Campaign Warcraft IV: The New Age - |Map of the Week #10|

Status
Not open for further replies.

wc3shady

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Oh....I thought we were calling them paths instead of trees, so that confused me a bit...but now I see you meant tech tree.

I dig the paths, but Ancient of Living Roots sounds like an ability and a unit combo gone wrong. How about Ancient of Nature? Or Ancient of Cenarius?

Have you finalized what the added units will be?

Also, glad to be a part of the beta testing.

Yeah my bad about the trees thing I'll keep it to paths.

Yeah I wasn't sure about the name "Living Roots". I thought of nature, but thats a bit too bland. Ancient of Cenarius is good, but too specific. Oh! I know, how about "Ancient of the Grove", hm?

I have barely touched the units - So far all I have is the Druid of the Fang/Elude guy

Nature -

T1: Nothing Yet
T2: Druid of the Fang
T3: Nothing Yet

Moonlight -

T1: Sentinel? (Elude)
T2: Nothing
T3: "

kingbdogz

The Edge of Eternity is upon us.
Reaction score
EDIT - Quick Update, just finished all of the stats for all Undead units, about to add their abilities and heroes. This is all within one night so by the end of the week I will start using the object editor and play with the melee a bit. If all goes well and if I am not delayed (by need of help probably for some hero ability, or extreme balancing needs or something like that), except a release date for the first melee map by some time mid-February. (BETA Melee Map. Start signing up for a BETA spot!)

Be prepared for endless nights of balancing and hard work :D Trust me I'm going through it now, it's quite hard to balance 4 races. Anyway I would LOVE to be a Beta Tester, can I by any chance? :)

captainrads

Reaction score
Yeah I wasn't sure about the name "Living Roots". I thought of nature, but thats a bit too bland. Ancient of Cenarius is good, but too specific. Oh! I know, how about "Ancient of the Grove", hm?
Yes

I have barely touched the units - So far all I have is the Druid of the Fang/Elude guy

Nature -

T1: Nothing Yet
T2: Druid of the Fang
T3: Nothing Yet

Moonlight -

T1: Sentinel? (Elude)
T2: Nothing
T3: "

Be careful with Sentinel since that's what Tyrande's forces were called(I think), but I suppose you could still use it...or maybe call it a Sentry?

For the nature path, how about a treant caster or something? It might look like this:
Enchanted Foliage(that's a shitty name) : Has the Spore ability(like parasite with treants?). Can learn Nature's Call(Increase movement speed and hp regen) and Overgrowth(AOE cast, slows all units caught in it).
And maybe something like this:
Forest Warrior: Harassing treant melee unit, has the Disguise ability which allows it to look exactly like a tree. Can also learn Re-Seed, which allows it to become a seed when it dies. Seeds may be picked up and replanted, reincarnating the unit.(That's iffy, things could get imbalanced, you might just wanna have it be a long phoenix egg-type ability...or not use it...but then again, if seeds were like items and picked up by enemies...)

And maybe something like this for moonlight:
Priestess of Elune: Has the Stargazer ability(Reveals all nearby invisible units/turns time of day to night). Can learn Moon Beam(Target AOE healing, channeled) and Goddess Call(Increase attack speed and damage?)
If you were to add a melee unit:
Moondancer: Medium melee unit with evasion. Uses Crescent Blades as weapons, which have a chance to reflect moonlight into an enemy's eyes if attacking at night, either stunning them or making them dizzy.(it would be sort of a Demon Hunter looking thing...and since Illidan left the Night Elves, they won't have a Demon Hunter anymore)

wc3shady

Reaction score
Be careful with Sentinel since that's what Tyrande's forces were called(I think), but I suppose you could still use it...or maybe call it a Sentry?

Sentry works.

For the nature path, how about a treant caster or something? It might look like this:
Enchanted Foliage(that's a shitty name) : Has the Spore ability(like parasite with treants?). Can learn Nature's Call(Increase movement speed and hp regen) and Overgrowth(AOE cast, slows all units caught in it).
And maybe something like this:
Forest Warrior: Harassing treant melee unit, has the Disguise ability which allows it to look exactly like a tree. Can also learn Re-Seed, which allows it to become a seed when it dies. Seeds may be picked up and replanted, reincarnating the unit.(That's iffy, things could get imbalanced, you might just wanna have it be a long phoenix egg-type ability...or not use it...but then again, if seeds were like items and picked up by enemies...)

