status Report:

Well... second version released​

Final Word:

We don’t need any help on the mapping so far, but Tyrande and I just love getting feedback and the users telling us what they (don’t) like in the map and what should be improved.​

A big thanks to Furby, for helping with the thread layout. Thanks man..
Get the latest version from here!!!!
Version for patch 1.23 and below.

Reaction score
titlegameplay.png

titlemechanics.png

At first you might have noticed there are not many stuff that happen currently in the map other than creep spawning and random rune dropping that upon picked grant an offensive or defensive effect. Of course, this is all going to be extended to some part and more features will be added. As for now, keep in mind that it's quite an intensive game and lots of units/effects can be created in a short duration and that can create fps drops or little spikes. I suppose a low graphics feature can be added (inspired from Rabbits vs Sheep)...

titlespawning.png

Spawning starts 30 seconds after the game begins. You must be really quick in those 30 seconds and manage to upgrade your 4 towers and spawn a decent army because the first wave consists of 10 units. It will come from the top left spawning corner so you should be prepared for it. After it, the next waves spawn every 15 seconds in a counter-clockwise direction (meaning wave 2 will come from bottom left). Every 4 spawned waves, the number of enemies increase by 1 (in other words, every 1 minute the number of spawned creeps is increased by 1). The foes don't get any special things but they are affected by two features in the game (noted bellow). There is a 15% chance in a wave that 3 more units will spawn.

titletowers.png

Your 4 main towers provide upgrades to 4 different races:
towersa.png

Each race has 3 units with abilities (may or may not have), damage, armor, health and mana points, armor type and attack type. If you don't upgrade your towers, well, you are definitely going to lose.

titleracesunits.png

I stated above that there are different types of units - ones with higher hit points, ones with higher damage, others with ranged attacks, with spells, with defensive/offensive abilities and such. Keep in mind the attack table:
normal > piercing > magic > normal.
Every unit can counter the other unit depending on what they fight.

titlebuyingunits.png

One of the features in Protect the Tower is that you DO NOT have to spam units to get built so you can have a big army. Instead, once you select a unit for creating, it will get created again and again and again. For example, you train the Night Elf race and click the Archer once. After it gets trained, another archer will automatically start training. Or, let's say, if you selected a Sentinel, an Archer and a Priestess, they will get spawned in this order: Sentinel, Archer, Priestess, Sentinel, Archer, Priestess, Sentinel, etc.
Less time spent on the barracks!

titlespells.png

The waves currently have no defense against spells so use them as often as you can since they can prove useful in some fights.

titlerunes.png

The runes are one of the most important part of the game (if not the most). They will definitely help you turn the tides and push away your enemies/defend the tower. There are currently 3 runes but the interesting part is that they have 2 effects. Every 5 seconds their effect will swap and the player will be noted about that (a text will appear above the rune for some time). The rune has a offensive and a defensive effect and it is highly recommended for you to pick them up as they can help your army greatly! The current runes are:
runesy.png

Nature (Roots and Roar), Ice (Freeze Enemies and Frost Armor) and Fire (Immolation and Burn).

Roots - entangle your enemies with roots, dealing dps and disabling attack/movement for 4 seconds.
Roar - grants 7 bonus damage for 10 seconds to your units.
Freeze Enemies - freezes enemies in blocks of ice, disabling them for 3 seconds.
Frost Armor - grants armor to your units and causes melee attackers to get slowed upon hitting shielded targets.
Immolation - grants immolation for a short time.
Burn - ignites nearby enemies for 5 seconds.

