RPG minigame ideas

Tooblet

Reaction score
Heyhey, some of you may have noticed me and Glivee are working on a massive orpg, some may not.

either way, We are in need of some help :)

Instead of quests in our map we have "challenges"..(Cause we got really bored with the "go do that, go do this" type of questing).
What challenges are are basically minigames that are fun to play and works with a RPG feel.
It works like this: you click on an NPC, he has "accept challenge <name>"
And all the info you will need.
once you accepted the challenge, you are moved to an area where the challenge takes place.

But I'm running really dry on ideas to fun stuff you might want to beat.

it can be anything from a goofy and stupid "capture chickens" minigame, to an epic "defend this village from demons for 4 minutes" minigame.

I'll give you two examples!

ex 1: You find yourself in a dark dungeon room where there is a "pool of reflection" with 10.000 HP, the goal is to destroy that. allthough, when bashing away at it, it will spawn mirrors of you and your allies all the time who will try and stop you. The lower the HP the pool of reflection gets, the more mirrors of yourself you will have to defeat.

Ex 2: You are on a deserted island in the middle of the ocean, with 2 pirateships on the oposite sides of the island.
Your goal is to try and find a chest of gold before the time runs out, however, the two ships are constantly shooting cannonballs at a random point on the island so you'll have to watch out, if you don't, you will get killed instantly.

Dest

Reaction score
How is doing quests annoy you or bores you? You could contain a RPG with quests and minigames. Why not? :p

Anyway, my suggestions:

1. Find Center - Make a big maze. The goal is to find and go to the center - the more seconds have passed, the less rewards there is to obtain. You also have to make the rewards depend on the hero's levels. Rewards can be cash, but can be good items.

Well, I gotta to brainstorm, but give me more time and I'll have some ideas for you ;)

Tooblet

Reaction score
Well the map sort of have quests but not in the normal way.
they're kind of "hidden".

meaning you don't go and accept quests, do them, and turn them in.

There's tons of things in the map that you can do and figure out yourself that will unlock things or summon things and whatnot, but you'll have to figure out how by yourself.

The reason for not having quests is that everytime you load the map you don't need to do the same quests over and over again :p.

That's a nice idea, I wouldn't know how to make the maze random every time though,
But keep em coming,

I also should mention that the game camera is 3rd person.

Chao

Setting sail for fail in the sea of lame.
Reaction score
Good call with that quest system; I'm running the same thing.
Why not set up a gauntlet? Where you step on a switch in a thin tunnel; the end can be blocked with a firewall or something, and you can have some type of unit spawn once the switch is down. When a set number of the spawned units are killed they can stop spawning altogether, with the firewall dropping. I know I'm using that. :)

jonadrian619

-___-
Reaction score
Find the Real
- There are swarms, massive swarms of creeps coming at you, of the same type, in a medium-sized dungeon room. Now, your goal is to kill the real one. The real one is different from the other hundreds (just a hyperbole, 'cause hundreds of them will lag the game) of creeps, by name and creep level. Like, all the other creeps are named Gnoll Warden while the real one is named THEAdvocateOFN00bIsm. You can click and click each creep to find out where the real guy is, or just hack your way through. Btw the creeps can kill you, so be careful.

Elimination Games
- You are in a mini-arena of sorts, and the goal is to eliminate every creep that comes out of the cave.

- [If you want] The goal is to die. Yes, to DIE! Not necessarily defeat in the RPG, but you'll be revived shortly. The thing is, the more creeps you kill, the more points and reward you get. There is no way out of the mini-arena, and the creeps coming at you never end, so death is the only way out. Simply put, it's kind of a Survive-as-long-as-you-can type of minigame.

Lizard Eggs
- The mother lizard which is a pet of the guy you met before, keeps laying eggs all over her lair, and you must destroy every egg she lays. When she runs out of eggs, you can now fight her. But if she starts to lay eggs again, she is invulnerable, and you have to kill the eggs, then you can fight her again, alternately, until she dies. The eggs hatch into Lizard Children.

All the following quests have varying rewards and prizes that depend on the performance of the player.