I really like the treant caster idea, and it gave me an idea. (Not big on forest warrior though... one treant unit is enough) so for the Treant Caster...

Enchanted Growth -

(Initial Ability) Enchant - AoE; Channels a group of trees, and after 6 seconds raises them as Treants. These treants last for a minute, or until the Enchanted Growth dies. Now, the Enchanted Growth must remain idle while the treants are up. If the Enchanted Growth moves, the treants disappear. (I made the treants very limited so it isn't too imba for a unit ability)

(1st Learned Ability) Herbal Shield - Creates a shield around the Enchanted Growth, dealing damage to any Treants the Enchanted Growth may have summoned and not damaging the Enchanted Growth. Activated; Drains mana.

(2nd Learned Ability) Overgrowth - Passive; decreases the cast time of Enchant to 3 seconds and increases the duration of the Treants to 2 minutes.

(the unit seems a little hero-like, but I don't know, I like it)

And maybe something like this for moonlight:
Priestess of Elune: Has the Stargazer ability(Reveals all nearby invisible units/turns time of day to night). Can learn Moon Beam(Target AOE healing, channeled) and Goddess Call(Increase attack speed and damage?)
If you were to add a melee unit:
Moondancer: Medium melee unit with evasion. Uses Crescent Blades as weapons, which have a chance to reflect moonlight into an enemy's eyes if attacking at night, either stunning them or making them dizzy.(it would be sort of a Demon Hunter looking thing...and since Illidan left the Night Elves, they won't have a Demon Hunter anymore)

Hmm something about the Priestess of Elune just seems off.
And Illidan wasn't the only Demon Hunter, just the only famous one.

But, Moondancer gave me an idea for the unit.

Crescent Warrior -

Crescent Shield - Spins Crescent Blades in circle, becomes unable to move, and returns 50% of all piercing damage. Also deals 10 damage per second to any unit in front of them.

This will be a very good counter if the enemy doesn't have any heroes or magic-using classing, or siege for that matter.

EDIT Missed your post kingbdogz, of course your going to be a beta tester!

captainrads

Reaction score
Enchanted Growth -

(Initial Ability) Enchant - AoE; Channels a group of trees, and after 6 seconds raises them as Treants. These treants last for a minute, or until the Enchanted Growth dies. Now, the Enchanted Growth must remain idle while the treants are up. If the Enchanted Growth moves, the treants disappear. (I made the treants very limited so it isn't too imba for a unit ability)

(1st Learned Ability) Herbal Shield - Creates a shield around the Enchanted Growth, dealing damage to any Treants the Enchanted Growth may have summoned and not damaging the Enchanted Growth. Activated; Drains mana.

(2nd Learned Ability) Overgrowth - Passive; decreases the cast time of Enchant to 3 seconds and increases the duration of the Treants to 2 minutes.

(the unit seems a little hero-like, but I don't know, I like it)
Herbal Shield does damage to its own summons? That doesn't make any sense...unless its like a reverse Big Bad Voodoo(except with mana shield)? If that's what it is...it doesn't seem very useful. The treants are meat shields already, so why would the caster need protection? I say make Overgrowth the 1st skill and make a second skill which makes the treants themselves stronger.

As for the summoning spell, will it be continuously channeled to keep the treants alive? If so, it won't be able to cast other spells without interrupting the channel. You might want to make his other skills auras...unless you can activate other spells while channeling others...I know you can do that with Windwalk and Tornado, maybe its a skill property. If the skill isn't channeled, and if possible, have the caster automatically hold position after casting so it doesn't accidentally move to attack or something.

Hmm something about the Priestess of Elune just seems off.
Well, what's wrong with it? I can't fix it if I don't know what's wrong with it.

But, Moondancer gave me an idea for the unit.

Crescent Warrior -

Crescent Shield - Spins Crescent Blades in circle, becomes unable to move, and returns 50% of all piercing damage. Also deals 10 damage per second to any unit in front of them.

This will be a very good counter if the enemy doesn't have any heroes or magic-using classing, or siege for that matter.
I like it, but how about instead of returning 50% of damage, it just parrys all damage away from it, some back to source, others in random directions which may hit any unit, including friendlies. For the ability animation though, will it be a bladestorm looking thing or will it just be in front of the unit?

EDIT: Congrats on Map of the Week dude...to both you and King...

wc3shady

Reaction score
Thanks for Map of the Week!

