Spells - Dummy Casters

P

Persen

All of my dummies are special casters that use all kinds of spells.
Should I put it on the unit already?
After reading this, I'm not exactly sure.
Now, imagine someone new to dummies...
Do you use one dummy unit for each spell???
Thats wierd... (Just my opinion, no offense)

> Dummycasters, or dummy units, are invisible units, used to do things which normal triggers cannot do

Really?
I always thought you use dummies when normal, non-triggered abilities, can't handle it...
Thats another way of saying it... Maybe i should change that line.

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
> Do you use one dummy unit for each spell?

I usually go with two, one for spells that work on allies and one with spells that handle enemies.
Unless the IDs conflict...

Jo.O

Bored...
Reaction score
Persen said:
Well, this is also off topic, but in sweden, in 7th grade (13 years old) everyone can choose betweed german or french.
Ich kann deutsch spechen! :D

[off Topic] Well... i live in sweden and as far as i know we get to pick spanish too (I did). :p

Good Tutorial btw

G

Goauld

Well, if really want to overkill it, do all this:
1. Add abilities: Invulnerable (Neutral), Locust and Ghost
2. Set Art - Has Water Shadow, Stats - Can Flee, Stats - Is a Building, Stats - Neutral Building - Shows Minimap Icon to False
3. Set Art - Model File, Art - Shadow Image (Unit), Art - Special, Art - Target, Combat - Attacks Enabled, Combat - Targeted as, Pathing - Pathing Map to None
4. Set Stats - Hide Minimap Display to True
5. Set Pathing - Collision Size, Stats - Sight Radius (Day and Night) to 0
6. Change Combat - Death Type to Can't raise, Does not decay and Stats - Unit Classification to Walkable
7. Then when you create this unit in a trigger set it's vertex coloring to anything with 100% transparency

Good tutorial otherwise if the reader knows what he/she is doing, would need better explaining for newbies.

lopp231

Reaction score
Noob question

Okay, I just did all the steps and I'm pretty excited becuase this is the most advanced spell I've ever made. I worder that wrong let me say it liek this. Usualy I just use object editor to make custom spells, I don't use trigger, GUI, or JASS, and I know a little about dummy casters(this helped a lot!) Now I know that dummycasters are used for more advanced spells. Well, I just finsihed making my dummy caster... now what do I do with it? :eek: This is what I think (correct me if I wrong) Let's say I want to make a hero, so I give him Storm Bolt, Wind Walk, and Vampric Aura, well that's boring, so I'll make a custom spell, now I want this custom spell to do call forth bursts of ice, and each 'iceburst' deals 100 damage,and has a 3 second channeling time.(Like Crsytal Madien from DotA's ultimate witch I know has a dummy caster) So I would make a custom summon spell that has a 3 second challeing time, and summons my dummy caster that I made, true?

**But do I use a Trigger, like:
Actions-Unit is born(born, spawned, summon somthing like that)
Constions-Spawned unit is equal to-dummy caster
Effect-Do 100 damage in and x AoE(Yes, I know this isn't the proper Effect, but you understand.

**Or do I make another custom spell like, Iceburst, and give that to my dummycaster?

And what's the point of a dummycaster really, can't I just use a trigger like:

Actions-Unit begins the effect on an ability
Conditions-Ablity is eaual to X
Effect-The effect that you would have the dummy caster do?

Also, if your dummycaster is a building, what happens if it's summoned on a tilest that's unbuildable?

I know there's dummycasters and dummy abilities(are theese the same thing/differint word) But are there more like dummy effect, dummy doodad,dummy trigger or something?

Edit:If theres anything in here that doesn't make sense, please tell, I'd be glad to clarify. Sometimes my questions, and/or ideas get streached out and unrealted. Anywhoo thanks for the help.

S

suncowiam

Question about attaching special effects to a this dummy unit. I think without a model, one cannot do that, right?

I've tried swapping back and forth with a footman's model. Without a model, I can't attach the effect.

How would I be able to attach to an invisible dummy unit?

[Edited]
I found a dummy.mdl from one of Vex's spell packs. It's invis and can attach to certain points... At least "origin"

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.