Environment Thriving since 1960, seedling sealed in its own ecosystem and watered just once in 53 years

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
article-2267504-17212EB3000005DC-781_634x663.jpg

To look at this flourishing mass of plant life you’d think David Latimer was a green-fingered genius. Truth be told, however, his bottle garden – now almost in its 53rd year – hasn’t taken up much of his time.

In fact, on the last occasion he watered it Ted Heath was Prime Minister and Richard Nixon was in the White House. For the last 40 years it has been completely sealed from the outside world. But the indoor variety of spiderworts (or Tradescantia, to give the plant species its scientific Latin name) within has thrived, filling its globular bottle home with healthy foliage.

Yesterday Mr Latimer, 80, said: ‘It’s 6ft from a window so gets a bit of sunlight. It grows towards the light so it gets turned round every so often so it grows evenly. ‘Otherwise, it’s the definition of low-maintenance. I’ve never pruned it, it just seems to have grown to the limits of the bottle.’

The bottle garden has created its own miniature ecosystem. Despite being cut off from the outside world, because it is still absorbing light it can photosynthesise, the process by which plants convert sunlight into the energy they need to grow.

Last edited by a moderator:

camelCase

The Case of the Mysterious Camel.
Reaction score
He's so skilled, he doesn't have to touch the plants to make them grow. Also, shove this article in them hippies' faces. Growin' plants without watering them before it was cool.

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
He's so skilled, he doesn't have to touch the plants to make them grow. Also, shove this article in them hippies' faces. Growin' plants without watering them before it was cool.
Wait, so now everyone don't water their plants anymore? I don't get your argument... Also, who would want to wait 53 years for weed to grow or at least for an extended period of time ( since the Plant needed 53 years to fully use the space of the bottle ).

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
It probably just stopped growing after it reached the edges in like 5 years or so.
I can imagine that that would be the case. But in the Article it is said that he left the Bottle untouched for more than 40 years, which would mean that to recreate the effect, you would have to take all the steps he took.

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
I can imagine that that would be the case. But in the Article it is said that he left the Bottle untouched for more than 40 years, which would mean that to recreate the effect, you would have to take all the steps he took.
Which was effectively nothing, right?

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score

The article says that it has been over 40 years since he watered it; not that it took that long to grow. It says that the plant is 53 years old. Apparently he opened it up to water it 13 years in. My guess is that it had stopped growing and wouldn't fill the container completely. The amount of water available in total would be part of the limiting factors of how large the plant could grow; therefore--if the original amount was not enough--at some point more water would need to be added in order to allow more growth.

Other than that, it's a plant. Why wouldn't it grow quickly?

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
Which was effectively nothing, right?

Indeed. Nothing for 53 years :p

The article says that it has been over 40 years since he watered it; not that it took that long to grow. It says that the plant is 53 years old. Apparently he opened it up to water it 13 years in. My guess is that it had stopped growing and wouldn't fill the container completely. The amount of water available in total would be part of the limiting factors of how large the plant could grow; therefore--if the original amount was not enough--at some point more water would need to be added in order to allow more growth.

Other than that, it's a plant. Why wouldn't it grow quickly?

Well, you can't have more than with what you started, so I agree with you.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.