Warcraft 3 + Physics system: Discussion

Reaction score
Mmmkay. So I need to make a physics system for my war3 map. It basically needs to account for speeds on varying terrains (coefficients of friction). Also need to figure out momentum and collisions... But that's not the problem at hand... The problem is, the physics system needs to be made in 3D lol. So far, I have a 2D system worked out, and its a bit crude, not very flexible. So I decided to scrap it and start over since I already needed to include the 3D aspect. So, what I was thinking, every unit basically has crow form... As they move I calculate the distance they moved and divide it by the time taken to get V. Instead of calculating acceleration or something... I was thinking we just have v stored and calculate how much distance the unit moves on its own rather than with the aid of the physics system. We then just add the velocities together and voila we have velocity. (probably going to break it down into both X and Y components.) The problem is, do you think it would be easier to simply add another Z component? or calculate the angle of the incline of the jump at which he takes off, resolving x and y into a v parallel, and then just have him proceed up at v parallel, of course gravity taking effect, need a constant value for gravity converted to War3 terms as well lol. So, either we do that or we just calculate change in terrain height, and then just subtract and divide by time to get z vel. Continuously add Z-Vel and take away gravity deccel? ALSO, I need to be able to disallow the unit from walking in air XD because then he would be acceling in air which would be very cheap... any ideas/comments/suggestions?

CaptDeath

Reaction score
look up combat zone on the hive workshop its unprotected Best physics system ever in wc3 he lets people take and use it all they please

CaptDeath

Reaction score
well they Combat zone im talking about is prone to server splits theres no way you can have physics there is in CZ just that it gets laggay and will Split every now and again

CaptDeath

Reaction score
not bad for one player :p
it also has projectile system seperate from wciii dmg i put peasents in i couldnt A run them over or B blow them up with a nuke[yes theres a nuke]

Curo

Why am I still playing this game...?
Reaction score
I think you are looking too deep in WC3...it's not meant to have physics. However, I suggest looking at the map MaD Balls Arena. It has jumping, sliding, and rolling, with acceleration as well as the impact of slopes/hills and gravity.

FhelZone

Have a drink of a nice cold mellowberry juice!
Reaction score
Warcraft does support physics. Though they never made a GUI for the physics part. You could manualy code it with piles of JASS codes and also if and thens and also x and y locations and Front, Back, Left and Right. Directions does seem vital o_O Just use variables to store the things you want like velocity, speed, direction.

Reaction score
hmmm. Well, for my maps purposes I simply need for the unit to accelerate, as if skating on ice. That is what my current physics system supports, however, I would like to make a physics system in which it supports sliding + jumping(3 Dimensions) + Collisions(I have a make-shift ver of this) and that's it. It wouldnt really be that hard to make, its just I was wondering what would be easier to make

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
I think you are looking too deep in WC3...it's not meant to have physics. However, I suggest looking at the map MaD Balls Arena. It has jumping, sliding, and rolling, with acceleration as well as the impact of slopes/hills and gravity.
Did you read this ;) ?

Reaction score
Mmmmh. I did, couldn't find it. That + I assume it's a protected map + I would want to build my own physics system that caters to my own needs lol.

Cookiemaster

Reaction score
Even though it sounds awesome to make a 3D physics system, I suggest you keep it with 2D.

In the first place, it's hard to see how high something is unless fucking around with the camera.

Second, 3D would probably lagg. HARD.

Reaction score
*has rubbish computer* =( Er~ Thanks for sources and examples =P I will take a look at em and begin work when I have the time.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.