World Editor Problems

ShadowSnipe4

Reaction score
So, here's my problem:
For some reason in the world editor object editor some of the models are missing skins. They work when I use the default but when I go to art-Model File and try to scroll through them, doodads in particular it shows up as a white, unskinned model. (Yes, they stay this way when I try to place them) The thing is, I know that the skins are installed correctly because the default objects using the skins still show up fine. This is also the case for some of the models themselves, they don't show up in the preview and when I try to place them I get the checkered box and a "whatever".mdx not found.

It's rather frustrating when I have to go and copy/paste doodads to get a variation of the standard models that have the problem and I was wondering if this event has precedence and possibly a cure. Any help/attempted help is much appreciated.

werasd

Reaction score
First of all... doodads (trees for example) can't be used as unit model files... they don't have their skin, so they remain white.
Are you using custom models? If so, the checkered box and the ".mdx not found" error is because of that. You're putting something wrong in the path, or you haven't just restarted your editor. Everytime you import a new custom model, you DO have to close and open the World Editor again.

ShadowSnipe4

Reaction score
Well, by model file I meant they couldn't even be used as a doodad. And it's the 'standard' non-imported ones that are giving me grief, my imported ones work fine. Here's a screenshot illustrating what I mean.

Problem-1.jpg

werasd

Reaction score
wow... you have a serious problem in there, i guess. Did you try to restart the editor?

ShadowSnipe4

Reaction score
Indeed I have, it's been like that for a week or so now. (Since I started getting back into mapping) I may wind up having to reinstall wc3 to see if that fixes the problem but I figured I'd give the community a shot for solutions first.

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
As far as I know, that is just the behavior of trees. Do any models other than trees have this problem?

Weep

Godspeed to the sound of the pounding
Reaction score
Well, by model file I meant they couldn't even be used as a doodad.
Same problem that werasd mentioned with units: the model file for some objects (particularly trees and mushroom-trees) don't have the skin specified. They expect to be used as destructables, which have an Art - Replaceable Texture File value, so that one model can be used with multiple skins for variation. If used in any other way, they will appear white, like you found.

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.