Tutorial Ray's Tips and Tricks

rayquaza218

Reaction score
select the unit, and it should be there if you based it off bush, another thing is to set its scale to max, trust me on that one.

rayquaza218

Reaction score
Ok, when i mean select the doodad, i mean on your map, you have to place the dood first before you can even select it.

Nigerianrulz

suga suga how'd you get so fly?
Reaction score
great stuff it acutally gave me ideas for spells in my new half way through map :D btw for the tornato u should add to the water a really deep water to give it a effect of the tornato suckin the water ( turning it around) and make a speacial effect of summoning the water elements by the human mage to giv it a watery effect
+REP

edit- does this trigger (im using RoC tho at the moment) but im juz trying my bst to make it work :p it is kinda random and probably wont work...
Code:
Untitled Trigger 001
    Events
        Unit - A unit owned by Player 1 (Red) Is attacked
    Conditions
        Human Archmage - Mass Teleport Equal to (Learned Hero Skill)
        (((Triggering unit) is A ground unit) Equal to True) and (((Triggering unit) is A flying unit) Equal to True)
    Actions
        Animation - Play (Picked unit)'s stand ready animation
        Camera - Sway the camera target for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) with magnitude 5.00 and velocity 0.50
        Special Effect - Create a special effect at (Position of (Triggering unit)) using Abilities\Spells\Undead\RaiseSkeletonWarrior\RaiseSkeleton.mdl
        Unit - Move (Triggering unit) instantly to (Position of (Attacking unit))
        Wait 0.20 seconds
        Unit - Explode (Triggering unit)

rayquaza218

Reaction score
nigerianrulz said:
great stuff it acutally gave me ideas for spells in my new half way through map :D btw for the tornato u should add to the water a really deep water to give it a effect of the tornato suckin the water ( turning it around) and make a speacial effect of summoning the water elements by the human mage to giv it a watery effect
+REP

edit- does this trigger (im using RoC tho at the moment) but im juz trying my bst to make it work :p it is kinda random and probably wont work...
Code:
Untitled Trigger 001
    Events
        Unit - A unit owned by Player 1 (Red) Is attacked
    Conditions
        Human Archmage - Mass Teleport Equal to (Learned Hero Skill)
        (((Triggering unit) is A ground unit) Equal to True) and (((Triggering unit) is A flying unit) Equal to True)
    Actions
        Animation - Play (Picked unit)'s stand ready animation
        Camera - Sway the camera target for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) with magnitude 5.00 and velocity 0.50
        Special Effect - Create a special effect at (Position of (Triggering unit)) using Abilities\Spells\Undead\RaiseSkeletonWarrior\RaiseSkeleton.mdl
        Unit - Move (Triggering unit) instantly to (Position of (Attacking unit))
        Wait 0.20 seconds
        Unit - Explode (Triggering unit)

i don't think it'll work, what i suggest, is that you have a seperate trigger, that when a hero learns a skill, you turn on this one. And yes, the sucking out teh water thing, i coulda done it but i had to go camp for 5 days...

as for why it cannot go past 120, you have to change the min scaling value to 0.01, and teh max to 10.

master maste

Reaction score
I made the "black walls" thing but all it shows on the map is the outside of the walls. . . whats with that?

rayquaza218

Reaction score
you mean, only one side of the wall is black? make it like 0.10 thicker, remember, you have to make it on all sides to make it a cube, well the tops not really needed, but its advisable.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
Zakyath said:
Code:
Untitled Trigger 001
    Events
        Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability
    Conditions
        (Ability being cast) Equal to Shockwave
    Actions
        Special Effect - Create a special effect at (Position of (Triggering unit)) using Abilities\Spells\Orc\WarStomp\WarStompCaster.mdl
        Wait 0.60 seconds
        Unit - Move (Triggering unit) instantly to (Target point of ability being cast)
        Special Effect - Create a special effect at (Position of (Triggering unit)) using Abilities\Spells\Orc\WarStomp\WarStompCaster.mdl

Yes, this owns. Except... Replace Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability with Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability. And you'll have to remove the special effects. And set them as variables. And you'll have to set the positions as variables. Yeah, I know, annoying, isn't it?
exactly...
never use the begins casting an ability event. its bad, happens before you actually cast so you can simply exploit that and get the effect without actually casting an ability. use starts the effect of an ability instead.
also you need to store those memory leaks...correct trigger (L is a variable of type point)
Code:
Untitled Trigger 001
    Events
        Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    Conditions
        (Ability being cast) Equal to Shockwave
    Actions
        Set L = (Position of (Triggering unit))
        Special Effect - Create a special effect at L using Abilities\Spells\Orc\WarStomp\WarStompCaster.mdl
        Special Effect - Destroy (Last created special effect)
        Custom script:   call RemoveLocation(udg_L)
        Wait 0.60 seconds
        Unit - Move (Triggering unit) instantly to (Target point of ability being cast)
        Set L = (Position of (Triggering unit))
        Special Effect - Create a special effect at L using Abilities\Spells\Orc\WarStomp\WarStompCaster.mdl
        Special Effect - Destroy (Last created special effect)
        Custom script:   call RemoveLocation(udg_L)

also...could you use thumbnails instead of the actual pictures? it takes around 5-10 minutes to load the page with my slow connection atm...
well anyway...a nice tutorial.

rayquaza218

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments! ill fix it right away, oh yes, im so so srry i forgot about memory leaks. But about the start the effect of ability, i thought it was perfectly fine to use begins casting an ability, it starts a bit before it starts casting, and yes its useful for insta stuff. But wouldn't it be fine since i added the wait? nevertheless i shall change it

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
for your eyes the events happen almost at the same time...but there's a difference actually, as i said.

M

Mysecret

Great tutorial! I learned lots of cool stuff from it. Really great! :)

Doctor-Peppe

Reaction score
Ok, you realy should explain things beter.
Things like Black Wall and flipping units.
I know that its easy for you because uve done it 9999 times, but this is a tutorial. Now it looks more like brainstrorming.
Just how could we know that its, basically, a bush, with changed model to an elevator and streched.
And i was lucky that i knew how to flip a unit. Cause your tutorial tells nothing.
Try something as: Go to File - Preferences - Check Negative Values. Then go to Object editor. Select your unit. FInd Art - maximum pitch angle. Press shift when you open it. And change the value to -180.
Wouldnt that just be muuuuch easier?

I

ih8dota

:banghead: i cant figure out how to get fiery hands do you need triggers or something please explain

T

the genius10

Nice guide...i dont have an ability called "sphere" i have a shield model and i want to make hero wear it :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.