Other The Great Seige

dondonda

Reaction score
The Great Siege

map by dondonda (aka slowrider)

Throughout the history of man there was a kingdom that stood as a symbol of craftsmanship, bravery, and superiority of man. The great city of Talvar has been the capital of man for over 1200 years; said to be indestructible and that no enemy will ever step foot inside its walls.

But the decrepit and amplifying forces of the Orc, Trolls, Undead and Demons have summoned together to put forth an army that the world has never seen. Their numbers are massive, tactics are brutal, and ranks are everlasting. And they will not stop until they bring the great city to the ground.

This map is an epic castle defense/RPG style slaughter of countless foes. 9 players can explore the gigantic and realistic city of Talvar, where NPC's give out quests, almost every building has an indoor, Items are bought/ awarded - all while the city is under siege by an everlasting force. Prepare to embark on the toughest and most engaging castle defense in Warcraft. The map will be nearly impossible to beat, with over 100 waves of oncoming enemies, many quests within the huge city, and hidden secrets in the surrounding area for players to uncover. Players can save their experience in game to unlock stronger heroes in future games. Realism will be key in this map; Items will show on each character, and every section of the city will be perfectly terrained.

Progress:

• Terrain (City) = 100%
  • Terrain (Indoor) = 50%
  • Terrain (Outskirts) = 65%
  • Heroes = 100% (For now, many more will be added)
  • Items = 70%
  • Spawns = 40%
  • Systems (save/load, Experience, Hero Revive, Creep Revive) = 100%
  • Spells = 75%
  • Cinematic = 0%
  • Quests = 0%

Screenshots

talvar1.png

talvar2.png

talvar3.png

Team:

Dondonda(aka slowrider): Terrain/Triggers/Object Editor
Joccaren: Object Editor/Triggers

For those interested; POST HERE!

We are past the recruitment stage and are well into development now. I have ran into a few problems involving critical errors recently and have had to stall further development to solve these errors, I am not sure if they are caused by triggers or lag, but I do realize that this map will not run properly on slower computers because of serious lag. I have included an unprotected version of the map for people to test and help fix. Any help is appreciated!

http://www.epicwar.com/maps/125668/

Nherwyziant

Be better than you were yesterday :D
Reaction score
I played your map, and wow, the terrain was very surprising. The first hero I chose was Ramen or something like that, the bug is

Greed skill: WHen u you it, then your press stop command while on enemy, you will get loads of money.

Third skill: Doesn't show icon

4th: It's hotkey is "M" so if you use the letter M, it is the command MOVE, so casting the spell using the hotkey will order the hero to move.

===

Some enemies can enter the barracks. (Bug? or is it really allowed?)

QUESTION: Why is the warriors and knight allies allowed to be controlled?

dondonda

Reaction score
First of all the models arent mine, i got most of them off of hive or WC3 campaigns.

And thanks for the feedback, i will fix the hotkey issue and the greed bug, if you mean the palace by barracks than yes the enemy are supposed to enter. There are 3 defeat conditions for this map, if 100 civilians die, the Oracle of the Gods is destroyed, or if the King dies inside the palace.
And the warriors and knights are controlled by all if no one is playing Player 9 slot (City).

Goliath520

Reaction score
all I have to say is wow, that is really cool. the map its self is really well made. the terrain and pathing and all is really well done. i wish I could work on a project like that. if you had room, I would love to help in any ways I can. I can't model but I am decent with triggers and cinematic.

dondonda

Reaction score
all I have to say is wow, that is really cool. the map its self is really well made. the terrain and pathing and all is really well done. i wish I could work on a project like that. if you had room, I would love to help in any ways I can. I can't model but I am decent with triggers and cinematic.

Hey man im glad you liked it! I will be releasing a new update with tons of new features and improvements/balancing ect.. And if you want to help I mean as far as I'm concerned any help we get will only help the map progress. Joccaren is currently working on a few systems and units, but if you are interested I could use some help thinking of some new hero ideas..

Anyways contact me at [email protected] if you want to help us

dondonda

Reaction score
New map available...

I was hoping id get some more feedback from these forums. I've been hosting online and testing but i was hoping i could get some suggestions from fellow mapmakers too.

Nenad

~Choco Coronet~ Omnomnom
Reaction score
Although not meant to play as 1 player only, i had fun ^^

The terrain is wonderful, probably what i like the most about the map. The town looks very nice, and so do the outskirts. However, it's very VERY confusing. I couldn't tell where i was most of the times on the map and there was only one vendor for weapons outside. Can you put something in like:

-Shop
Pings shops on map

That would help me and newbie players ^^

The skills are okay, some hotkeys are wrong (i took the appolo archer hero). I would like to see a more detailed description about damage in the learning section, not just ''adds fire damage to your attacks''.