Tooblet

Reaction score
I like the idéa of "surviving as long as you can".
with that I could have like: you pass the one minute mark, there is a random of 5 mediocre items as rewards.
you pass the 5 minute mark, theres a random of 5 pretty good ones.
you pass 10 minute mark, etc etc.. you can go on forever, even have impossible lengths witch noone could ever possibly survive that long! or could they?! :O :D

I also like the lizard egg thingy.

keep the ideas coming, rep to you all!

the find the real i've allready got, but with barrels and crates ure supposed to destroy when searching for an item, and from the crates and boxes it can spawn ghosts and whatnot that can kill you, and the objective is to find the item before the time runs out.

Kuberr24

Reaction score
A classical one: somebody lost her daughter in the doom pit of eternal damnation, and you have to rescue her. To get to the pit, you will have to avoid spinning blades and flame jets.
Depending on the level, you can make more blades/fires and make them go faster.

FhelZone

Have a drink of a nice cold mellowberry juice!
Reaction score
Guitar hero using letters, then the NPC will reward you a musical instrument with a musical ability to damage units.....

sjakie

Cookie Be Awesome!
Reaction score
Pit of Doom
You become capable of knocking your opponent short distances through the air, while both of you find yourselves located next to a large, deep pit. Your goal is to knock eachother into this pit with your newly gained knocking ability. First one in the pit loses.

Slimy-go-round
Both you and your opponent find yourself with 3 slimes (sludge monsters) in front of you. One of the slimes flashes, after which they start running through eachother to confuse you. After 10 seconds, they line up again and ask you to pick the slime that flashed at the start.

Your goal is to get it right 5 times. The first person who achieves this wins. Unfortunately, the slimes become faster every round and thus the game gets harder. In addition, when you pick the wrong slime, that slime splits, leaving you with an additional slime every time you pick the wrong one, making the game even harder.

Dwarf-Pong
Bioth you and your opponent are given an ogre to controll. You have an ogre at one side of the battlefield, while your opponent has one on the other side. Your goal is, just like the famous game pong, to bounce a small dwarf past your opponent with your ogres belly. Like in pong, the opponent can intercept the dwarf and bounce him back. When the darf passes an ogre, the shooter scores. Scoring 3 times makes you win.

Survival of the Fittest
Both you and your opponent are placed into a horrid arena with various bunkers and such. After 6 seconds, various strong opponents start swarming in and try to kill you. Your goal is to survive the longest, which both depends on your heroes strength as well as on how clever you pick your bunkers.

Frograce
Both you and your opponent are given a frog, whose mana constantly varies, but remains between 150 and 400. Once every 2 seconds, you can hit the "jump" button and jump a distance equal to your current mana. Your goal is to reach the finish first. This requires a better timing than your opponent.

Dodge-the-kodo
A simple minigame. Both players find their hero at the bottom of a large, dry riverbed. Then a stampede of kodos starts running in their direction. Their goal is to dodge the kodos for as long as possible. you're hit, you're trampled, you lose. Faster heroes have an advantage in this game.

BlackDeath09

Reaction score
Yes you can do a survivor one just make it like any other survivor map, be creative with the way people can die.

Aliens: Just like the regular game Who's the Alien? make it somewhat like tag and somewhat like that, the last one to not become an alien wins, or frog or whatever critter you want to make it even big foot. (soon will be 11 critters and one player remaining). you can make that the way you win or you can make it to where the people still human have to kill the critters, either way works.

Ping Pong: this requires a small map say IE 8 players 4 on each side, make one way longer then the other like a ping pong table. but its not gunna exactly be like ping pong where gunna mix dodge ball into this as well. heres how its played
Rules
1: Must hit opposing player with someone from your team.(Each player has a paddle or a bat type spell, do it when the sliding or flying player is nearby, hit the spell and aim where you want it to go based on how your facing).

2. Everytime someone gets out the player who was the ball goes back, and another person is chosen at random. Note: team who has the ball out can now get players out but has a disadvantage of being 1 player short.

3. team who goes out first meaning who has 1 player left and can no longer have a ball loses.

know its hard but ive done it in a map before and everyone loved it, had 3000 downloads on epicwar.com in first month

Capture te Flag:
you know how it works

Tooblet

Reaction score
All are really good ideas!

