Seth Cross Writing

Rate the Sampler

• 2/5 Stars - You need a lot of work, but you're kinda on your way.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight7770

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped aliophobia
Reaction score
I know this is off-topic, but where does the 'Edgar' come from? Is there any specific person, perhaps Edgar Allan Poe?

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
I know this is off-topic, but where does the 'Edgar' come from? Is there any specific person, perhaps Edgar Allan Poe?

Good guess. You're right. Seth is one of my favorite names and I never found a character to attach it to. Cross is due to the fact that for specific reasons, I always used to wear a cross necklace from my grandmother until recently. Edgar is from Poe, my all-time favorite poet.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
Poe really was a true writer. He knew his craft and kept to it until he was found dead in a tavern. The poor man drank too much, apparently. So it goes.

Fatmankev

Chef, Writer, and Midnight Toker
Reaction score
Mmmm, Poe certainly was not found dead in a tavern. He was found wandering around in a delusional state until he was found by someone and taken to a hospital. He died 4 days later in the hospital, from some mysterious ailment of the mind, body and soul.

To Below: Indeed, it doesn't. Sorry if I sounded like an ass by typing all that, I meant no offense.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
Mmmm, Poe certainly was not found dead in a tavern. He was found wandering around in a delusional state until he was found by someone and taken to a hospital. He died 4 days later in the hospital, from some mysterious ailment of the mind, body and soul.

Oh really? I read else wise, but I guess it doesn't matter.

DM Cross

Reaction score
I believe, if I recall English in high school, that Poe was a big opium user, too o_O

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
I believe, if I recall English in high school, that Poe was a big opium user, too o_O

Sherlock Holmes used cocaine.
I'm horrible with dates, but I would guess that drug using wasn't a huge concern when the drunken poet known as Edgar Allen Poe was wandering the streets. Drugs may have been unethical, but I'm almost sure there wasn't any laws given out that prohibited it.

Fatmankev

Chef, Writer, and Midnight Toker
Reaction score
Oh man, that's exactly what it is. I kept trying to read it like the much more ominous, "DUN DUN DUN," sort of sound, you know? But yeah, you got it. Sorry for doubting.

The idea for Immortal is decent. The way you ended the passage had a nice feel to it, but if his view of reality and morals were that twisted, and if he were as mentally unstable as he sounds, it seems unlikely that he'd be able to get a job at an editing company after not going to school at all or anything. If you still made him get the job, you'd have to think of a damn good situation in which to do it.

But just so you know, it sounds very similar to the story/movie Cabin by the Lake, and maybe another one that doesn't come to mind. So if you do choose to pursue this idea, make sure you've seen that movie so you don't make your story overly similar to it. Or make sure that you don't see the movie so you don't subconsciously make your story overly similar to it... huh...

DM Cross

Reaction score
Just because you have a job in an editing company, a publishing company or anything like that doesn't mean you have a high paying IMPORTANT job.

He can be the janitor for all you and I know.

You'll find out whenever I start writing that one :) It is one of my favorites... It's actually similar to I Am Forever. The title idea I got from the title "I Am Legend", but the idea is different, trust me.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
The idea for Immortal is decent. The way you ended the passage had a nice feel to it, but if his view of reality and morals were that twisted, and if he were as mentally unstable as he sounds, it seems unlikely that he'd be able to get a job at an editing company after not going to school at all or anything. If you still made him get the job, you'd have to think of a damn good situation in which to do it.

Seth also could have written this into a different time frame, which may either be the past or some alternative future. I've read books like this before that have illogical choices of our time, but they're still a good read. I agree that it is hard to believe he did not go to school for this job, and if this is dwelt on long enough the reader could be turned off to the whole story completely, which is a shame.

Syndrome

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
this thread is awesome btw, now I won't have to search high and low for your stories XD [which are great btw, i learned a thing or two from them.]

DM Cross

Reaction score
I have a weekend coming up; On Wednesday and Thursday. What that means is I don't have work for these two days. I think I'm going to try to get some writing done, among other things, and hopefully update this with at least a few synopsis' for the Library.

Thread cleaned of off-topic spam :) I warned you guys, I will not tolerate it here.

Unfortunately, those two days I was hoping to read wound up being wasted on stupid stuff. The second day was a nice day, but it was not a writing day and in the end, was wasted on something [or rather someone] unworthy.

Thursday and Friday of this week is another "weekend" for me, so we'll see what that gives us, shall we?

Added a link in the Library for Graveyard Crew, The, a novel series idea I had awhile back but couldn't give a good title to. Now it has one :)

DM Cross

Reaction score
Role-Playing?

For awhile now, I have been wanting to do more with the Writer's Corner. Poetry contests have died and I've yet to revive them. I may soon do that, but I feel like something more is needed. Something everyone can participate in, whether they believe they're an amazing writer, or think they need work.

Something we do quite a lot on my forum for my webcomic Goth's High is role-playing. I feel role-playing is an extremely fun activity that involves very little actual writing skill. It's pretty much a game. You form a character and tell your side of the story, adapting to the other parts you interact with, as controlled by other members in the game. Simple, right?

Even if you're not an amazing author, we should all be able to make choices in a scenario and explain what we would do in that situation. That is the basic idea of role-playing a character.

So, I put it up for vote. Would you participate in role-playing, here on TH.net? Do you think we can have a community of RPers?

Tell me. Let's see what we can do.

Arcane

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I agree with "U are a noob" (is it just me or are a lot of people getting their names changed lately?).

Yes: There's more people and thus much more activity (good and bad unfortunately) than over at GH, but RPing was a big part of what made GH special (for me). With TH having an RP forum then... =[

Side Note:
... involves very little actual writing skill.
I disagree with you there, Seth. Depends on how serious you are about it.

DM Cross

Reaction score
I would defiantly do RP. But what would GH live on with TH having RP?

Sure, nothing wrong with some RPing. I just comes down to whos RPing.

Are they good or decent? Or do they just flat out suck?

In theory...

You let me worry about that and just answer the pretty questions :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.