Health Stem cell breakthrough gets closer to the clinic

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
The quest for versatile, grow-in-a-dish transplant tissue took a step towards clinical use Thursday when researchers announced they have found a safe way to transform skin cells into stem cells.

Researchers say the method is so promising they hope to apply for approval to begin clinic trials by the middle of next year.

"This is the first safe method of generating patient specific stem cells," said study author Robert Lanza, the chief scientific officer at Stem Cell & Regenerative Medicine International.

"This technology will soon allow us to expand the range of possible stem cell therapies for the entire human body," Lanza told AFP.

Want to know more.

C-Death

I love you
Reaction score
Alot of people are against this, I can see why. But all of the wonderful things this could do could save more lives than it'll take. Not trying to start a debate or anything, just giving my opinion

WastedSavior

A day without sunshine is like, well, night.
Reaction score
Alot of people are against this, I can see why.
Why are they against this?
I thought people were against it because of the use of embryos.
With this method, that reasoning is no longer applicable. :eek:

Seb!

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Why are they against this?
I thought people were against it because of the use of embryos.
With this method, that reasoning is no longer applicable. :eek:

It's fun to throw religion at things that you don't have any idea about because you're too ignorant and lazy to actually find out what's going on?

Jackal

You can change this now in User CP... or Die Tryin
Reaction score
Alot of people are against this, I can see why. But all of the wonderful things this could do could save more lives than it'll take. Not trying to start a debate or anything, just giving my opinion

It wouldn't take any lives. The embryos they use for research were aborted and would have just been thrown out if they had no use for science.

C-Death

I love you
Reaction score
My mistake allow me to re do what I mean. Around where I love, it's a vast majority Christan "I'm so much better than you! Your going to hell!" pricks. They would have a friggin cow gasam if they pulled their heads out of their asses long enough to know what was going on.

The reason people are against it in the first place is the whole abortion part, which I say get the hell over it.

Effane

Save/Load Code Tutorial
Reaction score
These skin cells arent from embryos. They are from Adult donors. You could in theory donate your own cells to be formed into the stem cells for use in your own body. In cases except cancer this would be fine.

As far as the embryonic stem cell research there are some serious issues. One of them being the farming of embryos with the intent to produce aborted fetus's or to remove organs.

http://pharmalicensing.com/public/articles/view/1017309289_3ca2e869c7411

It's a tough ground to go on. While adult stem cell is pretty straight forward AND can get around some forms of religous medical strictness (its not a drug, its your own body's cells healing you) embryonic is another story all together.

Last thing I personally would want to see is women in Mexico having a baby every 5 months to produce stem cells for a research facility in the US. If we aren't careful we might just get that. BTW, I have seen some studies that were in favor of Embryonic research but cited one of the biggest issues beyond legalizing it was the lack of enough fetus donors.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.