Two Questions Regarding Turning

wingdnosring

Reaction score
1. Units often turn 90 degrees on their own, especially if they've been idle for some time. Is there any way to prevent this? [SOLVED]

2. Why does this no longer work? I had it working and now suddenly it's not...I can only assume it was something in the data editor:

Code:
Actor - Make (Actor for Controlled Shooter[CheckingCoverLoop2]) face (Camera Yaw of Player(CheckingCoverLoop2))

Basically, is there some value in the Data editor I may have set that prevents actors from turning independently of the unit?

I figure I should just add more questions here rather than making another thread.

3. Is it possible to assign a Camera negative values? Ideally I'd like negative Distance to be implemented for scoped weaponry.

wingdnosring

Reaction score
The wierd thing was that is was turning. I changed some things in the data editor (can't remember what) and now it doesn't :S. My variables are okay I think. I can turn the unit, just not the actor for some reason.

[Edit]: Here's the whole trigger, in case it helps somehow:

Code:
Maintaining Cover Aim Attack
    Events
        Timer - Every 0.02 seconds of Game Time
    Local Variables
        CheckingCoverLoop2 = 0 <Integer>
    Conditions
    Actions
        General - For each integer CheckingCoverLoop2 from 1 to 14 with increment 1, do (Actions)
            Actions
                General - If (Conditions) then do (Actions) else do (Actions)
                    If
                        CoverOn[CheckingCoverLoop2] == true
                    Then
                            If
                                Or
                                    Conditions
                                        (Abs(((Camera Yaw of Player(CheckingCoverLoop2)) - (Facing of Controlled Shooter[CheckingCoverLoop2])))) < 90.0
                                        (Abs(((Camera Yaw of Player(CheckingCoverLoop2)) - (Facing of Controlled Shooter[CheckingCoverLoop2])))) > 270.0
                            Then
                                Actor - Make (Actor for Controlled Shooter[CheckingCoverLoop2]) face (Camera Yaw of Player(CheckingCoverLoop2))
                            Else
                                Actor - Make (Actor for Controlled Shooter[CheckingCoverLoop2]) face (Facing of Controlled Shooter[CheckingCoverLoop2])
                                    If
                                        Left Click Down[CheckingCoverLoop2] == true
                                        RightClickDown[CheckingCoverLoop2] == false
                                    Then
                                        Variable - Set Left Click Down[CheckingCoverLoop2] = false
                                        Animation - Clear the Default animation for (Actor for Controlled Shooter[CheckingCoverLoop2])
                                    Else
                    Else

I have confirmed via error messages that the if statement works properly.

wingdnosring

Reaction score
Yeah, but if I say "Make unit face Angle" it responds. If I try "Make Actor face angle" it does nothing. I was using Actor in this instance instead of Unit because I wanted to memorize the unit's facing angle without the need for variables. Each unit essentially has two facing angles, Actor and Unit. They're just usually one and the same.

[Edit]: How am I supposed to edit the fidget value for 1? I tried setting stand to 100 and turn and idle to zero, but he still does both. Just flat out deleting them does nothing, since they seem to just come back...

wingdnosring

Reaction score
I ran a few more tests for the second problem. I simply changed my variable to a selected unit. If I select another unit, like say...a ghost, it works perfectly. I tried manually selecting my desired uint in case it was a variable messing up, but it still didn't work. Upon doing more tests, it is definitely a data editor issue. The default Marine model and all duplicates of it have the same problem. I assume this means I changed something on the standard marine uint, which then caused this problem. Unfortunately, I have no idea what I did. I've now spent hours trying to figure this damn thing out.

Reaction score
A few out of my head...

Stats - Flag: Turnable?
Unit - Mover: Ground?
Unit - Movement Speed > 0?

If all else fails, consider resetting the marine to parent and applying your changes again. Shouldn't take long to find the culprit.

wingdnosring

Reaction score
I've tried that multiple times...I tried giving a ghost the marine model to see what was messing up. The ghost with the marine model could no longer receive the action. So somehow its the marine model that seems to be the problem, rather than the actor or unit. I suppose it could be multiple problems across all three objects, but I doubt it.

What confuses me is that models have so little customization. I don't see anything on the model that could be causing the problem.

Renendaru

(Evol)ution is nothing without love.
Reaction score
I've tried that multiple times...I tried giving a ghost the marine model to see what was messing up. The ghost with the marine model could no longer receive the action. So somehow its the marine model that seems to be the problem, rather than the actor or unit. I suppose it could be multiple problems across all three objects, but I doubt it.

What confuses me is that models have so little customization. I don't see anything on the model that could be causing the problem.

Maybe its head cannot turn, as the dark templar can't as well I believe.

Renendaru

(Evol)ution is nothing without love.
Reaction score
Oh, the head?
All this time I thought we were onto the actual unit's facing angle. xD

Oh... woops. To turn a unit, why not just move it to that location. I use a movement system that will turn the movement if you use the left or right keys...

wingdnosring

Reaction score
Well, the main issue is turning the Actor. Turning its chest and head would be nice, but I'm pretty sure the marine is simply unable to perform that action due to his model design.

Again, I can turn the unit just fine, but I want to turn the Actor, which is quite different. I had it working briefly and now suddenly the unit's actor is unable to turn...

As for giving the Ghost the Marine's model, I simply altered the Ghosts actor to use the marine model.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.