Timers

TheOverWhelm

Reaction score
Hey, I know that creating lots of timers make them more and more inaccurate so i was curious how bad they get for each timer.
Like, say I have 150 timers going at once each ending after 100 seconds. How many seconds would they actuall last?
Reason I ask is that I know timers get a bit "off" the more and more you add (from comments between individuals).
Any help would be useful!
Thanks

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I have never heard about something like that. As far as i can recall timers are very accurate.
But if you heard this and want to test it out why dont you just do it?
Createa map, create a thousand timers and let them run and print the result at the end.

TheOverWhelm

Reaction score
Timers are very accurate but get less and less accurate the more you make, or so I've been told in the past.
I wouldn't know how to test it without having a clock on the side read to see when it ends, plus I wouldn't want to sit on a screen for 100 seconds testing it with 1000 timers running (creating that much at once could set off the results, too) with a response-click ready.
Reason i ask is I could have a lot of timers in something I am doing and some of them require them to be accurate to certain amount of places.

Hell, i could be getting confused with how off they get with length of periods. idunno, just hopin for info

TheOverWhelm

Reaction score
Anyone know anything or anything that could assist?
Or the best way to handle timers (I'm refraining from using external sources but info could be of help!)

-OverpoweR-

Reaction score
I wouldn't know how to test it without having a clock on the side read to see when it ends, plus I wouldn't want to sit on a screen for 100 seconds testing it with 1000 timers running (creating that much at once could set off the results, too) with a response-click ready.

Uhm why dont you just Create 1000 timers with an expiration time of 10 seconds? (Just sayin' for testing purposes.) And see the results yourself :D

OMGOMGOMG

UMBWGMG (Unidentified Human Being.)
Reaction score
Would take long to make, and longer to delete :p, and 10 seconds is too short in my honest opinion.... and the screen can't fit 1000 timers on 1 screen :p it'd have to be 10-20 timers. But here's an idea: Make 2 timers with 100 seconds, if they are both the same and end at the same time (or 25 seconds) then add another and another and another until you got 1 of them to take longer than 25 seconds (So you need to time it) 2 - time it 25 seconds 3 - time it 25 seconds if that takes longer than 25 seconds by .2 seconds, you won't notice it. do it till about 10 times :p. something along those lines.

And how much are you wanting to create at 1 time? Cause of course, you don't need 2 timers running at one time, you'd need only 1, which that can be set to all players (Using picked players).

TheOverWhelm

Reaction score
I know some of those opensource timer systems use up to 100 timers.
And the whole 1000 timers at once with exp of 10 seconds wouldn't be a good way to test it. If each timer is affected the same way, they could all end after 9 seconds (I wouldn't know the difference).
If no one knows without testing, i wont worry about it. I mean, it wont be a huge affect and it shouldn't matter too much.
Some of the things I'm doing could create a lot of timers (100 DPS things going on, 100 projectiles in the air all launched at different times, if not more and such). Dunno how bad it would be until I have made something with the systems I've made
Thanks tho!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.