Which of these two televisions?

Penguin-

Reaction score
I think I've narrowed down my choice for my TV for when I move to my new flat next month.

I don't know an awful lot about TV's so bearing that in mind, here is my analysis.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/samsung-series-5-ue40eh5000-full-hd-40-led-tv-12350447-pdt.html
PROS: FULL HD
CONS: LED

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/panasonic-viera-tx-p42x50b-hd-ready-42-plasma-tv-12544503-pdt.html

PROS: PLASMA, SD CARD, BIGGER, CHEAPER
CONS: NOT FULL HD

If someone has any ideas about a better TV for a roughly similar price do let me know.
Things I am looking for:
Must come with HD Freeview (not just standard Freeview)
Must have USB slot

Should I be worried a TV is not full HD? I don't want to have to replace it in the next 5 years.

My understanding is that when TV's get over a certain size plasma is much better than LED for visual quality.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
I've heard that plasma TVs can give "Screen Reflection" Well, that kinda sucks, really

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont know much about TV's (i dont own any) but i have heard numerous times that plasma tv's arent very good for a single reason:
After a certain time showing the same image the colors get "burned" into the screen. For example if you have the news running very often and for a long time the smalle bar at the bottom which show some news as text is getting burned into the screen and when you switch to anything else you see a silouette of that bar and it is irrepairable.
I dont know for sure if this is true though.

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
IMO Plasma is at the very bottom. Consumes a ****-ton of power, becomes really hot (gets uncomfortable being in the same room as a plasma TV after a while, unless you got air conditioning nearby), and yeah colors can get burned.

And you should get a Full HD TV, don't invest in a 720p TV.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
LED is far better than plasma. Fuck, CRT is about better than plasma.

Penguin-

Reaction score
Oh okay, great. Guess I was misinformed about plasmas being top of the range. Looks like the Full HD LED it is!

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Did some guy at a AV store tell you that?

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
plasma is at the bottom, but LED usually isn't worth it unless it has local dimming - at least not in terms of image quality, it will still consume less power.. but the image is better on a regular LCD than a LED display that is edge-lit by LED's

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.