US News U.S. Sees Marriage Act as Violation of Gay Rights

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
WASHINGTON — President Obama, in a major legal policy shift, has directed the Justice Department to stop defending the Defense of Marriage Act — the 1996 law that bars federal recognition of same-sex marriages — against lawsuits challenging it as unconstitutional.

Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. sent a letter to Congress on Wednesday saying that the Justice Department will now take the position in court that the act should be struck down as a violation of same-sex couples’ rights to equal protection under the law.

“The president and I have concluded that classifications based on sexual orientation warrant heightened scrutiny and that, as applied to same-sex couples legally married under state law,” a crucial provision of the act is unconstitutional, Mr. Holder wrote.

Read more here.

FABULOUS!

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
I wish people stuck for me like that.

xxxtrickyxxx

(o Y o)
Reaction score
funny how people complains about gay rights and want to be accepted, yet want religion taken out of everything.

Zerox

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
funny how people complains about gay rights and want to be accepted, yet want religion taken out of everything.

That's because homosexuality and religion don't go well together. They're enemies of the highest degree in most religions.

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
Do couples get the same rights in civil unions as married couples? If so, then the government should stay out of marriage issues due to separation of church and state.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.