Tutorial Ray's Tips and Tricks

rayquaza218

Reaction score
Ray's Tips And Tricks Tutorial

Hi all, well im now writing a tutorial on the tips and
tricks of WE.

This tutorial will be about maximizing WE, with little use of models, or anything
too complicated. This tutorial, called "tips and tricks" Will teach you how to,in a sense, be "cheap" :p the tricks here are absurdly simple to do, and many people might have thought of them before, us veterans sure have :p , but many people still don't know about these tricks of World editor, I call it an
art. Well, its worth the read, and is not about long triggers for once, so enjoy!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

INDEX
1)Borders

2)Abusing WE models

3)SFX tricks

4)Attachments

5)Creating Custom structures.

6)Spells, cheap ways to make them look cool

7)NOTES

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

TERRAINING "Cheats"

----------------------
1)Terraining, borders
----------------------
Bordering maps, i get so darn pissed when i see an "edge of the world border, some ass needs more map space and does away with the camera bounds, and dark boundaries instead, he puts units there. This is really stupid, common sense tells you that the world is round...Heres a way thats pretty unique, to make an edge of the map.
First, LEAVE THE DARK AREA THERE, a little bit of map
space lost, live with it...then raise the ground so that it slopes down to wards the middle of the map. On the ridges, put trees, some on the middle and higher parts of the cliff. And wala! See how much better it looks compared to an abrupt end, or even blizzard cliffs.

Thats for a forest setting, if you have a city game, ull probably have a building model, just use it to border the map.

If you have a sea, i suggest you put extra layers of dark space. at the
edges of the map.

------------------------------
2)Terraining, abuusing WE models

]Well, some people prefer to stick to WE doodads, as they save people all the trouble. But im advising you, use non-doodad models as a doodad, just make a custom doodad based of bush or something, after that, change the model file. The great thing here is that you can change the tint, the scaling value. Great huh? Well this is kinda common sense, but i will post some more, weird and new ideas to use, also, its a good idea to use floating doodads, it will create great effects sometimes.
[/COLOR]
Some examples of using doodads.

STARRY SKY, spacey environment

An example for a spacey environment, doesn't look too good because the units are too close together, what you could do actually, is to make a frost bolt, put it up in your dark sky away away from you and make it face you, woo it glows.

Lava Land, pools of lava and rocks.

Fine, so this looks really bad, so an example of something that doesn't
look so well! :p

A tip, using darkwalls is very useful, especially in cinematics, make a cube, using dark walls, raise, lower till your happy with it, and then put stuff inside, it creates a void like effect, there was actually
part of the WC3campaign (the actual one, not the website) That an Illidian
(or demon hunter) Is inside a dark void, he is actually floating in a dark box, with blizzard making the transmissions and so on. This tactic can also be used for space dogfight maps, such as star-wars maps.

Dark walls, are doodads, based off bushes, they have maximum scaling value, they are manipulated using the x,y,z thing, play around with it!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

3)SFX Tricks

SFX, don't you just hate maps with boring normal flat terrain, with non-Moving objects.
Well, i do. Use your creativity, like in the terraining section,

Abusing effects

Abusing effects in wc3, many stagnant buffs, abilities, and missiles are really effective for decorating a map, spicing it up, use your imagination, Remember, models are not the best way to make your map special.

First off, all terrains have an "ambience" maps with night elven bases always have peaceful, natural, kinda thing. But it always lacks something, the night elves are beings of MAGIC, what do we need for that? We need glowing stuff :p but suitable glowing stuff. Remember "elune" ?. Well, ive seen models of moon, and suns, but we really don't need models for it. This is what you do, first we have a ridge, preferably at the side of the map to give it a good effect. Using starfall model, based off a cinematic object, i increased the scaling value dramatically and moved the moon down with the old CTRL+Pagedown trick.

Moon (well, realised the ridge i used earlier on in the tutorial)

Think is really faint? When you place it, double click so you put two instead of one, it will stand out more.
I only put one to show as an example.

