Vikings vs Corruptors vs Void Rays

celerisk

When Zerg floweth, life is good
Reaction score
Somewhere over on the bnet forums, there was some talk on how Void Rays are way too strong.
Well, there was a link to this "combat simulator":
http://www.sinfulgaming.com/starcraft2/deathchart.php

Basically, you choose an attacking unit and a defender, how many of them and (or not) some upgrades.
Then you "fight"...

Anyway, I tried it out.
8 Vikings can be beaten by 4 Void Rays or 8 Corruptors.
8 Corruptors can be beaten by 9 Vikings or 3 Void Rays.
8 Void Rays can be beaten by 20 Corruptors or 24 Vikings.

Interesting theory.

My personal experience does not agree however.
As Zerg (what else? :p), Void Rays are only ever a problem if I don't have anything that can shoot air...
And, well, Vikings in large numbers are simply "gg". Impossible to take those out of the sky.

No idea where this "Void Rays are too strong" is coming from, but you may have some different experience?

YourFace

<span style="color:#9C9C9C;"><strong>Runner Up - T
Reaction score
20 vikings in the air vs 20 stalkers that blinked right under them. I think I can take them out of the sky!

Interesting simulator you have there.
Void Rays are super effective against corrupters, and cost twice as much as vikings.

celerisk

When Zerg floweth, life is good
Reaction score
Well, yes, obviously. Just like 1 single Hydralisk can take down several billions of Corruptors, assuming you live long enough to see the end.
But, let's keep this "air units".

INCINERATE

Reaction score
i disagree with this part

8 Vikings can be beaten by 4 Void Rays or 8 Corruptors.
8 Corruptors can be beaten by 9 Vikings or 3 Void Rays.
8 Void Rays can be beaten by 20 Corruptors or 24 Vikings.

this is only in a case where there is no micro involved. I am a terran player btw

really and truely 4 vikings can beat 7 void rays that dont have speed upgrade, because vikings are "slightly faster" than void rays , and vikings have alot more range, if you do a hit/retreat style when fighting void's it way in favour of the terran, because if the voids chase down the vikings, they risk loosing thier full charge, and if they don't chase, they will get sniped down.

however the Op'ness about void rays on terran( as thats why blizzard stated they nerfed it was because against terran it would hold them in thier base while the toss is free to expand).

this was before the patch however and voids are alot more balanced now... Void rays were overpowered, because they FORCED you to get viking. the marines got outranged when voids would shoot over cliffs,
The point is, Terrans cant always "rush vikings" where as the toss can go void rays as a staple build order no matter what. So when terrans did a 2 rax standard open vrs toss, they got completely contained in their base by 1 or 2 well micro'd void rays for a very long time, untill terran is able to get vikings to stop the over cliff harass . what void ray users would do is, come in charge up on refinerys, melt some marines fast, then retreat, recharge the shields, and then go back for some more ,rinise/repeat. That is why they were OP. it wasnt because terran could not counter it ( they always could) by rushing starport., it was the fact that they were Forced to go fast vikings to combat it, When marines Should be adaquate, but like i said, they got Outranged completely. so thats why the range nerf made things perfectly playable now.

now with the range nerf, marines can hit them, and marines in bunkers DONT GET outranged. So its good now.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
that battle emulator is pretty nice but has a few bugs (battlecruisers get EMP?)

and void rays > BC's even though the BC's are a higher tier AND cost more of each resource makes me think voids are still OP

SerraAvenger

Cuz I can
Reaction score
that battle emulator is pretty nice but has a few bugs (battlecruisers get EMP?)

and void rays > BC's even though the BC's are a higher tier AND cost more of each resource makes me think voids are still OP

Void rays are the perfect counter for massive units, it's their job.
Also BC are underpowered, if anything.

Daskunk

SC2 Forum MVP - TheSkunk #386
Reaction score
No idea where this "Void Rays are too strong" is coming from, but you may have some different experience?
Its because unless you know their coming a long way off its hard to counter them fast enough. (I mean more so then all units :p)

For most air, if you have a couple of units that can attack them (like marines, even though vikings are better AA in most cases) you can stall them and kill some of them while you get a counter. Void rays can too easily kill off your basic AA army, and then eat your whole army like candy before you can react. What really makes them OP is how they don't lose their charge when they switch targets. (it takes forever to lose their charge) As a poor example, if you leave one building unprotected they can power up to full. After its at full charge, a single void ray can kill 3-4 marines at least.

Needless to say, once you play enough to expect this from protoss players, it isn't that hard to counter.

Still, if you rush as fast as possible to get one void ray, it can really own some players. (Esp. zerg) In a 2's game, one player can keep the enemy busy, and then the other player comes in with some void rays - that works pretty good too. Past that - not so much. Some people think you can mass purely void rays to win a match. I see this often in two's. They allways get horribly owned by anything like stalkers if they try and do that.

And BTW: Battlecruisors are not week, its just nesscary to get Yomato Cannon. Cruisors with Yomato own void rays, so you need HT & Void rays. I actually find battlecruisors to be very powerfull against protoss, but idk about any other race.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.