World Editor vs World Editor Unlimited?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

shadowvzs

i dont know we or weu is better in map speed and stability/compatibility with wc3?

zoll3

Reaction score
World editor is standard and got all most functionally options .. but the unlimited got a few more things , and then it takes more space and so .. i dont know whats best u can just try it out and see what u like best ..

Rheias

New Helper (I got over 2000 posts)
Reaction score
Ah, there were dozens of threads made about this. It's personal. I use regular world editor only. World Editor Unlimited can't do anything that you can't do in World Editor, only make it simpler. Also it was said that it has a higher corrupting rate.

Leo

Reaction score
This topic is discussed like every other week, try searching and you can find many threads with the pros and cons.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
> World Editor Unlimited can't do anything that you can't do in World Editor
QFT

> only make it simpler
But the things it makes simple are usually dangerous and not something most users should toy with. This one of the reasons people get those "WEU corrupted my map" stuff.

Either way WEU is now officially obsolete. It's not intended to work with 1.21 (although it does in a way) and it's not going to be updated anymore. If you want a better editor learn Jass and get NewGen.

S

shadowvzs

Either way WEU is now officially obsolete. It's not intended to work with 1.21 (although it does in a way) and it's not going to be updated anymore. If you want a better editor learn Jass and get NewGen.

this is the new gen thing: NewGen WorldEditor.exe? because when i start then run the normal world editor, where the difference? sry i am noob....

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
> typo
:confused:
QFT=Quoted For Truth

> where the difference
1) Removes limits
2) Does Jass preprocessing when saving...if you don't know Jass you wont have any use from this though

Rheias

Reaction score
NewGen editor breaks many limits of JASS (most of the limits caused by the bloody syntax checker). I don't use it, I didn't find yet need of it, however the whole JASSing community is moving to it, so I guess I'll need to move there as well soon enough. If only there was a decent tutorial to ease the learning process...

As far as I know, no need to NewGen pack if you use GUI.

Terrabull

Veteran Member (Done that)
Reaction score
>
If you want a better editor learn Jass and get NewGen.

Wow, I've never heard a more "STFU n00b" argument from an administrator. Pretty disgraceful that you are a representative of this board.
I haven't had time to learn JASS yet, so I am still using GUI, so WEU lets me do some advanced stuff not possible to me at the moment. You're argument is to not make maps at all because I don't have the proper skills..... That's a very nasty attitude for a "helper" site to have. Aren't you guys supposed to be encouraging and helping the people? Not shutting them down.

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
He's right though.
WEU is 1. crap, 2. outdated.

If you're serious about mapping for wc3, learn JASS.
Once you do, you won't need WEU anymore.

It's perfectly possible to make a great map in GUI only.
It's perfectly possible to make a great map in pure JASS.
Though, on the other hand, it's equally perfectly possible to make a crappy map in both GUI and JASS.

Rheias

Reaction score
> Terrabull

I'm amazed, yes, amazed by your post. SFilip is a well respected member that does nothing but constantly helping. What he did is suggesting another type of world editor, why would that be an insult? He didn't discourage by anyway any member but simply said there is another optional WE.

Allow me to stop here because this thread is going way off topic.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
> You're argument is to not make maps at all because I don't have the proper skills
Of course not...whatever made you think that?
"If you want a better editor" doesn't imply that someone should "STFU" or stop mapping if he uses normal WE. Just a mere matter of preference really, but someone who doesn't know Jass probably wont prefer NewGen here as he wouldn't be able to make use of what it really can do.
And yes, NewGen can actually be considered as better since it indeed allows things not possible with the original WE.
WEU on the other hand only makes some things somewhat easier to do. However this "easier" might end up more difficult for some people as not everyone likes the way it organizes things or the fact that it increases the map's size.

Mr Zero

Junior Regular (Got the T-shirt)
Reaction score
> You're argument is to not make maps at all because I don't have the proper skills
Of course not...whatever made you think that?
"If you want a better editor" doesn't imply that someone should "STFU" or stop mapping if he uses normal WE. Just a mere matter of preference really, but someone who doesn't know Jass probably wont prefer NewGen here as he wouldn't be able to make use of what it really can do.
And yes, NewGen can actually be considered as better since it indeed allows things not possible with the original WE.
WEU on the other hand only makes some things somewhat easier to do. However this "easier" might end up more difficult for some people as not everyone likes the way it organizes things or the fact that it increases the map's size.

But is these new things is that somethat useful for us who just make a map?
I mean I don't want to know a lot of random stuff about WC3's engine.
I just wanna have a great time making my map and other people enjoying it. Will people even be able to tell the diffrent?

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, I've never heard a more "STFU n00b" argument from an administrator. Pretty disgraceful that you are a representative of this board.
I haven't had time to learn JASS yet, so I am still using GUI, so WEU lets me do some advanced stuff not possible to me at the moment. You're argument is to not make maps at all because I don't have the proper skills..... That's a very nasty attitude for a "helper" site to have. Aren't you guys supposed to be encouraging and helping the people? Not shutting them down.

Didn't notice a "shutting them down" attitude in his post whatsoever.

We do encourage helping and we do it. Support your argument with proofs that we don't, please? :rolleyes:

-------------------------------

I myself experienced a WEU corruption on my map without any reason... Fortunately the map was new.

I don't suggest WEU to anyone as it doesn't really improve your mapping experience, and as stated above, WE can already do a lot of things. WEU is also not supported anymore.

As usual, I'll prone a "do whatever you wish though" attitude ;) Test it yourself, you'll be able to judge.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
> useful for us who just make a map?
Most likely, yes, it is useful for map makers as it can make your code cleaner and allow you to do some things faster and easier.

> know a lot of random stuff about WC3's engine
You don't have to, really.

> Will people even be able to tell the diffrent?
I doubt it, no, NewGen is mostly focused towards the mapper. Most players don't even care though, as long as the map can be played that is...

~GaLs~

† Ғσſ ŧħə ѕαĸε Φƒ ~Ğ䣚~ †
Reaction score
though now should i change back to we?
I am using weu now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.