Warcraft Causes Virus? IMPORTANT

Squishinator

Reaction score
Is it POSSIBLE for a downloaded custom warcraft map to have a virus? It seems possible. Can warcraft in any way give your computer a virus? I have noticed that the same things that are happening and that have happened to my computer over the years have all stared by my starting warcraft and then all of the sudden it starts acting funny and it doesnt start up again and the computer starts to crash. Then i have to spend money to bring it in. This is kind of urgent. Thanks in advance.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
No, in your case the chances are that the virus was downloaded from something related to something else, and it was a coincidence that it happened after you played warcraft. Viruses must be either DLL or EXE format really, and neither of those can be sent over the download feature of War3, let alone even added into a map.

In short: No, your viruses aren't from Warcraft 3. They might be from some open ports or something, but I would recommend getting a virus scanner if you don't already have one.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
Aren't world editor and warcraft III both .EXE?

but they arent what is downloaded, the maps are .w3x. the .exe filetype is what almost all programs use... but it should be safe since it's installed from the wc3 cd (which if it had a virus, blizzard would have been in big trouble...)

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
Not true. I downloaded a tech wars You just need to delete the map and if you have hijack this, you can delete any virus already on your computer. I DON'T RECOMMEND USING HIJACK THIS BECAUSE IT CAN DELETE EVERYTHING ON YOUR COMPUTER INCLUDING STARTUP PROGRAMS AND WINDOWS. I SUGGEST USING ANTI VIRUS OR SO SINCE ITS MORE SAFE. YOU MAY NEED TO BUY A NEW COMPUTER BECAUSE YOUR COMPUTER WON'T TURN ON OR WORK AT ALL!

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
WRONG as can be! There is NOTHING you can do to your computer via a program inside windows that can make it so that kind of stuff happens. I'm not even sure if there is stuff that will do that in the bios settings...
I'm sorry, but if you don't know the answer for sure, please don't post in question topics. You may make the person asking do something they shouldn't, and them regret it.

I am positive that you can not download a virus from warcraft 3, trust me. It's not possible, or blizzard would be in loads of trouble more than likely over it...

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
it would be possibly if you downloaded the map from somewhere that wasnt via wc3.. and then ran it instead of opening it with wc3... but that is rather unlikely and not a good idea

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
Hijack this was normally a program used by the goverment and by spy's so yes it can delete everything on your computer. YUou can see the startup programs and the windows programs. If you don't elive me, get it, install it and then use system scan only an look at the programs that show up. Don't click anything because you could click the wrong thing and delete.

On Topic: I don't know how it happend but I downloaded tech wars from battle.net and I couldn't play games because I would always get disconnected and another one changed all the race names to kirby's made from letters.

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
Not a crash. Every game on b.net that I've always played. I didn't even dl any others and the ones that worked before, stopped working.

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
In Anime Fight, Sepiroth can cast a meteor. When he starts casting, the code is so messed up that the map crashes.

quraji

zap
Reaction score
Hijack this was normally a program used by the goverment and by spy's so yes it can delete everything on your computer. YUou can see the startup programs and the windows programs.

I haven't laughed so hard in a good time, thanks.

Squish, there is no way you can get malware from downloading a map, especially via b.net.
IF it were linked to you getting the map, you may have mistakenly downloaded an exe that was said to be a map, then just ran it without checking. I doubt this though, more than likely it is unrelated. It probably isn't even a virus.

As a general rule, don't download from sites you don't know. Make sure you know what you're downloading. And make sure you confirm it before you open/run it.
Also, don't make system changes without knowing exactly what you're doing.
Also, don't repeatedly pay a computer store or whatever to fix what is probably an easy fix. Ask them what was wrong, and prevent it or fix it yourself in the future.

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
It actually is true. It was made to screw up people's computer, delete iruse and to be able to delete information on other people's computers permanently.

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
So you don't want me to warn people about not usingn this program wisely? I don't want people telling me that HiJack this screwed up my computer.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So you don't want me to warn people about not usingn this program wisely? I don't want people telling me that HiJack this screwed up my computer.

It's highly unlikely though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.