Each rune has an area of effect of 800 and every unit can pick them (except the towers, of course). Every unit that dies can drop a rune. You can enable the -switch command any time you want, which makes the next dropped runes to be automatically picked when a unit gets near them. Note: If -switch command is enabled, your enemies can also acquire the runes! This is a blade with two edges because a few runes can quickly wipe your army and make your tower vulnerable to free attacks. The mode was originally designed for players that aren't that good with micro control but we don't want to make things to easy now, do we? *evil smirk*

titlecombometer.png

The combo meter is an important feature for you. With every 2 kills, your combo level increases by 1 up to 21 (or 24? forgot exactly...). Every combo level gives you amplified damage by percentage and makes each kill give you more and more bounty. Note: Enemies also get affected by the combo meter! This means they will do bonus damage to you as well.

titlebounty.png

Haven't found any uses for it yet. But we have an idea what to do with it. Of course, suggestions are always welcome!

titlemodes.png

-switch (described above with pros/cons) - runes are automatically picked when you go near them. Remember that runes will not always be made automatically pickable - there will always be one or two that will refuse that and you'd have to do it manually. But don't worry, it doesn't happen that often.

titlerematch.png

Yes, you will be asked whether you want to try again or not. It saves time, instead of hosting the game again.

titletiptricks.png

Most important - micro your army as much as you can. Pick runes as much as you can. Stay near the tower (but not TOO close) in order to add another damage source to your army.
Try to get as much disable runes as possible. Making your enemies unable to attack you is really important since your army will survive longer and has a chance to grow larger. Supporting runes are also vital because they also increase survivability. Don't skip any of the effects!
Create your units as soon as possible! Be really fast in the beginning and try to move your army according to the enemies spawned.
Cast the spells some units have! It may be useful if you have a high combo level and you can instant-shot some units.
Be careful with the -switch command. During our bug testing phase we had some really fun moments with Bloody - like, for instance, I had 2 controls of units and a single wave was able to pick roots + freeze + burn and wiped every thing I had and the next wave took down the tower. My best record was a 12 minute survival. 3 minutes and I could've won but the microing became too much for me.​

titlescreenshots.png

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
Update report:

Map is playable, there are just some small bugs to fix and some small errors. The map needs some balance. Other then that it is almost done

Reaction score
Can we stop with the 15 totally random posts? I thought it would be nice if we discussed ideas for this map or some criticism on the current idea or w/e...

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I deleted all the posts related to the name of the project. :)
(All 17 of them)

Gtam

Lerning how to write and read!! Yeah.
Reaction score
Um is there a map out yet that im just nat seeing or is it still coming. i Would love to try it tho.

hell1993

Reaction score
I tested the map in Bloodcount's house last night. It was pretty impressive, but impossible. Both of us got owned for less then 2 minutes. Some balance will do a lot of good for the map.

Reaction score
First version released and ready for single player testing. The goal is to make the tower survive for 15 minutes and you win. It's not as easy as it seems since it requires a good micro control. Use the -switch command in the beginning if you want runes to be automatically picked when you go near them (beware that enemies will also do that!). Now time to write some guide or something..

EDIT: Of course, it's for 1.24+.

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
nevermind the missing screenshot. Concentrate on playing. You can even show a replay if you want :p

Gtam

Reaction score
if i show my replay every one will laugh at it. Too many creeps spawn at the start reduce it a bit

Reaction score
Well, I got to 12 minutes and couldn't do more (haven't tried, though). I guess it would be good if we reduced it. Currently they spawn 10 at the start, any suggestions for numbers?

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
keep your army near the tower. Also use the runes. That shloud help. :)

Also upgrade the races as fast as you can.

Gtam

Reaction score
yea first time i send then far then lost in 20 sec second time i keep them close and die in 74 sec

Exide

I am amazingly focused right now!
Reaction score
I lost pretty quick.
It was all very confusing to begin with, and I didn't have much control over what happened.
About the only thing I could do was to pickup runes which wasn't very effective.
I was expecting to be able to at least build something. :thdown:

When I select any type of rune it says 'increase the movement speed of the unit'. -This should be changed to what it really does. :thdown:

I got tons of gold and lumber for which I had no use. :thdown:

The game ran very smoothly. :thup:
Why was there a Handle counter, though?

This map would be more fun to play in multiplayer.

This map should be multiplayer-compitable. (Even if it's a singleplayer map.)
As of now you can't host it on LAN (to play vs computers), but must host it on Singleplayer.
Add a force and a computer player (to control the enemies) and the problem is solved. =)

My tower died too quickly. :thdown:

Gtam

Reaction score
yes tried again and made it to 640 sec +-10 minutes. :D:p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.