Resolutions

Zakyath

Reaction score

I think all narcotics should be legalized and supplied by either the state or private companies, which would most likely decrease gangs role in the business.

and that risk is somehow different than the risk a country takes when it enters a war? the only difference I see is who decides whether or not to take that course of action in cases where the government is a non-democracy

You're right, that risk isn't very different for the country who initiates a war. But those who initiate the war puts the other country/countries in a riskily position. They don't put themselves in it.

how exactly do you differentiate a medic in the army who "didn't want to participate" in the war vs a civilian who manufactures guns for the war? or cars, matches, clothes, food, radio's, etc.?

It's all about intent. The medic is a victim if he is in a war he didn't get himself into. Those civilians are doing their jobs. Clothes, cars, matches, food, radio's, etc. are widely used across the world, and are not necessarily intended for the purpose of war. Weapons however is a touchy subject, although they might be necessary when other countries have them as well.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
But those who initiate the war puts the other country/countries in a riskily position. They don't put themselves in it.

Wrong - the other country/countries have a choice - either to surrender, or to engage in war - 99% of the time they choose the latter - they put themselves in war by not surrendering.

I might as well make it clear, that I have no problem with not killing people. what I do have is a problem is:
2. assist others killing people

okay, let me rephrase. if you join the army you want people dead. just because you're not pulling the trigger, doesn't mean that you haven't got blood on your hands. if you give the order or information that will lead to someone's death, you're responsible. if you tend the wounds of a murderer in uniform, you're responsible for every life he takes from that point.

If you join the army, to go to war, you will most likely play some part in people dying. So assuming you realize this, you want people to die if you're going to war.

so you hold the medics responsible for future deaths, even if they might be saving the soldier because the medics belief is not that soldiers exist primarily to kill,
murderer in uniform
as you so eloquently put it, but rather that the soldier he saves may save lives during a natural disaster such as the oil spill or a hurricane, or simply exist as a deterrent to an armed invasion or attack?

It's all about intent. The medic is a victim if he is in a war he didn't get himself into. Those civilians are doing their jobs. Clothes, cars, matches, food, radio's, etc. are widely used across the world, and are not necessarily intended for the purpose of war. Weapons however is a touchy subject, although they might be necessary when other countries have them as well.

healthcare is also used widely across the world, so then then the problem you have lies with the army supplier that sells clothes, car/etc. to the army? is it better for a business to be selective about it's clientele and refuse to serve the army?

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
So, this comes up in the first page for highest number of responses now. Just something I thought I'd note, since the vast majority of it is you two I think.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
So, this comes up in the first page for highest number of responses now. Just something I thought I'd note, since the vast majority of it is you two I think.

you realize you have 30 posts in this thread, while as this is my 12th?

pretty sure zaky has us both beat though

Varine

Reaction score
Just no way!
It would be nice if I didn't have to spend half an hour talking someone to write me a prescription for Vicodin. I mean, it's Vicodin, not Oxycontin, what's the worst I could possibly do? Overdose and puke it all out?

Varine

Reaction score
You get addicted, Isn't that bad enough?
lol, addicted to Vicodin. Dude I abused opiates for four years, if I'm going to get addicted to it again it's not going to be from Vicodin. Can't even smoke that shit.

Zakyath

Reaction score
Wrong - the other country/countries have a choice - either to surrender, or to engage in war - 99% of the time they choose the latter - they put themselves in war by not surrendering.

They shouldn't have to make that choice. Besides, not everyone in a country gets a say in those situations.

so you hold the medics responsible for future deaths, even if they might be saving the soldier because the medics belief is not that soldiers exist primarily to kill,

as you so eloquently put it, but rather that the soldier he saves may save lives during a natural disaster such as the oil spill or a hurricane, or simply exist as a deterrent to an armed invasion or attack?

I'm not against soldiers helping during natural disasters, or existing as a deterrent to an armed invasion or attack.

healthcare is also used widely across the world, so then then the problem you have lies with the army supplier that sells clothes, car/etc. to the army? is it better for a business to be selective about it's clientele and refuse to serve the army?

Yes to the first question. No to the second, I think. At least in the US.

Zakyath

Reaction score
You get addicted, Isn't that bad enough?

actually, there's a lot of statistics that indicate that addiction is less likely with lesser restrictions. for example, see Portugal. Roughly ten years ago they had great issues with addiction, and diseases that come from addiction (HIV e.g.). They decriminalized everything. Guess what, addictions went down. Of course, there are many other variables - nothing exists in a vacuum. But similar effects can be seen the world around. Where I come from, we have hard regulations against narcotics, but more addicts here die than in other european countries with lesser restrictions.

Varine

Reaction score
So it's okay for the military to help in natural disasters and whatnot, but it's not okay to join the military because doing so automatically means I am contributing to the murder of people that don't want me in their country, even though I'm shoveling snow off roofs or getting people out of a flood?

Varine

Reaction score
So if I join the military and don't leave the country I'm not supporting war?

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
They shouldn't have to make that choice. Besides, not everyone in a country gets a say in those situations.

that's a problem with the government - it's not perfect (in this case some governments like that of the U.S. I wouldn't even consider "good"), but that doesn't have much to do with the army

I'm not against soldiers helping during natural disasters, or existing as a deterrent to an armed invasion or attack.

a deterrent is only useful if it will actually be used if/when it needs to be

Yes to the first question. No to the second, I think. At least in the US.
[/quote]
pretty sure that it's illegal to discriminate against customers.. and it's not exactly a smart move to piss off the army/military in most countries - not to mention lots of industries depend on them

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.