Spell Help:Copycat

trigger_newb

Reaction score
hi forums long time no see, i recently got back into mapping again so u might see me here and there :)

On topic:
I'm trying to create this spell copycat: the most important things to know about this spell is that:
- it creates 2 locust units (copycats) that are always 175 distance away from the caster (1 to the left of it and 1 to the right of it)
- they are ALWAYS 175 distance away from the caster (1 to the left and 1 to the right)
- they are ALWAYS facing the same angle of the caster unit
- it copies every thing the caster is doing: the walking animation, casting spells, attacking
- the 2 locust units (copycats) are copies of the casting unit, with changed color tints

The codes:
Code:
Copycat
    Events
        Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    Conditions
        (Ability being cast) Equal to Copycat 
    Actions
        Set Copycat_Caster = (Triggering unit)
        Set Copycat_Point = (Position of Copycat_Caster)
        Set Copycat_Left = (Copycat_Point offset by 100.00 towards ((Facing of Copycat_Caster) + 90.00) degrees)
        Set Copycat_Right = (Copycat_Point offset by 100.00 towards ((Facing of Copycat_Caster) + 270.00) degrees)
        Unit - Create 1 Copycat for (Owner of Copycat_Caster) at Copycat_Left facing (Facing of Copycat_Caster) degrees
        Set Copycat_West = (Last created unit)
        Hero - Set Copycat_West Hero-level to (Hero level of Copycat_Caster), Show level-up graphics
        Unit - Create 1 Copycat for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at Copycat_Right facing (Facing of Copycat_Caster) degrees
        Set Copycat_East = (Last created unit)
        Hero - Set Copycat_East Hero-level to (Hero level of Copycat_Caster), Show level-up graphics
        Trigger - Turn on Copycats Move <gen>
        Trigger - Turn on Copycats Command Check <gen>
        Countdown Timer - Start Copycat_Timer as a One-shot timer that will expire in 30.00 seconds
This starts the spell, summons copycats, and turns on other triggers that help run the spell.
Code:
Copycats Move
    Events
        Time - Every 0.01 seconds of game time
    Conditions
    Actions
        Set Copycat_Point = (Position of Copycat_Caster)
        Set Copycat_Left = (Copycat_Point offset by 100.00 towards ((Facing of Copycat_Caster) + 90.00) degrees)
        Set Copycat_Right = (Copycat_Point offset by 100.00 towards ((Facing of Copycat_Caster) + 270.00) degrees)
        Unit - Move Copycat_West instantly to Copycat_Left, facing (Facing of Copycat_Caster) degrees
        Unit - Move Copycat_East instantly to Copycat_Right, facing (Facing of Copycat_Caster) degrees
        Animation - Play Copycat_East's walk animation
        Animation - Play Copycat_West's walk animation
This is what keeps the copycats continuously the same distance away from and facing the same angle as the caster. I also have a feeling this trigger doesn't allow the copycats to attack.
Code:
Copycats Attack
    Events
        Unit - A unit Is attacked
    Conditions
        (Attacking unit) Equal to Copycat_Caster
    Actions
        Unit - Order Copycat_East to Attack (Attacked unit)
        Unit - Order Copycat_West to Attack (Attacked unit)
orders copycats to attack same unit
Code:
Copycats Point
    Events
        Unit - A unit Is issued an order targeting a point
    Conditions
        (Triggering unit) Equal to Copycat_Caster
    Actions
        Set Copycat_Point_Caster = (Target point of issued order)
        Set Copycat_Point_Left = (Copycat_Point_Caster offset by 100.00 towards 90.00 degrees)
        Set Copycat_Point_Right = (Copycat_Point_Caster offset by 100.00 towards 270.00 degrees)
        Unit - Order Copycat_West to Move To Copycat_Point_Left
        Unit - Order Copycat_East to Move To Copycat_Point_Right
Basically it's supposed to queue the walking animation, i'm not quite sure why i did this lol. You have to look at this and the next code
Code:
Copycats Command Check
    Events
        Time - Every 1.00 seconds of game time
    Conditions
        (Distance between Copycat_Point and Copycat_Point_Caster) Equal to 0.00
    Actions
        Unit - Order Copycat_East to Stop
        Unit - Order Copycat_West to Stop
Basically, when the caster unit reaches his point of issued order, the copycats are to stop, endnig their walking animation
Code:
Copycat End
    Events
        Time - Copycat_Timer expires
    Conditions
    Actions
        Unit - Remove Copycat_East from the game
        Unit - Remove Copycat_West from the game
        Trigger - Turn off Copycats Move <gen>
        Trigger - Turn off Copycats Command Check <gen>
After 30 seconds, copycat spell ends.

