The why random is not random question.

Solu9

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I am sure this has been asked a million times before. But after a quick google search I did not find any useful answers.

Now. I have some triggers similar to this one:
Trigger:
  • Terrain Deformation
    • Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • For each (Integer A) from 1 to 150, do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Set Point_Deformation1 = (Random point in (Playable map area))
          • Set Point_Deformation2 = (Random point in (Playable map area))
          • Environment - Create a 0.50 second Permanent crater deformation at Point_Deformation1 with radius (Random real number between 500.00 and 2500.00) and depth (Random real number between -500.00 and 50.00)
          • Environment - Create a 0.50 second Permanent crater deformation at Point_Deformation2 with radius (Random real number between 1500.00 and 5000.00) and depth (Random real number between -50.00 and 150.00)
          • Custom script: call RemoveLocation (udg_Point_Deformation1)
          • Custom script: call RemoveLocation (udg_Point_Deformation2)

Same goes for the heroes controlled by each player. It uses the same kind of set point system.

I have become bald trying to figure out why the terrain is the same over and over again. And that is if I run the map either via the "test map" function in the editor, run the map as a single player custom map OR multiplayer LAN. The terrain is ALWAYS the same and the different player's heroes is ALWAYS created at the same spot.

I have read somewhere that random is not random, but as far as I know it only applies to pre-coded chance abilites like "Critical Strike" and "Evasion".

Anyone care to elaborate on the subject or telling me why my random is not random?

Solu9

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Hmm actually I think I solved it myself. It would seem I several Integer A and Integer B was colliding and thus screwed it all up.
Right now, when I run the map as a single player custom map, all players spawns at random and the terrain is different every time.

I am still a bit confu why Interger A and B in different triggers interfere with each other. Especially when it is not in conjunction with Map Ini.

Imp Midna

Reaction score
elaborate. hehe.
As you know, computers are determined machines and therefor are not capable of doing anything "random". There are several methods of generating random numbers (eg, putting a radioactive element into your computer and counting how many disintegration happen, though this method is, for some reason, not really commonly used for pc's)
Pseudorandom number generators as used in pc's usually consist of a chaotic mathematical function, one whose result quickly changes even when the given parameter only differs a little bit. Now, you still need a parameter for this chaotic function. This parameter is usually given only once to initiate the random generator and is called "seed". There are several creative ways to get a seed, like using the current time, year, the amount of clicks done by now, the amount of steps taken etc etc. When TASsing games, you commonly use this (eg, walk two steps more before you encounter a battle, but therefor, the seed is exactly what you need to get 3 crits in a row, stuff like that)
In Warcraft 3, the seed is usually initialized by the game itself, so you don't have to worry about all that; the pseudorandom number generator automatically creates pseudorandom numbers. There are only 2 ways that i know to change the seed:
- File menu -> preferences ->Test map settings -> Use Fixed Random Seed, which somehow defaults to be ticked
- SetRandomSeed() from the native JASS functions
The Former should not affect the game when you start it from the game's exe itself without using the world editor. The Latter is hard to accidentally call. The only thing that might cause this problem is using Video - Turn cinematic mode on for (some player(s)) twice in a row or not turning it off again.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.