[Useless] Duplicating units in the Editor

Reaction score
I found something funny and quite weird in the Editor. It's probably useless, but someone might figure out what to do with it.

When you place multiple units of the same type, they are usually labeled:
Blood Mage 0012, Blood Mage 0013, Blood Mage 0014, etc.
However, notice that all 7 blood mages in this map have the same label: Blood Mage 0012.

View attachment Duplicate Units.w3x

How to reproduce this bug?

1. Open a blank map.
2. Place some unit, for example a Blood Mage.
3. Make a trigger that references to the Blood Mage (no matter what, it will not run anyway).
4. Place another random unit (for example Footman).
5. Select the Blood Mage and press Delete.
6. When asked if you really want to delete, click Cancel.
7. Select the Footman and delete it.
8. Press Ctrl+Z (Undo shortcut)
9. Press Ctrl+Z again.
10. Voila! Now you have two identical overlapping Blood Mages. Select one and move it aside to see they have the same editor label.

Edit: Actually it's much easier - you don't need the footman, just select the bloodmages, Delete -> Cancel -> Ctrl+Z and they double.

You can repeat the process, but this time select both BMs and try to delete them. When you double press Ctrl+Z later, you will have 4 BMs!

Now try to make each one of them do a different thing with a trigger and see the chaos that happens :)

This can be quite a hassle when you have your unit referenced in many triggers. It happened while I was making an RPG. I had to delete one of the duplicates and manually re-enable all triggers referencing to the other. That's why it is so much better to store your units into a variable :p

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
It actually stacks. If you attempt to delete 5 Blood Mages and stop, then delete 1 Footman, Ctrl+Z 6 times copies all 5 of the Blood Mages. LOL.

Jedi

Reaction score
This happened a few times, I double clicked and entered lots of action because of that.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.