US News Sixth-Grader's Harvey Milk Project Blocked

gameman

It's been a long, long time.
Reaction score
A Ramona, Calif., sixth-grader was forbidden to give a presentation on Harvey Milk to her class after administrators required her classmates to get signed parental permission to listen to it.

Natalie Jones said that she was inspired to learn more about Milk after watching the Oscar-winning film about his career in politics and activism, according to the American Civil Liberties Union. The day before her planned presentation at Mt. Woodson Elementary School she was called into the principal's office. It was there that Jones was told she could not talk about Milk because it violated the school district's strict policy on "family life and sex education."

Last edited by a moderator:

gameman

It's been a long, long time.
Reaction score
Jones was told she could not talk about Milk because it violated the school district's strict policy on "family life and sex education."
I believe people need to update to the times.

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
When I read this I can't help getting a picture of a medieval town in my head for some reason:nuts:

T.s.e

Wish I was old and a little sentimental
Reaction score
Whatever happened to freedom of speech? ._.

sjakie

Cookie Be Awesome!
Reaction score
Whatever happened to freedom of speech? ._.

Freedom of speech shouldn't mean you could say anything you want. You should be able to speak your mind, but there have to be limits. People would start yelling inappropriate things under the name of "freedom of speech". We wouldn't want that to happen, would we?

Anyway, this is retarded, obviously. Screw that pathetic rule, let the kid hold her presentation.:(

Effane

Save/Load Code Tutorial
Reaction score
There shouldnt be any reason that she cant give her presentation as long as it was filtered without heavy handedness. The girl should be able to keep the presentation from being too extreme for the most part.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
She would probably be talking about it from the political perspective... although six grade, I can see that being a little bit much.

Seb!

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
She would probably be talking about it from the political perspective... although six grade, I can see that being a little bit much.

Why? They are militarizing 5-year-olds in the South to whine about abortion and hold up anti-gay signs.

And why should her project be "filtered"? She has a right to give a report about someone. I also support making it illegal for anyone to vote or debate if they don't know who Harvey Milk is.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Why? They are militarizing 5-year-olds in the South to whine about abortion and hold up anti-gay signs.

And why should her project be "filtered"? She has a right to give a report about someone. I also support making it illegal for anyone to vote or debate if they don't know who Harvey Milk is.

Well yeah but they're like 10 or 11, can't be forced by the school for that without parental consent. Politics is one of those things that shouldn't be addressed at school at that age, parental thing.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.