Herbal Shield does damage to its own summons? That doesn't make any sense...unless its like a reverse Big Bad Voodoo(except with mana shield)? If that's what it is...it doesn't seem very useful. The treants are meat shields already, so why would the caster need protection? I say make Overgrowth the 1st skill and make a second skill which makes the treants themselves stronger.

Ok, so when the Enchanted Growth has Treants up, it can't move or anything, so if the Treants can't properly defend it, the Enchanted Growth is easy pickings. But, Herbal Shield redirects all of the Enchanted Growth's damage to the Treants, so the Treants don't have to worry about protecting the Enchanted Growth too much.

Well, what's wrong with it? I can't fix it if I don't know what's wrong with it.

It's abilities don't have a lot of synergy, and turning night to day and vice versa is a bit imba. It doesn't make much sense with the other Moonlight units (Sentry = Assassin, can stun-lock + pick off guys like casters so the Crescent Warriors don't have to worry about that, Crescent Warrior = counter ranged and melee; I need a caster unit to help counter with them. You know, I need a Tier 3 anti hero caster) So yeah Tier 3 anti hero caster. I'll think on it too but I'm sort of in a brainfart mood.

I like it, but how about instead of returning 50% of damage, it just parrys all damage away from it, some back to source, others in random directions which may hit any unit, including friendlies. For the ability animation though, will it be a bladestorm looking thing or will it just be in front of the unit?

I want all the 50% damage to return to the attacker (only piercing attacks though, so its anti ranger). It won't be bladestorm, the unit will spin his blades in front of him only (damaging all units front of him, for the anti melee). This, along with the other moonlight units, will provide good blockades.

captainrads

Reaction score
Ok, so when the Enchanted Growth has Treants up, it can't move or anything, so if the Treants can't properly defend it, the Enchanted Growth is easy pickings. But, Herbal Shield redirects all of the Enchanted Growth's damage to the Treants, so the Treants don't have to worry about protecting the Enchanted Growth too much.
True, true...I guess if the tree caster can't move it would be an easy target for rangers. Alright, I suppose that makes sense, but you didn't answer my channeling question.

It's abilities don't have a lot of synergy, and turning night to day and vice versa is a bit imba. It doesn't make much sense with the other Moonlight units (Sentry = Assassin, can stun-lock + pick off guys like casters so the Crescent Warriors don't have to worry about that, Crescent Warrior = counter ranged and melee; I need a caster unit to help counter with them. You know, I need a Tier 3 anti hero caster) So yeah Tier 3 anti hero caster. I'll think on it too but I'm sort of in a brainfart mood.

Ok, how about something like this:
Eternal Guardian: Ancient guardian of the Well of Eternity, adept at using moonlit well magic. Has the Well Spring ability, which causes a geyser to burst forth from the ground at a target point, healing all nearby units with enchanted water. Can learn Floodgates(Crushing wave sort of thing, but its enchanted well water that deals extra damage to summons and burns mana) and Moon Shield(spell immunity shield?).

Its kinda shaky, but I'm really tired and should be studying for my SAT's so I think its not bad considering.

I want all the 50% damage to return to the attacker (only piercing attacks though, so its anti ranger). It won't be bladestorm, the unit will spin his blades in front of him only (damaging all units front of him, for the anti melee). This, along with the other moonlight units, will provide good blockades.
While it is functional, its also a lot like defend. Having shit flying everywhere would mix things up a bit.

Say, I got an idea...what if there was a unit(not necessarily NE) that had an ability called Impact or something, and its damage was strengthened by being damaged. The more damage built up on it, the more powerful it becomes. Healing wouldn't diminish the amount of damage on it, but after awhile the damage level would go down. Maybe it could be an upgrade to the Mountain Giant or something?

kingbdogz

Reaction score
Congratz on the Map of the Week dude, you really deserved it! :thup: Is there anyway I can help you? Anything your not sure about, ideas, units, buildings, mechanics, story, anything? Haven't really helped you much lately, got caught up with my own project :p

wc3shady

Reaction score
True, true...I guess if the tree caster can't move it would be an easy target for rangers. Alright, I suppose that makes sense, but you didn't answer my channeling question.

Oh yeah guess I was typing too fast lol but the Enchanted Growth has to channel the Treants to keep them alive.

Ok, how about something like this:
Eternal Guardian: Ancient guardian of the Well of Eternity, adept at using moonlit well magic. Has the Well Spring ability, which causes a geyser to burst forth from the ground at a target point, healing all nearby units with enchanted water. Can learn Floodgates(Crushing wave sort of thing, but its enchanted well water that deals extra damage to summons and burns mana) and Moon Shield(spell immunity shield?).