-----------

Matrix, idiots put a demonhunter on a piece of land, call him neo, and give him high attacking speed Isn’t MATRIX. Its still life for morons. Lets see, again, i didn't import anything, I used a default wc3 model for this, its actually Tranquility!!! under buffs i think, and it really gives a cool effect if u made a map regarding matrix, or a matrix cinematic, use the BLACK WALL + MATRIX EFFECT, mind blowing ownage. u also have to remember to move it down so that the green hero waist glow doesn't show.

Now there’s, matrix,
-----------

Tornados, well, I wonder why no one used this before, it so easy to change a tornado's tinting color, and it works! It really does, and it’s so affective, look at this screenshot.

The colours actually work! Yay, happy days, so, the idea is, lightning, flip it so the part with the larger hole is facing away from your hero, flip it so it "lies" down. Use it as an attack like breath of fire, add sparks, electricity everywhere. And poof!!! u made co co crunch!! Oh wait...its just a spell, my bad. stuff you can do with the water one, flip it upside down, its a water spout, the cool thing that sticks out from the water and waves around, whacking everything in sight. Nature tornado, dark tornado, fire tornado, all useful. Well, I love the water on, but its up to you to choose!

(hey wadaya know, no models! Yet...)
I’m sorry for not turning it around, if you do, it will look like a water tentacle, when it sways, it looks like a water spout, really... So, change the tint to something that resembles your water color tinting in your map, and use the rolling technique (the on based off -3.14) Making multiple smaller ones, with one huge one makes really good effects. You can also make deities out of them, you can make a fire guy, just add rolled and stretched bloodlust pieces to the flame tornado, two dungeon stalagmites floating, and a volcano as feet. Cool..

--------------
Add a sparkle to your life, ah, the mystic woods, bird ambience sound. Rabbits hopping around, rays of moonlight, hmmm, something’s missing! Well, what ever happened to the sparkling trademark of fantasy forests? Its the same idea, changing model files of doodads, We have in this forest scene, little faerie butterflies, of a few different colours, sparkles, much better .Experiment! Some sparkles change ALOT when their scaling values change, expecially emitters. Forgive me 2-P, some effects don't change when their scaling values are changed, commonly, moving effects, animated effects, if you know what i mean. So some of these can be used to really brighten up your map! smith_s9 did a wonderful job with sun-well thingies, right smith? ;)

4)ATTACHMENTS

Every hero defense, or hero arena map has a demon hunter, illidian, and a uber high chance of a blade master being in it, Its starting to get boring, but ive seen maps with Illidians, having flaming hands, now THATS special. Orb of kiljaden missile, added on anything makes it look cool,
phoenix fire works fine also, theres also that black nether missile,
play around!
Ill now teach you how to add effects to a unit's hands, a note of
advise, some units, it won't look so good, and don't be lame and attach
a blade master to a dread lord’s hands. So things just don't work.

*Read notes for further explanation.

5)CREATING CUSTOM STRUCTURES

I use the term custom structure cause the whole thing is made out of
diffferent models, stuck together, rolled around, changed height, to form one huge structure. Im not exactly very good at this, but 2-P's advance terraining tutorial tells you more.

6)Spells, cheap ways to make them look cool
--------------------------------------------

Well, not all of us are masters of triggering, able to make awesome spells with triggers and JASS, so i will now write some ways to enhance spells. Warning! these spells are so easy and cheap to do, people might start using them as excuses for "spells" in their maps, please don't, have variety, but here are some basic examples to make lame blizzard made spells, to cool looking spells.

SHOCKWAVE. Or any other air targetable nuke. Or unit nukes, like storm
Bolt.

Code:
Untitled Trigger 001
    Events
        Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    Conditions
        (Ability being cast) Equal to Shockwave
    Actions
        Set L = (Position of (Triggering unit))
        Special Effect - Create a special effect at L using Abilities\Spells\Orc\WarStomp\WarStompCaster.mdl
        Special Effect - Destroy (Last created special effect)
        Custom script:   call RemoveLocation(udg_L)
        Wait 0.60 seconds
        Unit - Move (Triggering unit) instantly to (Target point of ability being cast)
        Set L = (Position of (Triggering unit))
        Special Effect - Create a special effect at L using Abilities\Spells\Orc\WarStomp\WarStompCaster.mdl
        Special Effect - Destroy (Last created special effect)
        Custom script:   call RemoveLocation(udg_L)
SIMPLE AS HELL

See, not only does it be a normal shockwave, its now well, in a sense cooler, not as plain as your normal nuke yes? Just a 2 liner trigger, can change people's impression of your map. From "stupid common", to, "ooo this is interesting".
------------------
Look no hands!!!

