too many doodads for terrain deformation?

Doomhammer

Bob Kotick - Gamers' corporate spoilsport No. 1
Reaction score
I've made a spell that includes terrain deformation. It works well in my test map, which is a 64x64 Lordaeron spring map with a rather small amount of doodads. Yet when I use the spell in the proper map, which is a 92x92 Sunken ruins map already richly decorated with lots of custom doodads, it causes unholy lags.
Anyone had the same experience? Or could anything else cause the lags when terrain deformations are to be applied?

chovynz

We are all noobs! in different states of Noobism!
Reaction score
Are you removing the locations after deforming? Can you post some triggers or a map so we can see what is happening?

I think we need more detail on what is happening. Theres too many things that might be causing the lag to give you an answer without seeing the map or triggers.

Doomhammer

Reaction score
here's the testmap I created. It contains the CSC+CSS made wave-form spell "creeping roots". in the testmap it all runs nicely. The testmap has 299 trees/destructables and 0 other doodads

The map in which the exact code same causes horrible lags has 169 trees/destructables and 2339 other doodads (was: over 3200, as I already removed about 800 doodads)

OK, now look at map testmap 2 (snaking2) : it is the testmap again, yet with an equal amount of other doodads. See the difference when casting the spell?

juty

Zoom out problems look smaller
Reaction score
I have had a similar problem with one of my simpler maps due to the fact my cpu was locking up because the graphic card is too small for the map. It might just be something like that. By the way my pc didn’t lock up in the map with 1gig ram and 64bit graphic card. And it works fine with them map by the way I really like the map.

Doomhammer

Reaction score
ah, ok; thanks for posting your experience.

In my case there is one thing that helps a bit: Increase the timing interval of terrain deformations, so less deforms have to be made per second. I set my original value of 0.04 per second to 0.12, and it runs a lot better.

Thing is, that I had to remove more than a thousand nicely placed doodads from my proper map to get a better performance; that hurts a lot, as it took ages to get that appealing type of dense jungle terrain; but together with longer timer intervals, I made the map playable again.

so lesson learned: nice terrain is a great thing, but don't overdo it with doodads as they make your map slow and for some functions, such as terrain deformations even unplayably laggy.

Arkan

Nobody rides for free
Reaction score
I have the same problem, even the smallest terrain deformation cripples my computer during the deformation duration. I have 17000+ doodads and very non-linear ground structure, so I guess that's why.

Some people don't notice, think it's cause they got better computers..

Doomhammer

Reaction score
yeah, those are the guys with their GeForce8800 Ultra;

your doodad amount sounds amazing.
I'd like to see that map when its done!

Arkan

Nobody rides for free
Reaction score
You can, it's the Dark Invasion ORPG at members projects. A part of those doodads are pathing blockers though.

chovynz

We are all noobs! in different states of Noobism!
Reaction score
Just an observation. You have alot of moving doodads (including fire, flies, birds and alot of "zzzzz" on asleep animals. When you cast that spell it just adds more moving things to the list. I tried testing with black mask and fog on but the WE crashed. It didn't like me messing with your script. :)

Try testing with the mask and fog enabled and see what difference that makes. If it does make a difference (and i suspect it will) then you will be able to include all those doodads. If theres no difference i suggest taking some of the moving things out like flies and birds.

To me they just seemed unecessary.

Doomhammer

Reaction score
absolutely: the doodads in the second map are there for demonstration purpose, not for deco: they represent an equal amount of doodads in the project map I'm working on, and where the spell is to be implemented.

anyway, your observation with the black mask sounds hot...maybe there's a way to get the terrain deformations without stripping the doodads down to a few dozen. I'd be more than delighted to get that sorted. Stay with me on this one... do you have further ideas how to sort that out?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.