Another thing is the city guards. Can you make them respawn? There is only a limited number of guards while the town is filed with able looking men and women that can fight. Is it possible for town guards to spawn every once in a while, so that they actually do something in the a bit latter part of the game? ^^

That's all for now, i like the concept (the arrows is a cool idea by the way ^^), and i wish you luck! This looks promising just keep up the good work :D

dondonda

Reaction score
Hey thanks for testing, I have been working hard on trying to make the map simpler for new players to understand, and i think command pings are a useful idea. As for the guards, there is a spawn at the back castle and you can buy new spawns in the top right corner as well. Maybe i could include commands like -spawns to find out where the guards spawn as well. Eventually i will redo the tooltips and fix that up! thanks

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
maybe you could use the ingame function of minimap icons in warcraft, like the goldmine icons for guardian spawns, the shop icons for vendors, the neutral building icons for the gates (where the battle is) etc.

dondonda

Reaction score
Yes, i have the shops symbols on the minimap but this still seems to confuse people when they play, probably because the minimap is pretty clustered.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
i tested the new version and i can see you have improved it alot.

there are still some things mich you might think about:
1).
villagers from the outposts might want to flee into the town if they are getting attacked. i doubt any men would stay still and wait to get killed by raiding monsters. maybe make them all escape if one of them is killed.

2).
when a player is entering / leaving a house you should really pan his camera to the new position.

3).
maybe the guards should have healing potions or maybe there might be priests standing at several positions in town to heal wounded guards.

4).
a problem of the wc3 engine is that one player cannot have too many units at once. they start to stop their current action every once in a while. this usually happens for players with 150+ units at once.
the creeps in your map seem to reach this border as well from time to time. maybe you should drop the playernumber and give control of the 3 creep races to 3 different AI players. Alternatively you might give it to neutral hostile / special / victim as well.

5).
in the interior there are some lightsources shining from the ceiling which are a little bit too bright. they seem to flash the whole screen into bright white. maybe you might make it a little 'darker'.

6).
really really nice map keep it on!

dondonda

Reaction score
Hey man thanks for testing, I really like your suggestions and they will help alot.

1) this is a great idea, and I will create a warning or notice to all players that a town is evacuating.
2)I originally had it set up this way but I believe that it leaked player groups? And I'm not that good with mui triggers yet so I decided to remove it.
3)the medicine that players buy can be used to heal guards and other players.
4)I didn't know about this problem before but I will definately look into it and try and find a suitable solution.
5)fixed
6)thanks :)

Reaction score
Comments
I got lost. Maybe you can have some arrows, placed on the grounds, directing new players? For e.g. *Arrow Points North-East* and the text beside it will be "To battlefield"
The area is too big! It takes too long for me to walk from the town center to the west wing of the city. Probably can add some town portals or some teleporting device?
The town is very detailed! :)

Bugs

Items goes green, due to the missing DISBTN icons.
Larodar's nature guise tooltip had pierce spelt wrongly.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
another bug i found was that if you sell your starting equipment you cannot get it back and the equipment sold at the shops cannot be worn by characters below lvl 10.
actually i think such a restriction is a very bad idea, its pretty useless in this game because all players will most likely always have the more or less same level and the good equipment cannot be bought at beginning because of its cost.

you should as well give more time till the game starts, maybe make it like this: the spawn will wait until ALL players chose a character, or make it at least wait in single player.
the reason is that you wrote those detailed information about the heroes in the tooltips and you got a plenty of heroes in your game. players are just not able to read all that stuff in time or the town has already fallen.

dondonda

Reaction score
Thanks for testing once again, and as far as tooltips go, I will be doing a massive overhaul of them and adding more detailed descriptions/spelling etc. I originally had teleports to teleport players to the outer towns but I found this was less effective since it did not allow players to familarize with the city and so they got lost easier, basically with most new maps you feel lost the first few times you play it... But if you still get this feeling after a couple plays let me know and I'll try and add a system to guide people.

The equipment is tiered by levels because it is basically for the sake of directing the correct item build for players to survive...Like if i removed the level requirements then players might save all their money to buy the best sword, but this is not a good strategy because you really need armour and a sheild as well to be able to last more than 30 seconds in battle. Also the first equipment you start with has no sale value, so players shouldn't be tempted to sell it at all.

For starting times... This is a tough dilemma for everyone to agree on, when I play with people online some complain that the game is too slow and that they wait too much for creeps to show up, and some say there isn't enough time. Also you will familiarize yourself with the heroes as you play them, and I believe that you have 3 minutes to choose a hero so that should be enough. Anyways thanks again Accname for suggestions and I will include your name in credits when I get a chance for the help youve provided :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.