What I have right:
- the copycats are always moving with the caster (this is actually it)

Problem:
- I can't get the units to attack period
- I am not sure how to correctly detect commands (casting spells, moving, and attacking) and relay them to the copycats

Like i mentioned after the second set of codes, I think the problem is that the action unit: move unit instantly breaks unit commands and movement. But even if that is case, I have no idea how to make this spell work.
I know that I have lots of leaks, but please dont mind them yet, I just want to focus getting the skill right first, then ill clean it up later

What I need help with:
- the problems
- ideas on how I can better create this spell in GUI (last resort JASS) as I can understand it, but it takes me a long ass time to do it correctly.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. - I just attached a map, yes it has emijlr3's attribute system v4 - i attached it for fun :) And i'm sorry the map is superbig, I wanna fit lots and lotsa stuff in it lol.

Attachments

• Songy RPG.w3x
    100.6 KB · Views: 266

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
For instant unit moving without disruption, try adding these lines into the Map Header.
JASS:

function MoveUnit takes unit WhichUnit, location WhichPoint returns nothing
    call SetUnitX (WhichUnit,GetLocationX(WhichPoint))
    call SetUnitY (WhichUnit,GetLocationY(WhichPoint))
endfunction

Then whenever you want to move a unit, use something like this:
Trigger:
  • Custom Script: call MoveUnit (GetTriggerUnit(),udg_Point)

wherein Point is the point you want to move the unit to.

Problem 2: Store any orders given to the main unit, including their targets, into a hashtable. Load those values and give the relevant orders to the copycat units, making sure move/attack-move etc. actions target an offset of the initial targeted point.
I realised there's pretty much no need for the MoveUnit function in this case.

GFreak45

I didnt slap you, i high 5'd your face.
Reaction score
i believe to move a unit instantly without disruption in gui you can just pause the unit before the move then unpause it after

KaerfNomekop

Reaction score
I thought Pausing = Disrupting. E.g. Channeling stops when paused, right? Right? I really don't know XD

Grags_1977

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Copied from Trigger Editor

A paused unit stops and performs no orders, but remembers it's orders and continues them upon being unpaused

Though I think you're probably right on the channeling.

trigger_newb

Reaction score
For instant unit moving without disruption, try adding these lines into the Map Header.
JASS:
function MoveUnit takes unit WhichUnit, location WhichPoint returns nothing
    call SetUnitX (WhichUnit,GetLocationX(WhichPoint))
    call SetUnitY (WhichUnit,GetLocationY(WhichPoint))
endfunction

Then whenever you want to move a unit, use something like this:
Trigger:
  • Custom Script: call MoveUnit (GetTriggerUnit(),udg_Point)

wherein Point is the point you want to move the unit to.

Problem 2: Store any orders given to the main unit, including their targets, into a hashtable. Load those values and give the relevant orders to the copycat units, making sure move/attack-move etc. actions target an offset of the initial targeted point.
I realised there's pretty much no need for the MoveUnit function in this case.

i think ur jass thing will work but can u teach me how to use the x and y coordinates in the w.e?
im gonna go find a tut on hash tables

EDIT: i think u guys should try out the map, the movement works right but the animations are just cancelled and i wnat to keep the movement effects

EDIT 2: OH I get the JASS script, it doesn't require for me to do anything except input the variable lol. That's genius good stuff - and I just read a tut on hash tables and I think ill try something with it. Ill repost it when I'm done

KaerfNomekop

Reaction score
Unless you only have 1 unit, yes, yes they are. They make MUI a lot easier to handle.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.