Tutorial Scaling Size in Cinematics

Knight7770

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped aliophobia
Reaction score
Tutorial: Scaling Size in Cinematics

Basics

What is scaling size?
Scaling size is a real value, which makes the model in question appear either larger or smaller, depending on whether you increased or decreased the value.

Differences between scaling size on units and doodads

The major difference between scaling size on units and scaling size on doodads is that with doodads, you have a maximum and a minimum scaling size. This means that you can change the scaling size of each doodad you place in the map. To change the individual scaling size of a doodad, double-click it in the World Editor. You should see a box appear with the doodad’s name, and some boxes. The 3 boxes we will be looking at are the X, Y, and Z scale boxes. These are in percents, so if you want to make a doodad’s overall size twice that of its original size, you need to set the X, Y, and Z scale boxes to 200.00. You can change each box separately; play around with it until you get what you are looking for.
scaling5fa1.jpg
scaling4re5.jpg

The Actual Tutorial

How can this help me when making cinematics?
Well, there are many ways that scaling size can help you in cinematics:

Realistic Building-Size

If you haven’t noticed already, the default building sizes are about 2 or 3 times the height of a default unit. This is not how it works in real life. There are two ways to fix this:

Increase the building sizes
You can double, or even triple, the scaling size of your buildings to make them seem realistic. This can be effective, but you will need to either use many pathing blockers, or make custom pathing maps. This can be very time-consuming.

Decrease the unit sizes
You can also decrease the unit sizes. Because it is a cinematic, the viewer will not be able to tell that the units are actually very small, as long as you have the cameras set up correctly. This is the technique I use, because one does not have to play with the pathing maps of the doodads and buildings.
scaling3ms4.jpg
scalig2qi5.jpg

Creating” Special Effects

There are certain models in Warcraft 3 that have particle emitters. However, these particle emitters also have models, so they only have restricted uses. With scaling size, you can manipulate these models to create special effects. First, you will need to find a model with particle emitters. I will be using the Sun Well as an example. Next, you should set the Sun Well’s pathing map to None, so as not to interfere with things. Then, you want to set the minimum scaling size to a small number, such as .01. You can also set the maximum to a small number, but I recommend making it a bit larger than the minimum. I usually set it at 0.1. Then, place your Sun Well on the map. It should not look like the standard Sun Well, but instead, it should look like a stick of yellow light with circles emitting from the top. Then, place your new “special effect” wherever it is needed. Some other models which can be used for this are: the Waterfall, Lighting Bolt, and Shimmering Portal.

wc3scrnshot052208201259bm0.jpg

List of models which can be used as special effects:
•Waterfall
•Sun Well
•Lightning Bolt
•Shimmering Portal
•Fountain
•Wall Fountain
•Demon Storm
•Dust
•Power Generator (not very good)
•Flame Grate (not very good)
•Fire
•Fire Blue
•Eye of Sargeras
•Rising Water
•Rising Water Wide
•Trap Frost
•Trap Fire
•Smoke Smudge (not really worth it)
•Footprints Demonic
•Cityscape Houses
•Water Elemental
•Phoenix
•Phoenix Egg
•Healing Ward
•Skeletal Mage
•Disease Cloud
•Locust
•Banshee
•Shade
•Owl Scout
•Lava Spawn
•Monster Lure
•Tornado

Feel free to make suggestions for this list.

Close-Up Shots of Units

If you want a close-up shot of a unit’s face, weapon, or whatever, you can use scaling size to make it easier. Just make the scaling size of the unit to something large, such as 5.00 or 10.00. Then, place the large unit on the map. Finally, position your camera so you can see the part of the unit you want. Voila! You now have a close-up shot of your unit.
scaling1mv2.jpg
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Oninuva

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
It's not really a tutorial, it's more of a tip. All it says is telling people what the scale value of an object does.

Also instead of making a unit larger, why not zoom in more.

Tutorial
A less formal and organised session of instruction than a lecture, usually involving a greater level of contribution and interaction by a smaller ...

Tip
give insider information or advise to; "He tipped off the police about the terrorist plot"

Knight7770

Reaction score
It's not really a tutorial, it's more of a tip. All it says is telling people what the scale value of an object does.
It's a tutorial on how to use scaling size to your advantage in cinematics. Besides, all tutorials are just elongated tips :rolleyes:
Also instead of making a unit larger, why not zoom in more.
Because you would have to zoom in so far that you would be going through the unit.

Daskunk

SC2 Forum MVP - TheSkunk #386
Reaction score
Lol! A tutorial on how to change scaling size.. :rolleyes:

I find it a funny\silly tutorial, I suppose it teaches about scaling size as good as anything... :p

Knight7770

Reaction score
Lol! A tutorial on how to change scaling size.. :rolleyes:

I find it a funny\silly tutorial, I suppose it teaches about scaling size as good as anything... :p
Thanks, I think :thup:

Daskunk

Reaction score
So.... Next is how to change attack damage of a unit and what use it has in a rpg map?

I was suprised how large and offical you acually managed to make it seem though. :) :thup:

Knight7770

Reaction score
I was suprised how large and offical you acually managed to make it seem though.
I'm sure someone could find this really useful.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think this could be useful for a beginner in cinematics, but for people who have used cinematics and scaled doodads before, then this is pretty basic. GJ though.

Knight7770

Reaction score
I think this could be useful for a beginner in cinematics, but for people who have used cinematics and scaled doodads before, then this is pretty basic. GJ though.
Well, most tutorials are intended for beginners :rolleyes:

WastedSavior

A day without sunshine is like, well, night.
Reaction score
*More Screen Captures; i'd like to see a comparison of a small footman with a normal farm vrs a normal footman and a large farm.

Considering this tutorial is about aesthetics, i find it quite odd that it only contains a single image. :(

Work on it, Right now i can't imagine it'd be very helpful, but If you added to it (not just pictures, but more content and uses) then i expect it could help a few new comers. :eek:

PurgeandFire

zxcvmkgdfg
Reaction score
Zooming in is kind of better because it keeps all the correct scaling sizes of the surroundings, instead of making everything else seem small in comparison. Hard to achieve a nice look... Unless you don't see any other surroundings. :p

And also, what does this have to do with cinematics? xD

I think it is just general scaling size, but this is a pretty well explained tut.

Maybe say how to set scaling values in GUI.

Knight7770

Reaction score
And also, what does this have to do with cinematics? xD
How can this help me when making cinematics?
:p

Maybe say how to set scaling values in GUI.
You don't really need to do that in cinematics.
I think it is just general scaling size, but this is a pretty well explained tut.

Images have been added :thup:

Knight7770

Reaction score
Anyway, the reasons explained can be used in maps in general, that's what I meant.
Well, anything can be used in any map; that doesn't mean it should.

Daskunk

Reaction score
Well, nothings needed in a tutorial, that doesn't mean you should leave it out.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.