I play a map, and try to target someone with a spell, too late, im dead...
A spell such as "Fire Breath, is ok in most maps, but maps with single hero, targeting can kill you. I will now teach you how to make a spell, "without hands"

Fire breath- no targeting. For this to work, you have to base it off the actual spell. So lets say, I want a fire breath that doesn't require targets. TO change the effects and blah, go to the object editor, locate the "Fire Breath” spell, and change it, the stats, but not the name. Now you have the desired statistics.
The trigger is actually something like this.

Code:
tada my masterpiece
    Events
        Unit - Pandaren Brewmaster 0000 <gen> Begins casting an ability
    Conditions
        (Ability being cast) Equal to burn!!! 
    Actions
        Set pandastandingpoint = (Position of Pandaren Brewmaster 0000 <gen>)
        Set pandalookingpoint[1] = (Integer((Facing of Pandaren Brewmaster 0000 <gen>)))
        Unit - Remove burn!!!  from Pandaren Brewmaster 0000 <gen>
        Unit - Add Breath of Fire to Pandaren Brewmaster 0000 <gen>
        Unit - Order Pandaren Brewmaster 0000 <gen> to Neutral Pandaren Brewmaster - Breath Of Fire ((Position of Pandaren Brewmaster 0000 <gen>) offset by 100.00 towards (Facing of Pandaren Brewmaster 0000 <gen>) degrees)
        Wait 0.40 seconds
        Unit - Remove Breath of Fire from Pandaren Brewmaster 0000 <gen>
        Unit - Add burn!!!  to Pandaren Brewmaster 0000 <gen>
        Environment - Create a 0.50 second wave deformation from pandastandingpoint to (pandastandingpoint offset by 400.00 towards (Facing of Pandaren Brewmaster 0000 <gen>) degrees) with radius 256.00, depth 96.00, and a 0.00 second trailing delay
        Environment - Change terrain type at pandastandingpoint to Black Citadel - Rough Dirt using variation -1 in an area of size 3 and shape Circle
        Environment - Change terrain type at pandastandingpoint to Dalaran Ruins - Rough Dirt using variation -1 in an area of size 2 and shape Circle
        Camera - Shake the camera for Player 1 (Red) with magnitude 5.00
        Wait 2.00 seconds
        Camera - Stop swaying/shaking the camera for Player 1 (Red)
        Custom script:   call RemoveLocation(udg_pandastandingpoint
        Custom script:   set udg_pandastandingpoint = null
The younger of our community might now start screaming, relax, its easier than it looks, try it yourself! I guarantee you, its so hyper easy. Since I don’t wanna spoon feed you, figure out yourself which triggers are false and not needed. :p

--------------------------
"PLAYING UNIT ANIMATIONS"
--------------------------
Argh, using JASS, how tedious is this, you need to find out the unit's weird editor name, and you need to find the number ofthe animation. TEDIOUS. Using GUI, well, its very limited. well, heres one way to do this, it works exceptionally well with cinematic, and the time it saves you... wow...

This is what you do. Again, you have to base a spell, that requires no targeting. Like warstomp. DON't CHANGE THE NAME. change all to make it a null spell, that does nothing but play unit animation, heres a screenie of what it should look like.

Realised everything is nulled, no effects, unless you want. Simple huh? Well, i used this for my cinematic, and it turned out fine.Just don't forget, the strings are seperated, don't do the one that says "string 1 +string 2" Add them seperately.

7)NOTES

How to roll a unit around?

Rolling a unit, its really simple, go to File>Preferences, there, check something that says allowing negative values. There we go! Another part of this, you will need to have to know what values move it, since its moving around, it should only be natural the values work off pi. (3.14 AKA the big 22/7) So, if u want it upside down its -3.14 on the roll value. You have to hold down shift while double clicking it, it works that way. Play with this, its really fun,

Pissed with the height resetting itself?

