Tom & Jerry

Tru_Power22

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
So I recently came across a tom and jerry DVD at a local garage sale. I bought if on the recommendation of a friend. I think it's really quite funny for what it is. Frankly, I don't get when the TV industry stopped making slapstick funny. Have you guys ever seen the show? What are your thoughts on it?

Wikipedia said:
Tom and Jerry is a series of animated theatrical shorts created by William Hanna and Joseph Barbera for Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer that centered on a never-ending rivalry between a housecat (Tom) and a mouse (Jerry) whose chases and battles often involved comic violence. Hanna and Barbera ultimately wrote and directed one hundred and fourteen Tom and Jerry cartoons at the MGM cartoon studio in Hollywood, California between 1940 and 1957, when the animation unit was closed. The original series is notable for having won the Academy Awards for Best Short Subject (Cartoons) seven times, tying it with Walt Disney's Silly Symphonies as the theatrical animated series with the most Oscars.

If you haven't seen (you don't know what your missing) it here is one of the shorts.

EDIT:

LOL YouTube has banhammared the video I put up. I'm uploading one to daily motion right now, will post when it's done.

Here we go, a shot I re-uploaded at daily motion:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xb744p_nw7w6w6u_animals

Monsterous

In the Shadows, Lurking.
Reaction score
This reminds me of when on Ventrilo, someone had an episode of Tom and Jerry on, and i guessed it perfectly, and what part it was on. (The seal escaping from the circus one.)

The good ol' ones were simply the best, but the new ones aren't as slapstick, and aren't as funny.
NOTHING will beat the originals.

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
because the CEO of big companies are money grubbing retards that hire writers that try too hard to be funny :/

Tru_Power22

Reaction score
because the CEO of big companies are money grubbing retards that hire writers that try too hard to be funny :/

Not to mention a cartoon like that would be taken of in an instant because of PETA or some stupid sh*t like that.

Tru_Power22

Reaction score
Wow, that was fast. I'll see if I can upload one of the ones I have up to google video or something.

KK, uploaded one.

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
When you really think about it, the Tom and Jerry series were subtly horrible for kids. The little mouse sidekick always got drunk in the Musketeer episodes... And somehow, getting drunk helps him beat up a cat.

A few times, the ending is somewhat grotesque... To once again bring up the Musketeer episodes, I remember specifically that Tom gets beheaded for not catching the mice. They don't show his head coming off, but you see a guillotine in the distance and you know what's going on.

Kinda grusome for little kids.

Danny Cross

Bunny
Reaction score
I think everyone grew up with this !!!! Its a very good series, we still watch it from time to time :)

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
i dont think it was the show. it was the age. back then. slap-stick humor was all the rage, and it was actually done right. tom and jerry is an animation excellence in a sea of excellence (bug's bunny, looney tunes [the original], etc..)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.