Unit Balancing

LmmcDarkY

Reaction score
So I'm making a map. I want each player to have diffrent units but they should be balanced so none is too imba.
I looked through browsers for unit balancer but didn't find anything so if someone knows where can i get it or any good way for balancing please post. +rep :)

Necrach

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
One way is to make every unit from the same base. With this, you can see very clearly as you change stats and cost how to balance the units! It will take some work to make all units variated, though.

mapguy

Reaction score
I think that WC3 units are already balanced by gold+lumber+food, so, you could use this value of pre-existing units.

OFFTOPIC: WHY THIS FORUM IS SO EMPTY? EVERYONE DIED?

SwedishChef

Reaction score
I think that WC3 units are already balanced by gold+lumber+food, so, you could use this value of pre-existing units.

OFFTOPIC: WHY THIS FORUM IS SO EMPTY? EVERYONE DIED?

Vacation.

And on topic: Base it of the same units and develope them to more unique ones is the best tip. Also there is a program called something with balancer which checks how well two units are balanced to each other. However I don't like that program very much.

Bogrim

y hello thar
Reaction score
Let's say you have a wave of 6 Ghouls fighting a wave of 4 Huntress. To balance this match, you should make sure the wave has an even amount of dps and hit points in total. That means if you balance the wave to have 200 dps and 2000 hit points in total, then each Ghoul should have 200/6 dps and 2000/6 hit points, while the Huntress should have 200/4 dps and 2000/4 hit points.

In the ladder, you get a certain amount of dps, hit points and armor per gold, where movement speed, tier and food cost are also factored into "the equation".

mapguy

Reaction score
You can't balance by this way if you:

- give abilities to creeps.
- give passive abilities or auras to creeps.
- give ranged attack to creeps.

sentrywiz

Reaction score
One way is to make every unit from the same base. With this, you can see very clearly as you change stats and cost how to balance the units! It will take some work to make all units variated, though.

Already answered by Necrach. Base unit with no abilities and starting:

-Hitpoints
-Mana (if needs)
-Move speed
-Attack speed, damage, missile type(if needs) and damage type
-Armor
-Stats(if hero)
-Vision (acquisition range, attack range, day/night range)

Also, animation of move and attack is greatly important. I banged my head for months in an AoS map because of two identical units but one moved faster other slower. Animations do count, so do change them to fit if you make this.

Also, imagine a little. Ranged units versus melee units. If you make them from a same base, take into account that they are not perfect. Melee vs Ranged, cons and pros. This is the way to balance your units.

Example is:

Ranged vs Ranged Caster.

Ranged has higher base damage and attack speed.
Ranged Caster has better damage type + Heal.

Melee vs Ranged

Melee has higher armor and hitpoints.
Ranged has obviously ranged attacks, higher damage and bigger movement speed.

Ideas like these will balance your map. Ranged will pick a fight and win in numbers, but fought equally they will lose from numbers of melee. Melee on the other hand will lose from Ranged Caster hence abilities that do stuff which affect them greatly (Think Firebolt). And while Casters may seem really OP and can win any fight, Ranged types versus caster provide constant damage outburst while Casters need mana and spell cooldown to do some serious damage. So Ranged beats Casters. There you go, balance. Just don't give Casters OP spells like Storm Bolt for kajillion damage and 10 decades of stun and all will be fine :p

Good luck.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.