Unit visibility

Xan_Kriegor

I can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
What sort of ways are there to manipulate a player's visibility of units? Obviously there's the spell Invisbility, but in maps like DotA they have certain effects that show up only to certain players.

What I would like to do is have something that shows a certain range away from the players' heroes. It'll be (de)activated via a chat command allowing the user to input a custom range, and then have a constant field around that unit to show the range. What I've been using so far has been a group of 8 dummy units with a small special effect model circling the unit so that it's fairly easy to see some range away (this is for things like knowing when something is in spell range). However, I'm worried that with multiple players the screen will get really cluttered with said units if everyone sees all of them.

Is there some way to hide units of yours from allies whom you have shared vision with? Or should I do away with sharing the players vision?

Solu9

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
You could use the item ability "Item Sight Range Bonus" and make it a unit ability with multiple levels.
When the player type in whatever as a chat you can set the level of the ability accordingly.

Xan_Kriegor

Reaction score
To clarify what I mean, I don't want to change how far the units can see. I want a graphical effect (such as spinning orbs out at x distance) to show where x distance away is, that only shows up for each player individually. Any ideas?

Xan_Kriegor

Reaction score
Yes, that's what I meant. This time I'll clarify with an example :p :
PlayerA's and PlayerB's heroes are standing next to each other. PlayerA says in chat "-range 500". There is now some kind of special effect showing PlayerA a circle of range 500 around his hero. PlayerA can see this circle, but PlayerB cannot. If PlayerB were to type "-range 200" then he would see a similar circle out to range 200 from his hero, but PlayerA would not be able to see his circle.

Optimally in this situation, PlayerA and PlayerB have allied vision of each other, but that's not a strict requirement. Is this do-able?

Xan_Kriegor

Reaction score

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
> entirely hidden even with 100% transparency
GetLocalPlayer works with unit height/scale as well. Just set the dummy height to something high. Or set the scale to 0. But if you're not experienced enough with GetLocalPlayer, try to avoid it as best as possible.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.