I liked the frog race thing thats a keeper.
And capture the flag is a classic.

But how about making the challenges a bit more revolved around your hero and levels and what equipment you've got.
Maybe some stuff that might be hard if you're really gimped, so u need to level up a few levels and maybe get a better sword and try again.

but still try to keep the sillyness and the FUN part of it! :D

EDIT: Also, try to add some teamwork in there aswell :) after all it is a teamwork-heavy rpg :p

I'm writing all of these down, so keep em comin'!

BlackDeath09

Reaction score
well then i would have to know a little bit about your rpg IE the story line or like you said what items they can achieve over time, walk me through the game as if i was playing it right here in no more than two paragraphs

Dest

Reaction score
Fire and Frost (Requires at least two or three players to play the game) - In the minigame, players begin with priests without abilities and to attack. A neutral unit is spawned and creates a flame strike or frost strike to an area randomly in the arena. If a player is caught in frost strike, it will slow but not dealing any damage. If a player is caught in flame strike, the player is burnt with fire for 5 seconds, taking 10 HP away. If both strikes are targeted at the player, it will cause to worsen the conditions, possibly giving a chance to the player to die. For rewards, it depends on the players; if you have, say, 10 players in the minigame, whilst there are 12 players, they will get more gold; lesser players receive less gold. All priests also start with 100 HP. Armor and other items equipments will not affect. If all players manage to survive throughout the time of two minutes, they are given a special reward, along with the money of (Depending on players).

Well, this is pretty much teamwork. :p

Tooblet

Reaction score
Ok Blackdeath, I guess I should've been more clear in my first post, my bad.

So its a typical massive RPG right, like Dark invasion 2 with the camera and the save/loads and epic boss fights and a whole lot of items.

So a typical day in my RPG would be like: You load the game, then you load your precious character, a level 17 Captain with a newly bought Sword of Power and a Spiked shield that you bought the last game.
You start of in the town where all of your friends discuss where and what you should do.

Someone says: "let's start of with a fun challenge before we go into that huge dungeon where all the impossible Bosses are".
Aight, so you wander away to an NPC in the near forest witch has a challenge for you to take, an old crazed troll is standing there with a huge cooking pot (don't know the word..). "A Dark Ritual, fetch me the right ingrediences in the given amount of time and I will reward you greatly".

You press the "Accept Challenge" button, and A timer starts with 15 seconds counting down, and chickens, frogs, pigs, rabbits and whatnot spawns all around you, as items. A big floating text on the troll appears that says: "I need a rabbit, quickly!" you pick up a rabbit, and pawn it into the cooking pot, and the timer resets, and another floating text appears: "I need some frog in here, fast!" and you look around, and panic, "where the fuck is it? anyone see a frog?".... after 10 ingredients you complete the challenge, And you all recieve gold and a food item witch restores HP over time.

now maybe that was a bit much text, and just a really "newbie, never played the game" challenge.
But I think you get the point :)

It can be anything from that, to the challenges mentioned above, to challenges where you will actually find use for that imba sword and shield you obtained the last game. and the rewards ofcourse differs depending on the game and maybe on how well you do at them.

BlackDeath09

Reaction score
well that minigame has nothing to do where you were at that point in the game and it sounds like your making this like Diablo in 3rd person perspective yet with that role playing feel.
If you were about to go into the dungeon for your next quest then id do this.

Dungeon Death Drag.(Drag Race) then you make it similar to the grand prix game thing, put in your rewards etc etc etc. maybe change the weapons from machine gun to arrow but you get the idea. try making your mini games similar to where you are at the point in the overall game but yet keep them fun.

Tooblet

Reaction score
yeah maybe, but the challenges doesnt have to make a storyline go forward, they can be little things on the way to the endgame to make the game fun.

My troll pota of mystery meat minigame is just at a small troll hut in the middle of some forest.

I try to have the nature and the setting of the scene for the minigames matching and making sence to where you are in the game (where you accept the challenges).

I like the drag racing idea, I have mounts in the damge, I could incorporate that but have an Infernal Juggernaut as like a timed mount that expires, where the challenge is to get from point A to point B.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.