Trap Problems

captainrads

Reaction score
My map features traps which, once built, should be able to be walked over by units, yet not attacked by them. However, I do want certain units to be able to attack them. To do this, I've tried giving the units a "tree" classification, which hasn't worked. I've also tried numerous other classifications that would allow only the certain units to attack, but nothing has worked so far. EDIT: To be specific, the only units that should be able to inflict damage on the traps are siege units, specifically tanks.

The traps have no collision size or pathing maps to allow them to be built anywhere, and have simple abilities like disease cloud and immolation, but that's about all that separates them from normal units. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shadow

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Well the classification thing should do the trick as long as the fields are correct.

You could do

E: Unit ordered to attack
C: If unit type of triggering unit is not equal to Trap Killer
A:Order unit to stop

tmow

Reaction score
make them immune to magic and give the untis that u want to attack normal attack and units that u dont want to magic damage...

A tougher way is to make the triggered version

Event" a unit is attacked:

Conditon" attacking unit is Not equal to *attacker1* and attacking unit is not equal to attacking unit *2*

ACtion: stop unit

captainrads

Reaction score
Well I changed the classification back to structure, and added in this trigger:
Trap Targets
Events
Unit - A unit Is issued an order targeting an object
Conditions
(Unit-type of (Target unit of issued order)) Equal to Bio Trap
(Unit-type of (Ordered unit)) Not equal to twominspawntype[(Integer A)]
Actions
Unit - Order (Ordered unit) to Stop

Now all units can attack it, but the trap isn't affected by the splash damage of my own tank unit. "twominspawntype" is the unit group in which all tank units are in.

Bloodydood

Reaction score
You could have a switch to attack instead of having only siege units attack the actual traps. Would probably be easier.

JuiceBox

Reaction score
Freehanded!!

Event: Unit enters Playable Map Area
Condition: Triggering unit is equal to Trap
Action: Set TrapRegionPoint = Position of triggering unit

Event: Unit enters region/point
Condition: region/point is equal to TrapRegionPoint
Action: Kill triggering unit [up to you], destroy TrapRegionPoint

Note: Use a region/point variable for the TrapRegionPoint.
Note 2: "Trap" is the trap structure that was built.
Note 3: You can use a unit-type variable for "Trap"(s) if there's lots of them built and the you can use:
Pick every unit in unit group of type = Trap.

captainrads

Reaction score
Freehanded!!

Event: Unit enters Playable Map Area
Condition: Triggering unit is equal to Trap
Action: Set TrapRegionPoint = Position of triggering unit

Event: Unit enters region/point
Condition: region/point is equal to TrapRegionPoint
Action: Kill triggering unit [up to you], destroy TrapRegionPoint

Note: Use a region/point variable for the TrapRegionPoint.
Note 2: "Trap" is the trap structure that was built.
Note 3: You can use a unit-type variable for "Trap"(s) if there's lots of them built and the you can use:
Pick every unit in unit group of type = Trap.
That seems like it will destroy the trap when a certain unit runs into it or over it. I want the trap to be attackable only by seige-type units, or units that have the "attack ground" ability.

@Bloodydood: Locust didn't work. Doesn't locust make the unit invulnerable?

Joccaren

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
no, locust does not make the unit invulnerable, just unable to be targetted. It should still be hit by splash damage.

Yoshii

Reaction score
no, locust does not make the unit invulnerable, just unable to be targetted. It should still be hit by splash damage.

I was under the impression that this is not the case I remenber a case with a unit casting a nova-like ability near a locust unit and it did not damage him at all .Cant test it at the moment

captainrads

Reaction score
I set up multiple tanks to fire at a trap for about ten minutes. With no hp regen and not much hp in the first place, it really should have died.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.