Its kinda shaky, but I'm really tired and should be studying for my SAT's so I think its not bad considering.

I sort of like it, the name and a more AoE type of anti-hero. I only have a few suggestions: for Well Spring, I'm going to change it to Everspring, and what it does is make a spring that can use drain mana. For every bit of mana drained it heals all units around it. Floodgates I like, and I like the name, but it doesn't seem quite right for the ability, so I'm going to call it "Eternal Aqueduct" and sparkling water is going to spew out of the ground for the animation. Moon Shield sounds good.

(Thanks!!)

While it is functional, its also a lot like defend. Having shit flying everywhere would mix things up a bit.

Say, I got an idea...what if there was a unit(not necessarily NE) that had an ability called Impact or something, and its damage was strengthened by being damaged. The more damage built up on it, the more powerful it becomes. Healing wouldn't diminish the amount of damage on it, but after awhile the damage level would go down. Maybe it could be an upgrade to the Mountain Giant or something?

It is a lot like defend, but thats only in the fact that it defends against casters. These guys can't move, deal damage against the ranged units, and even deal damage to melee ranged units.

Oh I like that Impact ability, I'll add it to the (Orc) Barbarian (I decided thats what the Savage will upgrade to)

Congratz on the Map of the Week dude, you really deserved it! Is there anyway I can help you? Anything your not sure about, ideas, units, buildings, mechanics, story, anything? Haven't really helped you much lately, got caught up with my own project

Thanks a lot man, you too, but hey for help jump right into me and captainrads conversation. It's cool man, I haven't helped you either lately. Comment on any idea you have, and anything YOU think needs changing. It's what you guys think that's going to make this project (melee-wise).

Congratulations wc3shady!

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Thanks!

kingbdogz

Reaction score
Thanks a lot man, you too, but hey for help jump right into me and captainrads conversation. It's cool man, I haven't helped you either lately. Comment on any idea you have, and anything YOU think needs changing. It's what you guys think that's going to make this project (melee-wise).

I've been trying but I'm lost on what your doing atm. What are you discussing atm in a quick summery?

captainrads

Reaction score
Alright...we've got orc covered, and we've done quite a bit for NE...what else do you need as far as ideas go?

EDIT: Hey, you remember that lightning elemental thing for the orcs? I thought of a slightly more descriptive name: Perpetual Dynamo. Its still got the "continuing" idea of it, but dynamo makes it sound more like a lightning elemental...just a thought though...does the Infinite part of it mean anything?

wc3shady

Reaction score
Alright...we've got orc covered, and we've done quite a bit for NE...what else do you need as far as ideas go?

EDIT: Hey, you remember that lightning elemental thing for the orcs? I thought of a slightly more descriptive name: Perpetual Dynamo. Its still got the "continuing" idea of it, but dynamo makes it sound more like a lightning elemental...just a thought though...does the Infinite part of it mean anything?

Hey, yeah I remember the lightning elemental. The infinite was there because I was thinking of making it sort of a mass-able unit that can recreate itself. But, I like Perpetual Dynamo more, its more "warcraftish".

Ok so for kingbdogz and whoevers left... let me gather my ideas for the NE/Orcs

Orcs
(Special Upgrades)
Primal Adherence -->

Velocimancer (Unit) --> New caster, its a troll riding a raptor. It's based around controlling the raptor so it uses sonic sounds. (Thats all I have, I need ability ideas)

Primal Keep (Building) --> New Building. Trains a T1 and T3 unit.
Savage (T1 Unit) --> Low health, high damage, high regeneration. Its an Orc that can upgrade to a Barbarian (same as the Savage, except with higher stats and an ability called Furor [captainrads Impact ability idea] which is a passive ability and whenever the Barbarian is hit he has a chance to increase attack damage)
Devilsaur (T3 Unit) --> Giant T-Rex with amazing stats (very expensive), cleaving attacks, and can learn an ability that makes it trample through units. Can garrison Troll Headhunters/Troll Berserkers on it's back.

