Where to start?

Sil3nt

SUP?
Reaction score
Well I've been wanting to learn how to make cool and smooth looking sites, because I want to prepare my skills to make myself a portfolio in the future. However, my skills and knowledge in this area are very limited.

I am wanting to learn how to create something like this
http://www.mullerphoto.com/

I couldn't remember the site I was thinking of, but that would do. You know those portfolio's where you click on a picture and the layout changes by sliding the objects around? Well, If I find one like it, I'll edit this post.

What progamming language is used to create this kind of stuff? Java? Flash? Is flash even a language? What is it? Is there a difference?

If anyone has a complete beginner's tutorial on how to create a site like this it would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

edit- If it helps, I have access to Adobe Dreamweaver

Sil3nt

SUP?
Reaction score
Is flash a language itself, or is it a 'type' of language? I'm just asking because Java seems similar to flash..but yeah..iono what I'm talking about.

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
Flash is the program... the program includes various things: graphics, animations, scripting.

The script used by Flash is Actionscript. Java is not similar to Flash. He said learn flash as in learn how to use the entire program, including scripting, because you will not manage to make a website like that only with Actionscript. However, I do not recommend making flash websites.

Deathcom3s

Reaction score
Note that Java and Javascript are two completely different things. Java is developed by Sun Microsystems, and is based on C++. Javascript is a language, and I'm sure you mean Javascript.

But yeah, you'll need to know a lot about flash if you want to do something like.

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
No, is not Flash. That website is highly Javascript enhanced. I can say that from the incredible lag :p.

You can always find out if something is a flash by right-clicking it. If the menu that appears has some unusual options, the it's a Flash.

duyen

Reaction score
Note that Java and Javascript are two completely different things. Java is developed by Sun Microsystems, and is based on C++. Javascript is a language, and I'm sure you mean Javascript.

But yeah, you'll need to know a lot about flash if you want to do something like.

Java is also a language...

JavaScript's official name is ECMAScript.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
> JavaScript's official name is ECMAScript.
Well...not really. JavaScript is a (very famous) dialect of ECMAScript and so is ActionScript.

duyen

Reaction score
> JavaScript's official name is ECMAScript.
Well...not really. JavaScript is a (very famous) dialect of ECMAScript and so is ActionScript.

World Wide Web Schools said:
The Real Name is ECMAScript

JavaScript's official name is "ECMAScript". The standard is developed and maintained by the ECMA organisation.

ECMA-262 is the official JavaScript standard. The standard is based on JavaScript (Netscape) and JScript (Microsoft).

The language was invented by Brendan Eich at Netscape (with Navigator 2.0), and has appeared in all Netscape and Microsoft browsers since 1996.

The development of ECMA-262 started in 1996, and the first edition of was adopted by the ECMA General Assembly in June 1997.

The standard was approved as an international ISO (ISO/IEC 16262) standard in 1998.

The development of the standard is still in progress.

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
According to Wiki, it's a dialect
ECMAScript is a scripting language, standardized by Ecma International in the ECMA-262 specification. The language is widely used on the web, and is often erroneously referred to as JavaScript or JScript, after two major dialects of the specification.

ECMAScript dialects

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
> World Wide Web Schools
You'll really get far learning from that site. :rolleyes:

Here's the deal - there are three scripting languages often referred to as JavaScript: JavaScript, ECMAScript and JScript.
At their latest versions, they have the same, standardized syntax (ECMA-262) and are overall quite similar. ECMAScript is the base, "vanilla" thing while JavaScript (used by Firefox) and JScript (used by IE) aim to stay compatible with it while adding a couple more features - thus making them dialects of ECMAScript.
Truth to be told, JavaScript and JScript were created before ECMAScript - ECMAScript was indeed just a new name for JavaScript/JScript when they got standardized, but things changed since then.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.