Tutorial World Editor starting tips

Dakho

()[o__o]()
Reaction score
Please note this is a tutorial for people just starting to use the editor, or those who aren't very comfortable with it.

1. Basic Hotkeys
To make things go a lot smoother, you're going to have to know some hotkeys.

A - Show/Hide Pallete
U - Unit Palette
T - Terrain Palette
R - Region Palette
D - Doodad Palette
M - Camera Palette

Ctrl+M - Show/Hide Cameras
Crtl+R - Show/Hide Regions

Ctrl+Scroll - removed the black mask over your map when zooming out.

V - Ingame view.
C - Game Camera
F - Show Fog
K - Show Sky
P - Show Pathing
Ctrl+C - Copy
Ctrl+V - Paste
Those are some of the most commonly used hotkeys.

2. This isn't a big section, but the Window Tab. I've seen so many people do this. When taking a screenshot got to the Window Tab at the top of the screen. Click off Minimap and Previewer, leaving you an open screen, and screenshot it up!
Also, using this tab you can go to recent maps. This is useful if your copying something from one map to another

3. (Very Very) Basic Triggering. If you're making a map, and you don't want starting units (starting town hall and 5 workers, not any other units), then go to the Trigger Editor and find Melee Game - Create Starting Units. Delete that.
Now, if you want to not have a victory condition that involved destroying everything the enemies have, delete Melee Game - Enforce Victory/Defeat Conditions.
Anything else in that trigger you want to delete, have at it!

4. Misc.
I remember not knowing a couple (really) basic things when I started so...
You can Place Items through the Unit Palette, change the Team and at the bottom is Items.
Facing Degrees - 270 degrees is south, 90 degrees is north, 360 degrees - East 180 Degrees - West.
To change the name of the map from Just Another Warcraft III Map, go to the Scenario Tab at the top of your screen. Click Map Description and change the name. You can go through there and also change weather, description, and loading screen.

Modify Tileset. So helpful, so many times. Go to Advanced Tab. Then go to Modify Tileset. Check off the box that says Custom Tileset. Then go through, adding/removing any tiles you want!

Using ctrl+Page Up or ctrl+Page Down you can raise/lower doodads and destructibles.

Well, that's about all for starting off. If you want to learn more about warcraft 3 world editor, go to http://world-editor-tutorials.thehelper.net/
Lots of great tutorials there to get you started.

Knight7770

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped aliophobia
Reaction score
This is very nice, but aren't there enough of these around?

PurgeandFire

zxcvmkgdfg
Reaction score
Maybe briefly explain each item in the Button Tabs. (ex: File, Window [the upper most toolbar])

Because I think it is too short to be a tutorial and is too specific (on the topics) to cover a widely based subject.

But I guess it is fine what you have atm. Gj.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.