Elemental Adherence -->

Stone Warder (Unit) --> New caster unit, sort of a battle mage that can control the fight (Tauren; can use abilities that block pathways and trap units and the such)

Elemental Rift (Building) --> New building. Trains a T1 and T3 Unit.
Perpetual Dynamo --> A weak unit with low health and regeneration, with medium health. However, it can use abilities to multiply rather quickly. (Good fodder, they're lightning elementals)
Magma Goliath --> Very strong, tough unit with decent damage. Good at AoEing, has an ability that makes the magma elemental spread out, sort of like play dough when you smush it, and then in this "smushed" form it deals damage per second to all units around it, and heals itself for all damage dealt. I'm thinking maybe it should also have perm immolation and taunt, ideas?

Night Elves

Right now, its late, so I will add details later.

captainrads

Reaction score
Velocimancer (Unit) --> New caster, its a troll riding a raptor. It's based around controlling the raptor so it uses sonic sounds. (Thats all I have, I need ability ideas)
I suggested this awhile back:
Velociraptor: Primal sound-based caster, has the Primal Screech ability(Cone dmg and slow effect). Can learn Beastly Roar(Scares all nearby units, increasing their movement speed) and Velociblast(The Velociraptor rushes through enemies, causing a sonic boom which causes damage and knockback).

I'm thinking maybe it should also have perm immolation and taunt, ideas?
Yeah, Permanent Immolation sounds good, but the Mountain Giant already has taunt, you might wanna do something different. You could do a move called Fear(name?), which makes units run away(basically the opposite of Taunt). Maybe add a move where the Golliath smashes a unit into the ground, making it stuck for a long time, call it...Crush? Actually, that sounds like a more Earth-based ability. Hmm...how about the Golliath has move called Thermal Expansion where it grows 125% its normal size, and probably gains an attack bonus.

wc3shady

Reaction score
I suggested this awhile back:
Velociraptor: Primal sound-based caster, has the Primal Screech ability(Cone dmg and slow effect). Can learn Beastly Roar(Scares all nearby units, increasing their movement speed) and Velociblast(The Velociraptor rushes through enemies, causing a sonic boom which causes damage and knockback).

Oh right I forgot you had abilities on this idea.

I like it, sort of a crowd control unit. It would be good if it was nimble. Alright so with your ideas here is what I have...

Velocimancer:

- Rip (Initial): Unit Targeted; deals periodic damage to a target unit
- Velocity (Learn): Activated; when the Velocimancer is ordered to move somewhere, it jumps there (limited jumping length). Although, it tires out the Velocimancer and his raptor, draining his mana.
- Screech (Learn): Area Targeted; Deals low damage in an AoE around the Velocimancer and reduces the armor of the enemies in the AoE.

EDIT I redid the abilities.

kingbdogz

Reaction score
Oh right I forgot you had abilities on this idea.

I like it, sort of a crowd control unit. It would be good if it was nimble. Alright so with your ideas here is what I have...

Velocimancer:

- Rip (Initial): Unit Targeted; deals periodic damage to a target unit
- Velocity (Learn): Activated; when the Velocimancer is ordered to move somewhere, it jumps there (limited jumping length). Although, it tires out the Velocimancer and his raptor, draining his mana.
- Screech (Learn): Area Targeted; Deals low damage in an AoE around the Velocimancer and reduces the armor of the enemies in the AoE.

EDIT I redid the abilities.

I like the ability's but I think Velocity should be targeted and not activated because if you jump and then you accidently click somewhere near it quickly it will waste mana and a jump. With targeted at least you can plan it out carefully.

captainrads

Reaction score
I like the ability's but I think Velocity should be targeted and not activated because if you jump and then you accidently click somewhere near it quickly it will waste mana and a jump. With targeted at least you can plan it out carefully.
I agree, either that or the amount of mana used is dependent on the distance covered, and it doesn't jump unless it is ordered to move greater than a certain distance away.

wc3shady

Reaction score
I agree, either that or the amount of mana used is dependent on the distance covered, and it doesn't jump unless it is ordered to move greater than a certain distance away.

I like captainrads idea. But, the Undead Scourge's unit the Witch Elf already has a point targeted jump, called Leap.

captainrads

Reaction score
I like captainrads idea. But, the Undead Scourge's unit the Witch Elf already has a point targeted jump, called Leap.
A Witch Elf that can leap? Seems like it should be on a broom or something...but then again, that's horribly cliched.

wc3shady

Reaction score
A Witch Elf that can leap? Seems like it should be on a broom or something...but then again, that's horribly cliched.

It's not harry potter. Anyways... so for night elves let me think... Moonlight path is completed, and natural path needs a new tier 1 unit. I'm thinking a sort of hit-and-run unit based on siege. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.