When ever you moved a doodad, the height will reset, I dunno about you, but it ticks me off. Go to advance, at the bottom, uncheck "reset object heights". This will stop the height resetting.

How to attach unit attachments?
Sigh, why am I even doing this, ah well, I want to try and cover as much as possible.

show you how to get it step by step
First, you base a spell of “sphere” Its actually spheres from the bloodmage, and it’s a nulled spell that doesn’t show, change the attachment points to. “left, hand”. “right,hand”so on. “weapon” Depending on your attachment point. change the model to what ever your model is, and unit type to your unit type. remember, this works well with emitters, and units that have large weapon movement, like illidian when he does his ballet 360 spin, the little faeries attached to his hand sparkles to life.

Whats "Burn!!!"???
burn is a nulled spell based off warstomp that does nothing, not even unit animations, its just to make a base for a hand free spell.

With all the awesome terraining tutorials out there, anyone can make a river, a waterfall, anything with ease, the idea here is to think out of the box, try new ideas, don't stick to the common stuff blizzard gives you, be creative.

This tutorial might be simple, but I hope it will encourage people to think, be creative, and make your map special. :)

--------------
CREDITS
--------------
-YOU! For reading this
-smith_s9 gave me the idea of using black walls
-2-P for her great advanced terraining tutorial which I made reference to.

Hope this helped!!

~Rayquaza218

neo and morpheus are still at it... sigh

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
What I didn't like:

You need to get rid of the blue and red text. Use bold, underlined or italic instead. Also those ~*~*~*~*~ are very annoying, instead of the headers larger. And you could recheck the tutorial for grammar mistakes. (Like i, it should be written with capital letters, I)
Hmmm, burn. Isnt channel already a spell which basically gives you free hands, when making spells.
Lastly, the pictures should be the same sized, look more professional (I can do that for you).

What I did like:

It provided some nice info, I wouldnt have come up with the matrix effect. I hope you add more great stuff!

(I hope I wasnt too harsh with the stuff I didnt like:))

rayquaza218

Reaction score
Oh many thanks if you make the picture the same size, tell me via PM.
really sorry about the diff pic sizes, i had to make some smaller so they could be hosted. I will get rid of the colours now.

wait, i don't get what you mean by a freehands channeling spell, what i mean is a breath of fire, where you don't have to target. please explain more clearly.

And no, your not at all harsh, ive seen harsher :) (daelin, no offence :p )

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
Channel, you can set it to a single target spell, a channel spell or ground target spell. It doesnt do nothing by default so you can manipulate it as you want.

rayquaza218

Reaction score
oof, oh yeah. ARGH, :banghead: completely forgot about that one. But you see, breath of fire does damage uniquely in a cone, other than breath of frost, i don't think anything else does that.

rayquaza218

Reaction score
Lol, thats true, my tuts are aimed at the majority of map users, and starters.

I left the blue text there on purpose! Its an ending note.

NiKaNoRoU_GR

Reaction score
rayquaza218 said:
Lol, thats true, my tuts are aimed at the majority of map users, and starters.

I left the blue text there on purpose! Its an ending note.
well, make it like this-better

rayquaza218

Reaction score
So be it! Another thing, thanks andrew for your pics :D right now im really busy studying, so ill have to update them tomorrow or later. Ill still do them ASAP.

NiKaNoRoU_GR

Reaction score
rayquaza218 said:
So be it! Another thing, thanks andrew for your pics :D right now im really busy studying, so ill have to update them tomorrow or later. Ill still do them ASAP.
Good :)

It's good to accept them.I didn't saw them, but I know Andrew's pics :)

rayquaza218

Reaction score
I accept comments, and criticism, oppenly, just don't start flaming me for no apparent reason lol. :D

NiKaNoRoU_GR

Reaction score
rayquaza218 said:
I accept comments, and criticism, oppenly, just don't start flaming me for no apparent reason lol. :D
If anyone tries to flame you just have in mind that he hasn't done such a tut.
Or going to do ;)

Oninuva

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Cool, I like the screenshots :)

+rep
9/10 (if the screenshots were more "viewable"

ragingspeedhorn

Is a Banned Asshole
Reaction score
Mehh, not to fond of this tutorial though I guess it is somewhat usefull, your other one was alot better though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.