Range Motion Buffer?

Azylaminaz

Vox Populi
Reaction score
I searched TheHelper for all instances of "buffer".

What exactly does the range motion buffer do?

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I think is how accurately you can see the missile art when a unit throws a projectile.

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I was referring to the effect of "motion blur" if you throw something in the air like a football, you can't really see it clearly unless its on the ground, motionless.

AEK

Reaction score
Hmm motion buffer, yeah that would make sense. So, it would basicly change the blur or something alike? Higher motion buffer = more blur?

Edit: Wait a minute, a lower buffer rate would increase the blur, wouldnt it.

Iwan_Krissov

Reaction score
My guess:
!just a guess!

When a unit trys to attack another unit, which is currently moving, it will continue the attack as long as the other unit is not anymore in the range motion buffer...
I made the following experiment...
I had Unit A, a (ranged) attacker with 400 range and 2000 range motion buffer
I had Unit B, a normal unit with speed 500 and no attack (to avoid automovement)...
Than I wrote a trigger, which causes Unit B to run in another map corner when Unit A comes in Range 500 of it, which means still outside attackrange.

So I ordered Unit A to attack Unit B, Unit B started movement in time, was still in attackrange, but got out of it right after. in this short period of the time the attack of unit a was started, done and unit b took damage.

Afterwards I set range motion buffer for Unit A to 10. Ingame I ordered Unit A to attack unit B. Unit B started moving but was still in range, when Unit A stoped and began the attack action. Unit B continued Movement and got out of attackrange. unit a cancelled attack and unit b took no damage...

So my results:

A Unit starts attacking when another unit is in attackrange, but it will stop the attack as soon as the difference between the two units becomes greater than attackrange + range motion buffer

EDIT:
>I think is how accurately you can see the missile art when a unit throws a projectile.

I think that is rather unlikely because meelee units without attack missile animations have also a range motion buffer

cowmenace

Reaction score
im pretty sure its how far the missle can travel past the attack range to count as hitting the target, so if the attack animation or attack cooldown is high, and the unit has a lower motion buffer, it is more likely a unit will be able to escape the attack than a unit with fast attack speed/fast animation/ higher motion buffer

Iwan_Krissov

Reaction score
im pretty sure its how far the missle can travel past the attack range to count as hitting the target, so if the attack animation or attack cooldown is high, and the unit has a lower motion buffer, it is more likely a unit will be able to escape the attack than a unit with fast attack speed/fast animation/ higher motion buffer

Thats somekind what I said, or at least what I meant...
But range motion buffer is working not only for ranged attacks but also for meelee.

DrinkSlurm

Eat Bachelor Chow!
Reaction score
My guess:
!just a guess!

When a unit trys to attack another unit, which is currently moving, it will continue the attack as long as the other unit is not anymore in the range motion buffer...
I made the following experiment...
I had Unit A, a (ranged) attacker with 400 range and 2000 range motion buffer
I had Unit B, a normal unit with speed 500 and no attack (to avoid automovement)...
Than I wrote a trigger, which causes Unit B to run in another map corner when Unit A comes in Range 500 of it, which means still outside attackrange.

So I ordered Unit A to attack Unit B, Unit B started movement in time, was still in attackrange, but got out of it right after. in this short period of the time the attack of unit a was started, done and unit b took damage.

Afterwards I set range motion buffer for Unit A to 10. Ingame I ordered Unit A to attack unit B. Unit B started moving but was still in range, when Unit A stoped and began the attack action. Unit B continued Movement and got out of attackrange. unit a cancelled attack and unit b took no damage...

So my results:

A Unit starts attacking when another unit is in attackrange, but it will stop the attack as soon as the difference between the two units becomes greater than attackrange + range motion buffer

EDIT:
>I think is how accurately you can see the missile art when a unit throws a projectile.

I think that is rather unlikely because meelee units without attack missile animations have also a range motion buffer

This is basically correct, but "Animation Damage Point" also plays a part in it: my explanation.

Azylaminaz

Vox Populi
Reaction score
Thanks. o_O At first I thought it was Iwan's idea, but I had no clue. ^.^ Now to set it to like... hmmm.. 10 (unit is melee with 32 range).

Is there a way to detect if the attack is canceled due to the motion buffer?

Chocobo

White-Flower
Reaction score
Thanks. o_O At first I thought it was Iwan's idea, but I had no clue. ^.^ Now to set it to like... hmmm.. 10 (unit is melee with 32 range).

Is there a way to detect if the attack is canceled due to the motion buffer?

rmbwf4.jpg

No, you can't.

Anyway, 10 range will be hard to hit since you just have to order your unit to move a little.

Azylaminaz

Vox Populi
Reaction score
I made it 16. The point is, the game is meant to not get hit. Will it display a "miss" if you are out of this range?

A lot of the time, the unit being attack will build on itself to move it a far distance, but magically, the attacker still hits him from like 200 range away...

Chocobo

White-Flower
Reaction score
I made it 16. The point is, the game is meant to not get hit. Will it display a "miss" if you are out of this range?

A lot of the time, the unit being attack will build on itself to move it a far distance, but magically, the attacker still hits him from like 200 range away...

16 range motion buffer is equal to one of these very small cells in the WE grid ; a sword is much longer than that.

Iwan_Krissov

Reaction score
It will not show "miss", it will cancel the attack... but there is still a chance for "miss" if an unit attacks another unit which is moving.this chance can be set in gameplay constants

Chocobo

White-Flower
Reaction score
It will not show "miss", it will cancel the attack... but there is still a chance for "miss" if an unit attacks another unit which is moving.this chance can be set in gameplay constants

You are wrong.
Gameplay Constants for this -> height

It will show miss if the unit moved too far (move, blink..).

Iwan_Krissov

Reaction score
you can set a change to miss in gameplay constants. this will work on moving units and units which are on a higher position...Im pretty sure there`s nothing wrong about that...

Azylaminaz

Vox Populi
Reaction score
I set it to 16 and the attacker missed every time, was quite funny. I increased to 32, still missed about every time. Increased to 64, then 96, now it is at I believe to be a stable 128.

Chocobo

White-Flower
Reaction score
you can set a change to miss in gameplay constants. this will work on moving units and units which are on a higher position...Im pretty sure there`s nothing wrong about that...

It's wrong because it's not the question that has been asked (read thread, we are talking about Range Motion Buffer, not chance on missing).

>now it is at I believe to be a stable 128.
64 not stable? It should be. If the target doesn't move, a range motion buffer of 10 is able to hit it.

Azylaminaz

Vox Populi
Reaction score
The target is always moving. >.>
And it's movement speed is 380+.

I just don't want the attacked to magically hit the target 1000 light years away..
The map involves.. teleporting.. with buildings. o_O

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.